Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jul 4, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #316 of 1,427
jazz double bass for example sounds perfect

This was the review I’ve been waiting for. Mine should be otw right now with a balanced cable. I’ll run them mostly with ifi xcan - if you find the es100 lacking for power, even in balanced, the xcan is a good upgrade.

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #317 of 1,427
when are you getting the aten? im really interested on those
They are supposed to be shipping next week so as I'm in the UK should have them by next weekend.
The plan is to only keep one of them LOL

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #318 of 1,427
Mine arrived an hour ago. Definitely harder to run than most I've tried. I'm using the Radon ES100 with the 3.5mm output running on 2x Current.
Volume is almost maxed out on some quieter tracks, but not quite.
So far, for the money I'm very impressed actually. As others have said, not quite the low bass rumble I enjoy but jazz double bass for example sounds perfect and very clear/textured. Same with brass instruments. Drums sound natural and not 'boxy' at all. Cymbals have a nice 'ting' to them without sounding like bells.
Treble isn't harsh at all, in fact I usually like a slightly more airy sound but of course, these have only been used for an hour so later over the weekend I should know more. I can always tweak the EQ on the ES100 if necessary but I might not bother. I'll see how they run-in (or not)
I've been using IMR R1s for the past year or more and they are superb, so I've ordered the Aten R2s to compare with these P1s.
I've swapped my R1 foam tips onto these for now as they give a better seal than the stock grey tips from Tin.
Light, comfortable so far, good fit but now I need to order the balanced cable to give them their best chance. Hopefully they'll extend a bit in both directions and the soundstage might open slightly. It's not narrow, but not as wide as the R1s for instance, more like my HD6xx. These are clearly faster than the Sennheisers though and with more top end. About the same lower end extension, which isn't terrible. as I said.
I'd say they are a bargain.

Agreed on the jazz double bass, they handle it really well with natural timbre and great texture, very impressive but only when powered properly. They do sound thin and lacking texture if used with the wrong source.

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #319 of 1,427

They are supposed to be shipping next week so as I'm in the UK should have them by next weekend.
The plan is to only keep one of them LOL
I can't wait for your impressions. Mine won't be here for another week after, likely.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #321 of 1,427
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #322 of 1,427
Sound promising at 25-30 (half volume) on QP1r (f/w1.08) Brand New Heavies - Shelter.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #323 of 1,427
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #324 of 1,427
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #325 of 1,427
I had to cancel my order due to my LG V20 not being able to drive them, trouble is I still really want them.

I have the V20 and I was just using it to power my 300 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s..
I had to crank the volume to almost full, but I was using no external amp/dac.
It sounded amazing and was definitely LOUD to my ears..
I can't imagine the P1 will need more power then my DT880 full size 300Ohm headphones...

BTW: I also use the Neutron Player on my V20 and LOVE it!
It's the only music App I trust to give me "BIT Perfect" playback.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #326 of 1,427
I have the V20 and I was just using it to power my 300 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s..
I had to crank the volume to almost full, but I was using no external amp/dac.
It sounded amazing and was definitely LOUD to my ears..
I can't imagine the P1 will need more power then my DT880 full size 300Ohm headphones...

BTW: I also use the Neutron Player on my V20 and LOVE it!
It's the only music App I trust to give me "BIT Perfect" playback.

it can be loud but it still not drived properly and i know cuz my friend actually owned dt880 with v30 it can't drive that at all.

i dont get how u can say it can be driven by that.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #327 of 1,427
it can be loud but it still not drived properly and i know cuz my friend actually owned dt880 with v30 it can't drive that at all.

i dont get how u can say it can be driven by that.

Well -Obviously- the DT880 Pro (250 Ohm) will BENEFIT from the use of an amp with the V20...
But in terms of volume, the V20 is MORE than loud enough.

I still stand by what I said: that they sound amazing driven by my LG V20.
But -YES- they would sound even better with an AMP between them.

{Also, I need to edit my post because I said my DT880 is 300 Ohm, when it is in fact 250 Ohm.
I was confusing it with the HD600}

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #329 of 1,427

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #330 of 1,427
This was the review I’ve been waiting for. Mine should be otw right now with a balanced cable. I’ll run them mostly with ifi xcan - if you find the es100 lacking for power, even in balanced, the xcan is a good upgrade.
How can most every review call the P1 slightly shy in bass then someone report that they are great for Jazz double bass? Just curious. Jazz double bass has very low and deep air. Wonder if the P1 can do that part of the bass. Jaco maybe. haaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back