Tin HiFi Impressions Thread
May 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #451 of 673

Nice review. I think the green tips in the box look eerily similar Sound wave tips, which I find add the much needed bite, energy and body to the Tin earphones which is somewhat inline with what you experienced as well. I used them with T2 and T2+, and they sound completely different. My T2+sound wave tips+BT20 is now my most preferred OTG combo.

Tips are available here in case you are curious - https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07FDC5C6Z/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 1, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #452 of 673
Nice review. I think the green tips in the box look eerily similar Sound wave tips, which I find add the much needed bite, energy and body to the Tin earphones which is somewhat inline with what you experienced as well. I used them with T2 and T2+, and they sound completely different. My T2+sound wave tips+BT20 is now my most preferred OTG combo.

Tips are available here in case you are curious - https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B07FDC5C6Z/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That’s not my review. I’ve seen DUNU make copies of Sony Hybrid Tips that look a lot like those. Maybe there is many different styles of those tips? But typically they are reminiscent of Sony?

May 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #453 of 673
That’s not my review. I’ve seen DUNU make copies of Sony Hybrid Tips that look a lot like those. Maybe there is many different styles of those tips? But typically they are reminiscent of Sony?
Oops my bad! Thought it was from you. Yes they are. They're even sold as alternatives to Sony tips.

May 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #454 of 673
Oops my bad! Thought it was from you. Yes they are. They're even sold as alternatives to Sony tips.
No your right, I should have listed the review as not mine. (I just updated that older post.)

Here are the DUNU tips in contrast to the actual Sony tips.
The ones to the right, the shorter tips are the DUNU, the left ones (with red arrows) are the Sony Hybrid Tips.

It will be interesting how close they come to the Sony tips.
8AA307E2-EC6D-4007-8039-3838EFBA92D3.jpeg

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #455 of 673
No your right, I should have listed the review as not mine. Here are the DUNU tips in contrast to the actual Sony tips.

The ones to the right, the shorter tips are the DUNU, the left ones (with red arrows) are the Sony Hybrid Tips.

It will be interesting how close they come to the Sony tips.
8AA307E2-EC6D-4007-8039-3838EFBA92D3.jpeg
The shape is slightly different. Sonys are more spherical whereas Dunus have a flatter dome-like shape. This directly will impact insertion depth and nozzle placement in the ears. Sound wave tips too are like Dunu tips.

So maybe except the materials used, they will sound somewhat different.

May 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #456 of 673
The shape is slightly different. Sonys are more spherical whereas Dunus have a flatter dome-like shape. This directly will impact insertion depth and nozzle placement in the ears. Sound wave tips too are like Dunu tips.

So maybe except the materials used, they will sound somewhat different.

Well, the Sony tips are different? The length is different and maybe the material is different too? It is funny how such small things are a big difference.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #457 of 673
graph (4).png
http://iems.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Antdroid Target,T5

I'm wrapping up my first impressions of it and will post it today or tomorrow. I have a different take so far. While the bass area is fine, the treble region is just overly bright for my tastes and I find it extremely fatiguing for acoustical music, which is primarily what I listen to nowadays. It performs better on EDM and pop and some rock music, but still find the upper mid-range and treble to sound very thin, harsh, and unnatural.

The build, fit, case, and everything else is pretty solid. This one leans more "fun" and is easily the most v-shape Tin I can remember outside their disappointing TWS2000.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #458 of 673
Hey everyone, I was also sent a T5 by Linsoul for evaluation. Like Antdroid, it was requested that I post some thoughts pre-release so that people can better make an informed purchase decision.

graph-4.png

I think a lot of people were hoping for an upgrade to the T4. For reference, the T4 is an IEM that I think is pretty solid; it's definitely one of the easier $100 recommendations. Unfortunately, the T5 is not an upgrade in my humble opinion. It is much more closely V-shaped and, to my ears, not for the better. The bass on the T5 is unremarkable (honestly, it's pretty hard to screw this part up), but the midrange is where things get strange. Male vocalists sound somewhere between bloated and sucked-out, while female vocalists have a glassy quality to their voice, like their upper-harmonics have been upwards-compressed. I would surmise this is attributable to the overly-pronounced shift into the lower-treble. It simply sounds tonally off. Like so, I also dislike the treble of the T5. It sounds chalky thanks to the overt 5kHz peak - like the attack extends through further than it should - and generally hard to listen to. Technicalities are more or less a case of what you might expect, but if you're asking me, the T5 resolves more akin to a $50 IEM.

Ultimately, I'm left somewhat torn by Tin Audio's decision to go in this direction. The T2 and T4, while I may not have been the biggest fan of these IEMs, were at the very least competently tuned. The T5 is simply not. It is more closely a regression to the lowest-common denominator tunings that dominate the mainstream market. While yes, sales talk, this isn't the type of tuning that I - and I would suggest many of Tin Audio's fans - wanted. I'd really recommend sticking with the T4 for now, unless you're on a mission to collect all the Tin IEMs or something like that. Most know that I am a very critical reviewer; nonetheless, it stands that this is my honest opinion.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #459 of 673
May 2, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #460 of 673
DOC means diamond-like-carbon overcoat. If I'm understanding correctly the stuff I read it means a film of diamond-like-carbon obtained by chemical vapor deposition (CVD) is further coated by physical vapor deposition (PVD), combining the advantages of both. As CVD is a high temperature process, the carbon material certainly cannot be deposited on polymer substrates and if Tin's use of DOC terminology is correct this would presumably mean these T5 diaphragms are either pure DLC or use an unspecified high temperature substrate. It would be interesting to know more precisely what this is all about.

I understand people who heard them don't much like the tuning but how is the technical performance?

May 3, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #461 of 673
Guys, it's not that complicated, really...

The Tin HiFi T-Series aims to cover multiple sound signatures: they have the lean T2 with its tight, reserved bass, the balanced T2+ and the meatier, light V-shaped T4. The T5 is aimed at those who want more/bigger bass, which is a good thing to aim for. Unfortunately, the T5 simply doesn't live up to expectations. Regardless of the tuning, T5 is just a very ordinary IEM with many shortcomings. Not only is the tuning off but the technicalities also fail to impress.

Here's my full review (incl video).
DSC02311_result.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #464 of 673
Are they trying to get rid of these quick?

hmmmmmm.jpg
Nah. The early bird price is inline with what was communicated earlier. But can totally see them going for $70-80 in June sale on AliExpress

Users who are viewing this thread

Back