Time.com ranks 18 Headphone Brands
May 4, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, it's not really interesting.  I mean 75% of the rating is from "expert" reviews - namely:

CNET, Wired, TechCrunch, What HiFi, Good Gear Guide, PC Mag

Now, I think there are serious headphone folks at a number of those places, but even the good reviewers have different goals in what they're viewing (e.g., good consumer values, versus audiophile grade).  And how do you weigh the difference between folks who have a ton of experience and know what they're talking about and those whose job is to just trudge through a dozen $150 gaming cans for a top 3? 

Then 25% is specs and features (frequency, sensitivity, noise canceling, etc.)?  I have no idea how to weigh the first two.  Some of the best sounding headphones have crap frequency extension/flatness (and how did Grado make the top 3 if this was an important factor?).  And I don't know of any feature that actually makes a headphone sound any better.

Blah.  Already spent more time writing a response than the web article merits. 

But, I do think it is interesting to note that as mobile continues to dominate our lives, mobile audio matters as well.  And this is recognition of this trend.

May 4, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Eh, I'm being unfair.  The article does provide value in arguing brands like Beats and Bose aren't the end all be all (and are actually very low) on the audio spectrum.  That is useful and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back