Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Aug 2, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,666 of 1,853
I am well aware on how to listen to HD music on my ADI-2. I do so on Qobuz quite regularly and have for many years already. Chrome OS, unlike Windows, doesn't require any ASIO driver installation, with the only notable limitation being that it doesn't support 88.2 or the even rarer 176k.

That's incorrect. Either you use ASIO or WASAPI drivers or you go through the Windows audio stack.

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,667 of 1,853
That's incorrect. Either you use ASIO or WASAPI drivers or you go through the Windows audio stack.
What part of Chrome OS are you not reading? I'm not using Windows... and yes, I am definitely listening to HD audio already via Qobuz SMH.

Here are a couple of 24/96 albums:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/91904802
https://tidal.com/browse/album/641083

I can't find an index or any way to search, so it's just random clicking...

Awesome, can confirm 96k playback, non MQA :) Also interesting they are thankfully labeling the format in the track names... hopefully they get more FLAC ASAP!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,668 of 1,853
If you're using Tidal through Roon or Audirvana, does it still show the format?

Yes it does (Roon). I probably should have tried that first... :wink:

Update - actually, Roon isn't listing any of the hi-res Flac albums, so I guess it needs updating...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,669 of 1,853
TIDAL now allowing you to hear both MQA and FLAC versions ... this will blow the lid open on Pandora's box for a whole new round of hundreds of thousands of pages of forum debates! Yay, how special and exciting!

1691011644893.png

That's right, you can hear them both side by side.

Disclaimer: in the past, I (usually but not always) preferred what Tidal called the "master MQA" version of a track, over the "HiFi CD quality" version of the track (which was however a "perceptually lossless" MQA compression itself), and thus, in the past, "I like the MQA more than the CD quality version" had lots of holes for rabid drooling MQA haters to come in and pick apart your foundational assumptions that you were even comparing apples to apples (or is it apples to oranges?)

Disclaimer 2: I have not yet compared an MQA to one of the new lossless FLACs, but this will be interesting.

One thing is for sure, TIDAL streamers will be the only ones who have the privilege of hearing both formats. So this is a big step forward for TIDAL to separate itself from this format war and allow everyone to hear what they like (and I suspect, because of it, some nay-sayers will be very bothered by the fact they like some of the MQA versions more!)

Attachments

• 1691011530567.png
    1691011530567.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 2, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,670 of 1,853
What part of Chrome OS are you not reading?

The OS part :D Sorry, my bad.

Anyway, I haven't seen anything you wrote that suggests that you have bitperfect with that.

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,671 of 1,853
I do have to laugh at a "format war" over a format that was only ever available on one streaming service...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,672 of 1,853
Dear All:

i'm a long time audiophile who just got a new system and a dedicated listening chair.

as such, i'd like to use a larger interface than my phone to be used exclusively at my listening chair and exclusively with Tidal. i don't stream from any other music streaming service.

i don't have any Apple devices so i'd like to limit this tablet search to Android-based tablets, please.

Samsung is coming out with their latest high end tablet, the Tab 9/9+/9 Ultra, at 11"/12.4"/14.6".

i realize that screen real estate is one thing, but ergonomics and comfort/ease of holding the tablet is a key parameter as well. i visited the local Apple store (for convenience) and tried out their 11" and 12.9" tablets. while 12.4" isn't exactly the same as 12.9", they are sufficiently similar, i thought, to make this exercise productive. the 12.4" feels a bit unwieldy to hold and handle, especially over a period of time.

this visit kind of made me conclude that 11" might be a good sweet spot, while the 12.4"is a bit too heavy/large/unwieldy.

again, this is mostly for the Tidal interface use at my listening chair position only. sure, such a high end tablet might well turn out to be handy to bring around the home as well - we shall see. but my main use is aimed for the BEST Tidal interface on a tablet and what tablet size is ideal for Tidal's interface please.

any experienced comments would be most welcome.

thank you gentlemen for your thoughtful help.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,673 of 1,853
I have only seen 44.1 and MQA so far using my Hiby R5 (which displays bitrate in the status bar). 360 Reality Audio does show at 48 kHz which is normal. I am also having issues with track changes causing the music to stop completely, and it can't be restarted by pressing Play. Ultimately it gives a connection error although the wifi is good.
I've seen 88.2 and 96 so far for non-MQA, most albums seem to be 44.1 or MQA though.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #1,674 of 1,853
again, this is mostly for the Tidal interface use at my listening chair position only. sure, such a high end tablet might well turn out to be handy to bring around the home as well - we shall see. but my main use is aimed for the BEST Tidal interface on a tablet and what tablet size is ideal for Tidal's interface please.
since it is "just" for interface... Take a look at the cheaper versions of samsung tabs like s6 lite or so. More than enough here because it will be the same thing at the very end.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,675 of 1,853
since it is "just" for interface... Take a look at the cheaper versions of samsung tabs like s6 lite or so. More than enough here because it will be the same thing at the very end.
@The1Signature -
Thanks for your thought.

May i ask what size you feel is optimal?

Is 11" ideal? 12.4"? Or...?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #1,676 of 1,853
@The1Signature -
Thanks for your thought.

May i ask what size you feel is optimal?

Is 11" ideal? 12.4"? Or...?

Thanks.
Look at the Tab S7 FE

It only comes in 12,4 inch. Great product for a fair price. Especially if you check the used marked - around 300-350 dollars.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,677 of 1,853
TIDAL now allowing you to hear both MQA and FLAC versions ... this will blow the lid open on Pandora's box for a whole new round of hundreds of thousands of pages of forum debates! Yay, how special and exciting!
I just updated on my iPad to 2.86.0 build 5191. I do not see the “Max” icon. Anyone else on iOS seeing “Max”?

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,678 of 1,853
I just updated on my iPad to 2.86.0 build 5191. I do not see the “Max” icon. Anyone else on iOS seeing “Max”?

Yes, my iPad is showing Max after an update that loaded today. It's probably just starting to roll out and Apple seems to do it in stages.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #1,679 of 1,853
Well, they disabled even being able to see if something is MQA or Masters. The only clue you have is your DAC showing it. Now you can't even selectively pick different cuts of the same album based on knowing whether they're MQA or not. This is a disaster, didn't they learn anything from being secretive before?

I literally have to click multiple versions of the same track to find out what format it will be. In addition it seems that they are just deleting MQA wherever they have a HiRes Flac to replace it with. Even if you liked the MQA version of a particular recording better.

This is a disastrophe! Am I just missing something or did they literally take away Hifi+ people's ability to select the higher quality tracks to hear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back