Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
May 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #616 of 1,853
that statement only mentions things on the dap but not as a usb dac, i have asked in sr15 thread to no answers

The upgrade is to the DAC inside the SR15, so it should work. But given the prices of A&K products, I understand why you'd want some reassurance. I suggest contacting A&K directly.

May 17, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #619 of 1,853
Sometimes I lose the MQA versions of albums on TIDAL. Sgt. Pepper's and Jazz Samba by Stan Getz are no longer available. Anyone know why? Thanks.
Tidal for whatever reason are continually changing their library. Tracks, albums etc are not destined to remain on Tidal forever ever for the most popular artists can just disappear

May 17, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #620 of 1,853
i think they're perpetually going through licensing issues. i've noticed that Neil Young and Nina Simone have disappeared for me. i was able to find Neil Young back by going through a Turkish VPN server, i wasn't able to find all of the Nina Simone no matter what server i used.

there's a great spreadsheet available on-line if you search for "complete mqa list" that lists all of the MQA albums that people have found with a direct link. what i found is that the albums don't really go away, they just become unavailable in certain regions. certainly a hassle.

btw, i still see Sgt Pep "Super Delux" master but not the jazz samba. the mqa spreadsheet does state that jazz samba was available in both 192 and 96 quality.

Sometimes I lose the MQA versions of albums on TIDAL. Sgt. Pepper's and Jazz Samba by Stan Getz are no longer available. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #622 of 1,853

Time to start buying new CD burners and cassette decks :wink:

May 18, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #623 of 1,853

I mentioned this on another forum, and someone found the "Deluxe Edition" of Sgt. Pepper's in MQA: https://tidal.com/album/95648356

I seem to recall another version of Sgt. Pepper's in MQA though.

And Jazz Samba MQA is still MIA.

May 18, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #624 of 1,853
We probably ought to start a thread on new MQA appearances and disappearances to keep track of this. Annoying!

May 23, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #627 of 1,853
It really doesn't matter. MQA seems kinda dumb to me since nobody needs compression or worries about bandwidth in 2019.

But it sounds good to me so I listen to it.

May 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #628 of 1,853
It really doesn't matter. MQA seems kinda dumb to me since nobody needs compression or worries about bandwidth in 2019.

But it sounds good to me so I listen to it.

MQA is also supposed to add a new dimension to the reproduction: the time domain. Maybe I just don't have the right equipment or the right ears, but I've never heard a difference between MQA and a Hi-Res file of equivalent resolution.

May 23, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #629 of 1,853
It really doesn't matter. MQA seems kinda dumb to me since nobody needs compression or worries about bandwidth in 2019

Bandwidth is still an issue here in the US. I have AT&T “unlimited” plan, but they start throttling speeds after 23 gig in a month. I usually hit that with 4 or 5 days left in my billing cycle, and then my streaming gets choppy and unreliable until the next cycle hits. MQA helps, but I’ve been using Qobuz lately and that murders my data allowance. I can’t hear a difference in MQA and Qobuz hi-res. I’ve started downloading more and trying to watch less YouTube, but I really don’t like the hassle of having to worry about how much data I used. They should change the name, it’s certainly not unlimited.

May 23, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #630 of 1,853
That's exactly right: Bandwidth is still a big deal in USA. Unlimited plans from big carriers cost $100/month (less for additional phones on a family plan). And even those have data caps, as described by @abirdie4me.

In comparison, my wife and I paid $15/month for plans with 15GB LTE data, when we were in Denmark last year. And that country is generally much more expensive than USA in almost every other way.

This is what happens when a country lets big companies and industry write their own legislation and fill the seats in the regulatory bodies that are meant to oversee them: What was supposed to be fierce competition driven by a free market, becomes actual lack of competition, when a few players can comfortably divide the market between them -- as long as they appear to be competing, of course.

Edit: I should add that AT&T's CEO received $29 million in compensation last year, and their stock pays 6% dividend. So the model is working for some :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back