Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Apr 3, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #587 of 1,853
So i bought the lg g7, how can connect it to the pc or receiver marantz to use tidal mqa? the lg make full decode or not?

The G7 (assuming you didn't get the Android One version) has full hardware MQA decoding and rendering (1st and 2nd unfold) when playing music through its 3.5 headphone jack. So you can connect it straight to a line-in on the Marantz, which will put the G7 in Aux mode (it's middle gain mode). Many 3.5mm to RCA cables are pretty poor quality. I've had great results with this Monoprice cable. (Extremely heavy, 3.5mm plug won't fit through any phone cases. Don't be fooled by its low price.)

As previously discussed, I'll be curious to hear your SQ findings, as G7 was designed as a headphone amp, not for driving a full-size rig with floor speakers.

Also as previously discussed, you can play Master/MQA files directly from the Tidal app with full quality, full decoding, no molestation (assuming you avoid any EQ or other effects). For Redbook tracks (non-Master) you need UAPP to avoid upsampling to 48kHz. This precludes offline mode which cannot be supported by UAPP. You can try playing them directly in the Tidal app -- and I'll be interested if you hear the difference caused by the upsampling, since it's usually only audible with sensitive IEMs.

You connect the G7 to your PC by first installing the LG Universal Mobile Driver and then plugging the phone into the USB port. That will allow you to copy music files (usually FLAC) to the phone's internal memory. You cannot use the G7 as a USB DAC from your PC. I think that was pointed out during the previously discussion.

Check the following thread for more info:

Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #588 of 1,853
MQA is now officially available for the Pro iDSD

As some of you good people know, Beta firmware v2.1MQA has been available on our website since 27 February.

The Beta version has now been confirmed as the official current firmware for the Pro iDSD.

From MQA:

“iFi Audio is announcing the latest firmware update for the Pro iDSD making it the first in the range to support full MQA decoding. The DAC can also be paired with any CD player to experience MQA-CD playback.”

You can download the firmware here (if you haven’t already!)

https://ifi-audio.com/downloads/

Also don’t forget our handy Pro iDSD Tidal MQA tutorials on YouTube.
Come and try it out at Axpona – The iFI team are located at Ear Gear Booth 8323.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 6, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #590 of 1,853
Did you fix this? Having same problem on multiple phones. Checked my settings and downloaded and streamed and all ways it’s only outputting hifi and my dac is showing 44.1.

No, I was unable to fix this!
The iPhone 7 with the latest TIDAL app installed shows only HIFI quality, Master is not an option in the streaming settings, and playing a Master track is played as HIFI (blue colour), not Master.
It is strange since my iPad 2018 does everything right, and it is even capable of sending the digital music files after the first MQA unfold to my AQ Dragonfly Red (with using a lightning camera adapter as OTG cable), and I can enjoy the best quality from an IOS device so far.
Any suggestions?

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #591 of 1,853
Yes delete the Tidal app from your phone and then add it again. Check the settings.

Sometimes it needs that. also make sure your IOS operating system is up to date .

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #592 of 1,853
The iPhone 7 with the latest TIDAL app installed shows only HIFI quality, Master is not an option in the streaming settings, and playing a Master track is played as HIFI (blue colour), not Master.
It is strange since my iPad 2018 does everything right, and it is even capable of sending the digital music files after the first MQA unfold to my AQ Dragonfly Red (with using a lightning camera adapter as OTG cable), and I can enjoy the best quality from an IOS device so far.
Any suggestions?

What global said below. Make sure you have latest os and then delete tidal and reinstall. That did it for me on multiple phones.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #593 of 1,853
Any suggestions?

I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 12.2. Can you confirm the version of your Tidal app? It needs to be 2.7.x. You can check this by going to 'My Collection' and clicking the gear icon. Then scroll down to the end. I had an issue where my Tidal app didn't update for a couple of days.

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #594 of 1,853
Yes delete the Tidal app from your phone and then add it again. Check the settings.

Sometimes it needs that. also make sure your IOS operating system is up to date .

In the meantime I solved the problem! I uninstalled TIDAL IOS app, and when I tried to reinstall it it said: "Do you want to install an earlier version of the app?"
This was the moment I realized that my wife's phone had an earlier version of IOS. I installed the latest IOS version and after that I installed TIDAL app.
Now I was able to chose Master quality streaming options in the menu, and now I can play Master albums.
Coming back to my PC to inform you I realized that you suggested the same :)
Thank you anyway your kind help.

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #596 of 1,853
I was able to update the app on my iPhone and get MQA.

I also have an iPad 4th Gen. iOS is up to date. For some reason I’m unable to download the most recent tidal version. It always reverts to the pre-MQA version.

Is my iPad not compatible?

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #598 of 1,853
Does your iPad support os12.2? I have iPhone 5 that can’t get OS12 so can’t do mqa.

This appears to be the issue. The 4th Gen iPad is work issued and had security profiles set up on it and was on iOS 10.3. When I went to update the iOS, it wouldn’t recognize needing an update. So either the iPad isn’t capable of the update or the work profiles are locking it down.

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #599 of 1,853
The G7 (assuming you didn't get the Android One version) has full hardware MQA decoding and rendering (1st and 2nd unfold) when playing music through its 3.5 headphone jack. So you can connect it straight to a line-in on the Marantz, which will put the G7 in Aux mode (it's middle gain mode). Many 3.5mm to RCA cables are pretty poor quality. I've had great results with this Monoprice cable. (Extremely heavy, 3.5mm plug won't fit through any phone cases. Don't be fooled by its low price.)

As previously discussed, I'll be curious to hear your SQ findings, as G7 was designed as a headphone amp, not for driving a full-size rig with floor speakers.

Also as previously discussed, you can play Master/MQA files directly from the Tidal app with full quality, full decoding, no molestation (assuming you avoid any EQ or other effects). For Redbook tracks (non-Master) you need UAPP to avoid upsampling to 48kHz. This precludes offline mode which cannot be supported by UAPP. You can try playing them directly in the Tidal app -- and I'll be interested if you hear the difference caused by the upsampling, since it's usually only audible with sensitive IEMs.

You connect the G7 to your PC by first installing the LG Universal Mobile Driver and then plugging the phone into the USB port. That will allow you to copy music files (usually FLAC) to the phone's internal memory. You cannot use the G7 as a USB DAC from your PC. I think that was pointed out during the previously discussion.

Check the following thread for more info:

Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30

Thanks for the info, so i find this cable for a recomendation on other forum
https://www.amazon.com/VENTION-Auxi...=1555002680&s=gateway&sprefix=Rca+to+u&sr=8-4

But i dont know if with this cable tidal its using the dac of the g7 or not.

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #600 of 1,853

Users who are viewing this thread

Back