Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Mar 11, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #556 of 1,853
242F5421-2910-44CD-95A7-788D9DACB218.png
AA087522-A016-4C20-9918-09EB4B6292C1.png
Thank you both! I looked under settings thinking there would be a choice from ‘Hifi’ to ‘Masters’ and didn’t see it.

*edit* - turns out my app hadn’t updated. Just did a manual update and I see the masters quality option in settings and on songs/albums.

There is. See pictures.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #558 of 1,853
Congratulations to the iOS folks. I look forward to reports of what your external DAC displays (if it has a display or indicator lights for resolution and/or MQA), and of course how it sounds.

Android owners, you'll notice I did not receive a reply to my report above. That's because it's still the case that the official Tidal app does not bypass the OS resampling. You'll need UAPP for that.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #559 of 1,853
Currently A/B’ing Ziggy Stardust with Tidal master IOS and Apple Music. Just the standard dongle. Something is definitely happening and it’s not a placebo. My iSines are at home. This is though ibasso ito1. My 3 month trial is nearly up. Damn.

Mar 11, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #560 of 1,853
Congratulations to the iOS folks. I look forward to reports of what your external DAC displays (if it has a display or indicator lights for resolution and/or MQA), and of course how it sounds.

Android owners, you'll notice I did not receive a reply to my report above. That's because it's still the case that the official Tidal app does not bypass the OS resampling. You'll need UAPP for that.

Does an iPad work with an AQ DRF now connected with a camera adapter cable?
Anyone tried allready?
If yes can you see a purple color on AQ DRF, indicating the rendering of MQA file after the first unfold made by TIDAL IOS app?

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #562 of 1,853

My Hugo 2 is green which means 96kHz. Sounds great too.

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #565 of 1,853
It seems to me Tidal doesn't offer any hi-res Flac anymore, only in the lossy MQA format.
If I disable Master and put it on HiFi I get CD quality maximium.
Don't they have any hi-res Flac anymore?

I just subscribed for a year to Quobuz Sublime+ where I find quite a bit of hi-res titles and I can buy them at a decent price as well, a feature I really like.
Thinking of dropping Tidal. I use both via Roon.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #566 of 1,853
It seems to me Tidal doesn't offer any hi-res Flac anymore, only in the lossy MQA format.
If I disable Master and put it on HiFi I get CD quality maximium.
Don't they have any hi-res Flac anymore?

I just subscribed for a year to Quobuz Sublime+ where I find quite a bit of hi-res titles and I can buy them at a decent price as well, a feature I really like.
Thinking of dropping Tidal. I use both via Roon.

Most of the 40 million tracks on Tidal are CD-quality. Only about 160,000 are MQA. Most of the 40 million tracks on Qobuz are also CD-quality, but about 2,000,000 are Hi-Res.

You cannot turn off the Tidal MQA/Masters feature entirely, but you can avoid those albums because usually there is also a CD-quality version there as well. Similarly, Qobuz often offers both Hi-Res and CD-quality versions of an album.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #567 of 1,853
Most of the 40 million tracks on Tidal are CD-quality. Only about 160,000 are MQA. Most of the 40 million tracks on Qobuz are also CD-quality, but about 2,000,000 are Hi-Res.

You cannot turn off the Tidal MQA/Masters feature entirely, but you can avoid those albums because usually there is also a CD-quality version there as well. Similarly, Qobuz often offers both Hi-Res and CD-quality versions of an album.

Thanks for the figures, puts things into perspective indeed. A nice part of the music I select is high-res though but it depends on what genres I'm listening too.
Yep, I do "avoid" it by selecting hifi instead of masters in the preferences of the Tidal app in my computer although I rarely use the app.
In Roon I disable MQA in the DAC preferences so I get CD-quality FLAC as well.
Now it's finding out if I still need Tidal next to Quobuz for the music I'm listening to. Will take a few months of use to find out if I'd miss much by using Quobuz alone.

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #570 of 1,853
can someone here advise a "wireless dac" that i can use with audirvana? i essentially want to hook the dac into my receiver and stream to it accross the room/house from audirvana on my laptop. if something like that could be under $500 that would be appreciated.

so far i found onkyo tx-8270 network receiver, but was wondering what else is out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back