Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
May 30, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #646 of 1,853
and then Amazon will come along and undercut everyone with their Hi Rez service.

May 30, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #648 of 1,853
Here Quboz is about 2X the price of Tidal hifi. Well, that's technically not true since Quboz is not offered here. But if I compare the UK price to Tidal hifi in Czech Republic it is.

I don't think anybody has sound quality issues with either service. Tidal user interface is terrible, Windows app is crap. Haven't used Quboz so I don't know. I think it mostly comes down to the catalogs. If you find one of them has most of the music you want get the cheaper one.

I use Audirvana with TIDAL. Works well for me. Sounds great - better than Roon.

May 30, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #649 of 1,853
I would be OK with that if the quality and catalog is there. But last I checked Amazon Music was a joke. Admittedly, that's a while ago.

Amazon Prime Unlimited has a great catalogue now, however, The interface needs a complete makeover and the iOS app is so clunky but being improved daily. Family plan is good value though. I use Tidal though as my streaming service at home. Amazon on the move.

May 31, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #650 of 1,853
and then Amazon will come along and undercut everyone with their Hi Rez service.

It wouldn't change my life. I don't use Amazon. I guess everybody who doesn't live in America is sick of Amazon's dynamic pricing and vendors taking advantage of us by charging 2-3X the American price and also unrealistic shipping.

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #651 of 1,853
This is what I’m seeing in the Roon app on my iPad mini.
keep it short and simple like this
:
Untitled.jpg

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #653 of 1,853
Anyone having random MQA drop outs with the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital?
Spent 70$ on a higher end cable, no dice. LPS on the way too.

I own that DAC too, and it has done the same thing to me. It is known to be more sensitive than most to imperfections in an MQA signal, and for not falling back smoothly to an undecoded format when that happens.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #654 of 1,853
I own that DAC too, and it has done the same thing to me. It is known to be more sensitive than most to imperfections in an MQA signal, and for not falling back smoothly to an undecoded format when that happens.
Really appreciate your response. Guess I will have to save my pennies for a better DAC.
Although I just listened to most of the Sgt. Pepper's Deluxe album and not a single drop out.

Why you tease me like this Pro-ject? I want to love you.

Hope we save some people from spending their money on problematic MQA decoding.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #655 of 1,853
Anyone having random MQA drop outs with the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital?
Spent 70$ on a higher end cable, no dice. LPS on the way too.

Bought the Project myself, sent it back constant problems and sounded worse than my Cambridge Audio DAC without MQA. Bought a iFi DSD Black Label, night and day difference no drop outs great sound.

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #656 of 1,853
Really appreciate your response. Guess I will have to save my pennies for a better DAC.
Although I just listened to most of the Sgt. Pepper's Deluxe album and not a single drop out.

Why you tease me like this Pro-ject? I want to love you.

Hope we save some people from spending their money on problematic MQA decoding.

Pro-Ject's testing and support of this entire product line have been disappointing. But your problem seems worse than most, and I look forward to seeing your reports if you try any of the suggestions you're getting on other forums, such as settling for MQB, or improving MQA performance by adding a USB clean-up accessory.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #657 of 1,853
Pro-Ject's testing and support of this entire product line have been disappointing. But your problem seems worse than most, and I look forward to seeing your reports if you try any of the suggestions you're getting on other forums, such as settling for MQB, or improving MQA performance by adding a USB clean-up accessory.

As much as I want to throw more money to solve this issue. Most options will cost me an extra $200CAD.
And this doesn't even guarantee me a solution. Might have to sell this thing and get a better DAC.

Sucks, hopefully people stop buying this broken product.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #658 of 1,853
Already bought a Sonore Microrendu. Biggest single improvement I have ever heard from a single component change.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #659 of 1,853
As much as I want to throw more money to solve this issue. Most options will cost me an extra $200CAD.
And this doesn't even guarantee me a solution. Might have to sell this thing and get a better DAC.

Sucks, hopefully people stop buying this broken product.

I certainly wouldn't blame you if you do replace it. I no longer use mine except for testing. Then again, I also didn't like the sound signature.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #660 of 1,853
Already bought a Sonore Microrendu. Biggest single improvement I have ever heard from a single component change.

I had an ultraRendu in the media room here, and it was a good way to clean up the sound but I found it to be unstable at the most inconvenient times. I replaced it with a small fanless low-power PC for about the same price, added an ISO REGEN powered by the LPS-1.2 I was using for the 'Rendu, plus a wireless keyboard, and got the same sonic results plus the ability to see apps on our TV as well as phones and tablets. Those apps include Tidal — MQA in the media room! — as well as Qobuz, Squeezelite-X, and VLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back