Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Jun 15, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #676 of 1,853
I am really not sure. I was running the Windows app in one room through a USB DAC and my girlfriend wanted to listen to something else in another room. She was using the Bluesound app on an Android tablet. I have the bluos controller app on the windows box also but was not using it.

Tidal support is really horrific. The guy was happy to confirm this is not allowed and suggested I look into offline content on Android or iOS. I don't think bluos supports offline Tidal but it's just stupid to have any limit on one IP address. I understand they want people to use a family plan if they are in different locations, but I don't see the issue if I play on a bunch of devices in my house.

Oh, you were playing different music too. That makes it even more likely it will not work. But how frustrating. Given how much money Tidal is losing, I'm not surprised they are getting more difficult about this, but still... Too bad Qobuz is not available in your country: they allow three devices.

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #677 of 1,853
Oh, you were playing different music too. That makes it even more likely it will not work. But how frustrating. Given how much money Tidal is losing, I'm not surprised they are getting more difficult about this, but still... Too bad Qobuz is not available in your country: they allow three devices.

Thanks, that is good info to have. When the next email from them comes telling me they won't change it I'll ask why qobuz allows it but tidal doesn't and I will make a subtle suggestion that I'm looking forward to quboz availability here so I will be allowed to use my account in a more normal way :wink:

TBH tidal hifi is not expensive here (unless you compare to spotify free) and if you just go by the music and not by their apps or customer service it's fine for the price. But I think if I have to use their apps and spend weeks resolving minor crap with their customer service I should get a big refund each month where they actually end up paying me to use it :p

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #678 of 1,853
Picked up the Fiio M11 and loving it so far. Trying to figure out if the Tidal app that I've downloaded via APKPure (M11 has no Google Play support) will play redbook cds at native 44.1 or are upsampling to 48. Is there a way I can check this? I assume the Masters files are playing correctly.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #679 of 1,853
It's clear thank you.
Howewer I can tell you something else.
I tried tidal with 2 different phones and the behavior with external dac is different.
They both use Android Pie.
With s10 plus all is upsampled to 192
With p30 pro it goes to 96
For sure I prefer both options..
So maybe it's a matter also of Andorid version

Can I ask what version of the S10+ you tested - Exynos or Snapdragon? As I understand they have different audio chips.

Jul 7, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #680 of 1,853
Sorry for noobie question.
I have a lg v20 just got tidal hifi, uapp and purchase the mqa upgrade but it still plays mqa in direct 48khz. any idea whats wrong? Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #681 of 1,853
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #682 of 1,853
thanks you're right, uapp bit perfect was not enabled in the setting

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #684 of 1,853
Anyone having random MQA drop outs with the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital?
Spent 70$ on a higher end cable, no dice. LPS on the way too.

Occasionally yes, but attribute these to the network, not the S2. So far love the S2 box, huge improvement over my previous dac, and with Tidal MQA and general hi-res I can hardly complain.

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #685 of 1,853
I am using IFI nano black for MQA rendering and understand that i need to select 'Use exclusive mode' for MQA rendering.

However when i play music in tidal with 'Use exclusive mode' selected, all my other audio output is not working, meaning i cant play 2 audio at the same time if i am playing tidal with 'Use exclusive mode' selected. Example (no in game sound, and youtube video cant play and it is saying audio renderer error)

This problem is solved when i unticked 'Use exclusive mode' in Tidal. Now i can play tidal music and i have in game sound at the same time, or youtube video. However i will have no MQA rendering for Tidal.

Please advise anyway i can have exclusive mode tick and have other audio output (ie. in game sound, youtube etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #686 of 1,853
I am using IFI nano black for MQA rendering and understand that i need to select 'Use exclusive mode' for MQA rendering.

However when i play music in tidal with 'Use exclusive mode' selected, all my other audio output is not working, meaning i cant play 2 audio at the same time if i am playing tidal with 'Use exclusive mode' selected. Example (no in game sound, and youtube video cant play and it is saying audio renderer error)

This problem is solved when i unticked 'Use exclusive mode' in Tidal. Now i can play tidal music and i have in game sound at the same time, or youtube video. However i will have no MQA rendering for Tidal.

Please advise anyway i can have exclusive mode tick and have other audio output (ie. in game sound, youtube etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi-I have the Nano too. By the very definition of Exclusive Mode, Tidal takes total control of your Nano if you select that. So if you try to listen to another music option like youtube or another music player through the Nano, the other player can't work because Tidal has taken control of the device.

The only option you might have, and it works in my case, if you use your other sound source/program with another sound output like regular audio or optical, etc., it will work at the same time. In my case I can choose Tidal Exclusive Mode with a pair of headphones connected to the Nano and, at the same time switch to another set of headphones connected to my front panel audio and listen to another source at the same time. There may be a way that someone knows of getting concurrent output in Exclusive Mode but not that I'm aware of. Hope that made sense.

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #687 of 1,853

Thanks in advance.

Exclusive Mode is designed to do exactly that: prevent Tidal from being interrupted by other audio, like system sounds, website video ads, etc. Those interruptions prevent Tidal from sending the necessary bit perfect signal for MQA rendering and decoding by external DACs. Unless you have two sound outputs as described @BobSmith8901 above, the solutions are to (a) exit the Tidal app, or (b) turn off Exclusive Mode and just enjoy MQA tracks without further rendering.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #688 of 1,853
Enable the "Passthrough MQA" option. This will disable software decoding and stream the original MQA file to your iFi nano so that it can use its MQA decoding hardware.

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #689 of 1,853
Enable the "Passthrough MQA" option. This will disable software decoding and stream the original MQA file to your iFi nano so that it can use its MQA decoding hardware.

The Nano BL is an MQA renderer and needs the Tidal Passthrough button in the OFF position so the Tidal app can do the first unfold, then the BL does the final. You won't get the magenta color with Passthrough clicked on. A DAC like the Meridian Explorer2 is a hardware decoder and in its case you would click Passthrough to on. Unfortunately iFi makes you hunt around a bit to find this out and it can cause some confusion.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #690 of 1,853
Hi all. Recently ive bought a Topping DX3pro and ive got some questions about tidal and how it works with MQA.

1. my setup is. PC→DAC→AMP→Headphones. Dx3 is a non-mqa DAC, so I assume im not going to be capable to unfold the mqa files. Im wrong?

2. Ive got a Xiaomi Mix which is capable to unfold mqa vis UAPP+ MQA plugin. I could connect to the dac to send the mqa already unzipped to the dac?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back