Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #691 of 1,853
Hi all. Recently ive bought a Topping DX3pro and ive got some questions about tidal and how it works with MQA.

1. my setup is. PC→DAC→AMP→Headphones. Dx3 is a non-mqa DAC, so I assume im not going to be capable to unfold the mqa files. Im wrong?

2. Ive got a Xiaomi Mix which is capable to unfold mqa vis UAPP+ MQA plugin. I could connect to the dac to send the mqa already unzipped to the dac?

Thanks!

In both situations, with the right settings you'll get 1x software decoding. If you don't understand what I mean by that, see https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained Many people can't hear the difference between software decoding and further "unfolding" by an external MQA DAC (also known as "hardware" decoding by MQA firmware in the DAC).

On your PC, the Tidal app will do 1x MQA software decoding before sending the signal to your DAC. In the Tidal app, go to Settings > Streaming > Quality and select "Master". Under Sound > Sound Output, do not turn on "Passthrough MQA", but "Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume" are recommended for best MQA playback.

On your phone, the UAPP app with the MQA plugin will do the same 1x software decoding. You'll get the purest result with an external DAC, as most Android phones resample audio internally, but not everyone hears a difference anyway. I see you've asked the same question on the UAPP support thread, and if you have trouble with UAPP settings that is the place to ask.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #692 of 1,853
In both situations, with the right settings you'll get 1x software decoding. If you don't understand what I mean by that, see https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained Many people can't hear the difference between software decoding and further "unfolding" by an external MQA DAC (also known as "hardware" decoding by MQA firmware in the DAC).

On your PC, the Tidal app will do 1x MQA software decoding before sending the signal to your DAC. In the Tidal app, go to Settings > Streaming > Quality and select "Master". Under Sound > Sound Output, do not turn on "Passthrough MQA", but "Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume" are recommended for best MQA playback.

On your phone, the UAPP app with the MQA plugin will do the same 1x software decoding. You'll get the purest result with an external DAC, as most Android phones resample audio internally, but not everyone hears a difference anyway. I see you've asked the same question on the UAPP support thread, and if you have trouble with UAPP settings that is the place to ask.

Thanks so much for the explanation

NOTE:I check the page that u recommend, and the best mqa that I get on this situation is 24/88.2, right?

Next DAC im gonna buy probably will be mqa compatible. But im so happy with the DX3pro

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #693 of 1,853
Thanks so much for the explanation

NOTE:I check the page that u recommend, and the best mqa that I get on this situation is 24/88.2, right?

Next DAC im gonna buy probably will be mqa compatible. But im so happy with the DX3pro

Glad to help. They're using 24/88.2 just as an example in that article. The resolutions you'll get depend on the original master recordings.

I should also mention that the official Tidal mobile app now also does MQA 1x unfolding, however it does not bypass the Android system audio resampling. UAPP gets around that whenever possible, and always via USB.

Take some time to enjoy the DX3 Pro and get used to its sound. Not everyone can hear the difference between Hi-Fi and Hi-Res or MQA, and the DX3 Pro may be all you need. Personally I am more concerned about whether a DAC is based on ESS or AKM chips than whether or not it supports MQA, as for me that makes the largest audible difference.

Aug 5, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #694 of 1,853
Glad to help. They're using 24/88.2 just as an example in that article. The resolutions you'll get depend on the original master recordings.

I should also mention that the official Tidal mobile app now also does MQA 1x unfolding, however it does not bypass the Android system audio resampling. UAPP gets around that whenever possible, and always via USB.

Take some time to enjoy the DX3 Pro and get used to its sound. Not everyone can hear the difference between Hi-Fi and Hi-Res or MQA, and the DX3 Pro may be all you need. Personally I am more concerned about whether a DAC is based on ESS or AKM chips than whether or not it supports MQA, as for me that makes the largest audible difference.

The DX3pro its my first DAC, and probably will be my partner for long time. I used to play music with my onboard pc soundcard (a expensive one) paired with my sennheiser hd598se. I can say DX3pro sound much more detailed and the music sound more "complete"

About tidal, I can feel the difference between a flac and mqa file... But both sounds so much better on the dac, no doubt about it.

Im gonna look for ESS & AKM. Audiophile is something that u never stop to learn :wink:

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #696 of 1,853
Folks, MQA over network via Tidal on our Pro iDSD machine. Perhaps one or two of good people here will find it useful
laugh.png

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 7, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #697 of 1,853
As we often say here, sorry about your wallet. :)

Hi again mate, and sorry for quote, but I see u write about bypass on tidal android app a few pages back...

If im using a android phone (not a LGvXX) is making bypass over android, or I should get UAPP?
Another question, how it works on iOS? Its an iphone capable to samplig at 24/96?

Thanks so much for respond :wink:

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #698 of 1,853
Hi again mate, and sorry for quote, but I see u write about bypass on tidal android app a few pages back...

If im using a android phone (not a LGvXX) is making bypass over android, or I should get UAPP?
Another question, how it works on iOS? Its an iphone capable to samplig at 24/96?

Thanks so much for respond :wink:

UAPP is best if you are going to use an external DAC, as it will bypass the Android system and send a clean good signal to that DAC without resampling. If you only use the internal DAC, aside from the LG series you mentioned UAPP does not have much to work with in there, but it also includes equalizers, local file playback, internet radio, Qobuz, and many other features, so it's still a worthwhile purchase.

I don't know much about iOS, but as I understand it the latest iPhones are like recent Google Pixel phones: no analog audio jack, an internal DAC not really meant for music, and a reliance on external wired and wireless earphones with their own DACs built in, all or most of which limit and resample output to 24/48.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #699 of 1,853
UAPP is best if you are going to use an external DAC, as it will bypass the Android system and send a clean good signal to that DAC without resampling. If you only use the internal DAC, aside from the LG series you mentioned UAPP does not have much to work with in there, but it also includes equalizers, local file playback, internet radio, Qobuz, and many other features, so it's still a worthwhile purchase.

I don't know much about iOS, but as I understand it the latest iPhones are like recent Google Pixel phones: no analog audio jack, an internal DAC not really meant for music, and a reliance on external wired and wireless earphones with their own DACs built in, all or most of which limit and resample output to 24/48.

Well, my phone is compatible with the HiRes driver from UAPP, so I can get 24/96 with no problems at all. But my question is more concerned about tidal app ability to bypass android drivers. Its possible to get 24/96 on tidal app? Because someone says that Tidal for android andr bypass like UAPP does

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #700 of 1,853
Well, my phone is compatible with the HiRes driver from UAPP, so I can get 24/96 with no problems at all. But my question is more concerned about tidal app ability to bypass android drivers. Its possible to get 24/96 on tidal app? Because someone says that Tidal for android andr bypass like UAPP does

Last time I tested USB output, this is what I reported:

The official Tidal and Qobuz apps sent USB output through the Android OS, where it got resampled to 48 kHz in all cases (MQA, Hi-Res, whatever, all 48 kHz as expected). But UAPP delivered perfect Hi-Res from Qobuz and blue dot MQA from Tidal.

That means even when the Tidal app is decoding MQA, the output is then resampled to 48 kHz on that phone. Some phones resample to 96 kHz, and maybe yours does too, but that still means you're not getting the true output from the app and in some cases that could be impacting sound quality.

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #701 of 1,853
Hi all. Recently ive bought a Topping DX3pro and ive got some questions about tidal and how it works with MQA.

1. my setup is. PC→DAC→AMP→Headphones. Dx3 is a non-mqa DAC, so I assume im not going to be capable to unfold the mqa files. Im wrong?

2. Ive got a Xiaomi Mix which is capable to unfold mqa vis UAPP+ MQA plugin. I could connect to the dac to send the mqa already unzipped to the dac?

Thanks!

you should be able to get the first unfold when using tidal on your pc and sending to your dac. you'd need a mqa-capable dac to get the full unfold -- i don't think xiaomi is going to give you more than (1)

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #703 of 1,853
Hi again mates!

Anyone knows if any 5.1 AV receiver is capable to do the total unfold of MQA? I see a lot of them that are compatible, but only goes to 16/44hz...

I don't think any exist. I recommend an MQA-capable streamer/DAC (or streamer + DAC pair), connected to two-channel analog inputs on a preamp or integrated receiver, with processing on that end turned off. For preamps and integrated receivers, I highly recommend recommend Anthem; they are quite transparent and will allow the flavor of the upstream DAC to come through.

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #705 of 1,853
If your device has MQA support then yeah, select Passthrough MQA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back