Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Sep 19, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,741 of 1,853
Canada ruins everything:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/ar...dership-in-hi-res-audio-with-mqa-acquisition/

1695157315560.png

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #1,745 of 1,853
Good riddance! I knew sooner or later, this MQA scam would meet its end. No sensible person enjoys the idea of paying additional money for a theoretical reduction in audio quality.
There are three types of people: the "RIP MQA" ones, the "MP3 is enough" ones, and the:

1694974237351.png

ones 😅
Good riddance! I knew sooner or later, this MQA scam would meet its end. No sensible person enjoys the idea of paying additional money for a theoretical reduction in audio quality although I now find myself in the mp3 is adequate camp. You can't beat spotify in music selection and the endless excellent user created Playlists. Besides, I can't tell the difference in audio quality.

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,746 of 1,853
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,747 of 1,853
We've reached the epitome of irony when people who can't tell the difference in SQ between Spotify and HiRes, get all self-righteous and indignant over an arguably theoretical lossyness in MQA while they go on listening to music which REALLY IS LOSSY with as little as 1/24th the musical information per second.

The chorus of mob mentality is a scary thing to watch for. The terror of political revolutions and blind mob mentality never fails to do violence. It rarely refines anything but prefers the bloody axe and throws babies out to die with the bath water. And I watch as people who know better just get quiet and let these people etch the walls with grafiti that other blind mob people will pick up and parrot, becoming a tsunami of ignorance.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,748 of 1,853
We've reached the epitome of irony when people who can't tell the difference in SQ between Spotify and HiRes, get all self-righteous and indignant over an arguably theoretical lossyness in MQA while they go on listening to music which REALLY IS LOSSY with as little as 1/24th the musical information per second.

The chorus of mob mentality is a scary thing to watch for. The terror of political revolutions and blind mob mentality never fails to do violence. It rarely refines anything but prefers the bloody axe and throws babies out to die with the bath water. And I watch as people who know better just get quiet and let these people etch the walls with grafiti that other blind mob people will pick up and parrot, becoming a tsunami of ignorance.
For the record, count me among the ignorant mob you define.

(I mean, I can see people getting annoyed at the amount of me-too thumb-downing of the format, but I don't see their reasoning to be unjustified. For one, I don't think you understand their reasoning.)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,749 of 1,853

Hey, calm down there, Churchill! My problem with MQA is not that it exists, but that it exists only to extract a licensing fee from gear sales, including from those who have absolutely no interest in the technology or lack thereof.
And my comment about my inability to distinguish the difference in sound quality requires context. I only enjoy my music when I don't invest myself in nitpicking every single detail. When I sit back and listen, it all sounds the same to me. If anything, Spotify sounds better because it cost me almost nothing and thus that much less anxiety about the pointless details.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,750 of 1,853
Firstly, not being able to tell the difference in SQ obviously depends on how lossy. Secondly, we’re not getting “all self-righteous and indignant over a theoretical lossyness in MQA” but over the lies about being lossy and about the licensing fee they charged throughout the chain. Thirdly, Spotify delivers as little as 24kbps on the free tier to as much as 160kbps or up to 320kbps on the paid tier so it’s not “1/24th of the musical information” and lastly, the amount of musical information lost is irrelevant anyway, it’s the amount of audible musical information lost and that’s pretty much zero even at 160kbps, let alone 320.

The “epitome of irony” is you having a go at us while every single one of the points I quoted above is false/incorrect!
Then why are you contributing to that “chorus of mob mentality” and “tsunami of ignorance” on a subforum that actively discourages or actually bans the actual facts/science and therefore only allows mob mentality and a tsunami of ignorance? How’s that not the “epitome of irony”?

G

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #1,751 of 1,853
I think that Spotify sounds worse than tidal....the problem is that tidal charges a lot for a format that no one prefers over Flac.

If they were offering truly a choice between Flac and mqa there would be no beef about it I suppose.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,752 of 1,853
I think that Spotify sounds worse than tidal....the problem is that tidal charges a lot for a format that no one prefers over Flac.

If they were offering truly a choice between Flac and mqa there would be no beef about it I suppose.

Well, they're making available only FLAC albums since their announcement about MQA, and I'm pretty sure that MQA will go away over time - only if MQA doesn't get added again if they'll continue to be alive.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #1,753 of 1,853
Well, they're making available only FLAC albums since their announcement about MQA, and I'm pretty sure that MQA will go away over time - only if MQA doesn't get added again if they'll continue to be alive.
I don't think it will...it was a marketing choice....it didn't go as planed so they abandoned it...hardware companies invested to it too....

but they will just change their marketing lines....

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #1,754 of 1,853

Truly unhinged :smile:

Criticism of MQA is not simply "it's lossy, but lossy Spotify is great". Rarely are legitimate criticisms that simple or easily-debunked. That's sort of the point. Read through this thread and other discussions of MQA here and you can find plenty of legitimate criticisms of MQA, little of which has to do with "arguable theoretical lossyness".

In either case, MQA is done for. It's over.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,755 of 1,853

Overly dramatic much? Lighten up Fransis. MQA is a solution looking for a problem. There is no issue with streaming or storing losses content. Figuring out a better way to do lossy is not a game changing development... Which is exactly what MQA was hyped as. It's all marketing. A lot of it. Way over hyped. So when there deception and voodoo is exposed and they fall apart well there you go.

If you like your Spotify, you can keep your Spotify. If you want lossless, plenty of it. And yes, there is an audible difference. And while you seem to enjoy a fictitious self righteousness... At the end of the day, there simply is no defence of MQA as a format, or those that pushed the marketing hype and their deceptions. There are things I like about Tidal, but MQA was never one of them. I'm glad we are moving on.... Well, except Bluesound.... Because now we are going to have to hear of all the fantastic differences marketed from them for their gear. Bluesound is a great lifestyle platform that makes streaming for the masses easy. Nothing wrong with that. They are not end all be all and neither is MQA nor was it ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back