Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 2, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #4,951 of 5,203
Anyone have tips on how to clear the Download queue? Tidal app on my RS6 is stuck with 36 items in the Download queue, but they never start downloading.

If I tap the top item in the queue, that will toggle between "Downloading 36 items" and "Downloading paused", but nothing actually downloads. Tried on different WiFi, tethered to my phone, but nothing.

In the past I've 'cleared' the queue by deleting the offending album/track/playlist. But this time even after doing that, those tracks just sit there, staring at me.
I had that experience a while back on my Android DAP. I closed the app and rebooted the DAP. I believe that un-jammed the download queue.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #4,952 of 5,203
Anyone have tips on how to clear the Download queue? Tidal app on my RS6 is stuck with 36 items in the Download queue, but they never start downloading.

If I tap the top item in the queue, that will toggle between "Downloading 36 items" and "Downloading paused", but nothing actually downloads. Tried on different WiFi, tethered to my phone, but nothing.

In the past I've 'cleared' the queue by deleting the offending album/track/playlist. But this time even after doing that, those tracks just sit there, staring at me.
I think there is a clear cache function that could do it.. have you tried logging out and back in again as well?

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #4,953 of 5,203
I think there is a clear cache function that could do it.. have you tried logging out and back in again as well?
I rebooted the DAP, restarted Tidal a few times, and cleared cache.

None of that worked, but logging out and back in again has got downloads going properly, thanks!

I was afraid I’d have to take the next step and delete the app entirely, and start from scratch re-downloading everything, but I can leave that for another day.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #4,954 of 5,203
Tidal impacting web performance?

Delete. Issue resolved (it was the Headfi.org server giving problems)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #4,956 of 5,203
MQA in Administration

My concern is that this may impact my Tidal subscription.

I have years invested in curating my Tidal playlists. They have done a good job of applying my preferences to their suggested listening. I like the UI and flexibility to play Tidal on any of my streaming devices. I "like" at least one new album per week.

The only perceived advantage of the MQA compression is that I can download large "hi-res" playlists to my portable streamers.

But I feel that Tidal is flogging a dead horse.

Let's hope that Tidal can afford to quickly convert their "Masters" to the original hi-res content (like Qobuz). If I were Tidal I would have a production line going already.

Meanwhile I have exported all my playlists to .CSV in case I need to use Soundiz to move to another platform.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #4,957 of 5,203
MQA in Administration

I have years invested in curating my Tidal playlists. They have done a good job of applying my preferences to their suggested listening. I like the UI and flexibility to play Tidal on any of my streaming devices. I "like" at least one new album per week.

The only perceived advantage of the MQA compression is that I can download large "hi-res" playlists to my portable streamers.

Let's hope that Tidal can afford to quickly convert their "Masters" to the original hi-res content (like Qobuz). If I were Tidal I would have a production line going already.

Meanwhile I have exported all my playlists to .CSV in case I need to use Soundiz to move to another platform.
My opinion is I think it may be too early to conflate the fate of Tidal's and all the other entities licensing of MQA with whatever the fate of "MQA Limited" is. I don't feel at this point that MQA is going away any time soon, as much as some would relish that outcome. This could be the writing on the wall for MQA's demise or it may not. Other interested parties might be interested in taking it over. All my current opinion and I guess anything could happen but the wheels in motion on these kinds of things go pretty slowly.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #4,958 of 5,203
MQA in Administration

This is not the MQA thread [that's here] but since we're here, I will share what seems to me the best analysis I've seen so far: https://www.ecoustics.com/news/mqa-bankruptcy/

tl;dr — they may have gone into administration to enable separate sale of their Bluetooth division, while the rest of the company may yet have a viable future. Or not.

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #4,959 of 5,203
That isn't how it works. Tidal doesn't need to do anything. Tidal streams whatever album version (MQA or not) they receive from a record label. Certain labels (like Warner) signed on to use MQA and have been delivering MQA encoded albums to Tidal. Tidal would merely sit back and wait for the record label to refresh albums with non-MQA versions.

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #4,960 of 5,203
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #4,962 of 5,203
Breaking news, Tidal will be introducing non MQA high-res. FLAC soon. I'm not sure what they will do about non high res Redbook.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/12hr68f/ama_w_jesse_tidal/jfuo1ng/
Dang. Good timing for me. I just spent the past few weeks trying out non-MQA hi res streaming from Tidal's competitors. I was impressed by the audio quality of hi res on my system, but none of Tidal's competitors have gotten their mobile apps in order and only one other has Roon integration (Qobuz). Needless to say, I came back to Tidal. And now with this bit of news, it seems like Tidal will be offering the best of all worlds in terms of its service. Sweet.

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #4,963 of 5,203
but none of Tidal's competitors have gotten their mobile apps in order
I’ve actually been pretty happy with Apple Music for offline downloads. I can’t recall any flakiness with AM on iOS of course, or on any of my Android DAPs either really, whereas Tidal can lose the plot sometimes, especially on Android.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #4,964 of 5,203
I'm pretty sure Tidal sees the writing on the wall for MQA (they'd be foolish not to), and they don't want to go down with a sinking ship.

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #4,965 of 5,203
One thing I didn't manage to find out is, how to empty Tidal's cache on IOS. I have Tidal HiFi plus, Apple Music and Spotify subscriptions, all for different purposes. When I delete Apple's offline downloads, it immediately gives storage free, up to to the point that I can really slim it (temporarily) down. With the Tidal it somehow doesn't work. It bloats and bloats up to the point when it takes so much storage space, that I have to periodically delete the app and fresh install it. Any hidden functions I have overlooked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back