Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,683 of 5,203
Any citations on that?

I don’t have a direct quote from Apple, if that’s what you’re looking for. The statement above is based on the iOS support for UAC2 (see e.g. https://www.usbdacs.com/Setup/ for an overview of different operating systems). This doesn’t guarantee bit perfect transfer (see e.g. https://forum.headphones.com/t/mis-understanding-usb-audio/6719) but if the external DAC supports UAC2 as well, I believe it means that iOS will not do things like resampling etc, although it will also not be checking for any errors in transport. Now, I may be wrong, but that’s my current understanding.

EDIT: See also https://www.henryaudio.com/uploads/Fact_sheet_Mk3.pdf (page 3: "Most modern operating systems, except for iOS, will automatically resample your digital music as it is being played back.")

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,684 of 5,203
With now Apple Music available in lossless for Android (via installing Apple Music beta apk), downloads are up to 24 bit/ 48 khz (Lossless) and 24 bit/ 192 khz (High Resolution Lossless). Does this mean Apple Music is technically superior compared to Tidal's 16 bit/ 44.1khz (Hifi) and 24 bit/ 96 khz (MQA)? Anyone did a sound comparison and found any difference? Just gathering some feedback...

Not a direct comparison to Tidal, but the owner of another forum tested Apple Music on an iPhone and a Mac Mini, and got some disappointing results: Apple Music's Lossless and Hi-Res Mess

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #4,685 of 5,203
Excellent thread and great info. I am a Roon user and by default have Tidal subscription. Turns out for folks using Roon and enjoying its great functionality to discover new music are ‘stuck’ with Tidal and Qobuz.

Also, turns out I am very happy with Tidal but very disappointed with Tidal Connect. When using the Tidal app - to listen to My Mixes - Tidal Connect does not play autoplay (play radio based on last track) and when listening to an album and pressing the next song it skips randomly to play song in the middle or end.

Has anyone seen this issue and do we know if there is a fix? Thanks.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #4,686 of 5,203
Excellent thread and great info. I am a Roon user and by default have Tidal subscription. Turns out for folks using Roon and enjoying its great functionality to discover new music are ‘stuck’ with Tidal and Qobuz.

Also, turns out I am very happy with Tidal but very disappointed with Tidal Connect. When using the Tidal app - to listen to My Mixes - Tidal Connect does not play autoplay (play radio based on last track) and when listening to an album and pressing the next song it skips randomly to play song in the middle or end.

Has anyone seen this issue and do we know if there is a fix? Thanks.
Did you've unchecked the random play button?
Maybe this will fix the issue.

sketch-1625055722651.png

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4,688 of 5,203

sketch-1625055722651.png

sketch-1625055722651.png
It’s never turned on. I am surprised this issue is only local for me. Using Tidal Connect the autoplay radio never turns in and clicking on next play will randomly move to a song down the list.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,689 of 5,203
Ok.
This doesn
It’s never turned on. I am surprised this issue is only local for me. Using Tidal Connect the autoplay radio never turns in and clicking on next play will randomly move to a song down the list.
Ok.
This doesn't happen to me.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #4,690 of 5,203
Anyone else having an issue with exclusive mode randomly turning off?
YES!!! For the last month (well, maybe like 3 weeks or so) I have been going nuts with this. Tidal (and Amazon Music) desktop app DOES NOT remember exclusive mode settings after I close the app. I have to reset the settings every time I open these two apps (Settings - choose DAC, then More Settings, and I find everything set to off again). I have to manually set everything to on again every time I start the app - this includes settings for Exclusive Mode, Loudness Normalization and MQA Passthrough. I have tried this on two windows machines with different windows update versions and an old mac laptop - they all have the same issue - which leads me to conclude either there's something server-side or there's a ghost in my home network turning settings off every time I quit the Tidal or Amazon music apps! previously this was never an issue - I set the settings on the Tidal app once, and they are remembered after every restart. ASIO settings on Foobar2000 are still there and work flawlessly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, the Windows Store version, the tidal Website version, Mac OS version, restting the app, clearing the cache, deleting the Tidal folder in %APPDATA% etc etc. Problem persists.

Please, if someone can check/verify this or has a workaround, it would be much appreciated.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #4,691 of 5,203
YES!!! For the last month (well, maybe like 3 weeks or so) I have been going nuts with this. Tidal (and Amazon Music) desktop app DOES NOT remember exclusive mode settings after I close the app. I have to reset the settings every time I open these two apps (Settings - choose DAC, then More Settings, and I find everything set to off again). I have to manually set everything to on again every time I start the app - this includes settings for Exclusive Mode, Loudness Normalization and MQA Passthrough. I have tried this on two windows machines with different windows update versions and an old mac laptop - they all have the same issue - which leads me to conclude either there's something server-side or there's a ghost in my home network turning settings off every time I quit the Tidal or Amazon music apps! previously this was never an issue - I set the settings on the Tidal app once, and they are remembered after every restart. ASIO settings on Foobar2000 are still there and work flawlessly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, the Windows Store version, the tidal Website version, Mac OS version, restting the app, clearing the cache, deleting the Tidal folder in %APPDATA% etc etc. Problem persists.

Please, if someone can check/verify this or has a workaround, it would be much appreciated.
Exclusive Setup: I am using Windows 7, Tidal 2.28.0.338 and the Exclusive Settings for my KEF LS50 Wireless remain on. Maybe your problem is your speaker / driver preference?
Playlist Sort: However, with the latest release I have to re-sort my Playlist every time I open the app.

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,693 of 5,203
I've just tested my V50 with the latest Tidal Update and something has definitely changed. Since I upgraded to Android 10, using Tidal while the hifi DAC was enabled I could change EQ and sound presets and hear the change in sound even if playing an MQA track. Now, changing EQ or sound presets does nothing. Maybe they have finally listened?

Just tested quickly again and toggling the hifi dac on and off doesn't change the sound either. Still broke. On LG Quad DAC phones then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back