Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #4,366 of 5,203
Do I have the best settings applied? I'm unsure about the MQA pass-through. I just created an account and have the 'TIDAL HiFi $19.99/month subscription', and my headphones are connected through an amp/dac combo

umUTGmN.png

Unless the Element II does hardware MQA (I don't think it does) you should turn off "Passthrough MQA"

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #4,367 of 5,203
Do I have the best settings applied? I'm unsure about the MQA pass-through. I just created an account and have the 'TIDAL HiFi $19.99/month subscription', and my headphones are connected through an amp/dac combo

Turn off "Passthrough MQA", as the JDS is not an MQA DAC. The Tidal software will unfold MQA 1x and that's all most people need.

The other settings are fine. Enjoy!

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #4,368 of 5,203
Nevermind, saw you were answered already :D

Dec 6, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #4,369 of 5,203

umUTGmN.png

You would typically only select Passthrough MQA if you had an MQA-capable DAC. If your DAC can unfold the MQA, use passthrough, otherwise you are probably better off having the Tidal software decode the MQA up to 24/96. If you don't have a DAC that can decode MQA, with passthrough enabled Tidal will send the undecoded MQA file, which would be played as a 16/48 (bit-decimated) format.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #4,370 of 5,203

umUTGmN.png
Only the top one is necessary. “Use Exclusive Mode - ON”
The other 2 remaining makes no difference. I suggest to leave those set to - “OFF”
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,371 of 5,203
The other 2 remaining makes no difference. I suggest to leave those set to - “OFF”
Enjoy!

Why? You end up pushing your amp harder than you have to because the software volume isn't maximized with the "Force volume" setting disabled. There's no need to strain the amp any more then you have to, to reach the wanted volume level.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #4,372 of 5,203
Enjoy!

Why? You end up pushing your amp harder than you have to because the software volume isn't maximized with the "Force volume" setting disabled. There's no need to strain the amp any more then you have to reach the wanted volume level.

@Recursion's right: set Force Volume to "ON" when an external amp has its own volume control.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #4,375 of 5,203
Just received an email titled "Get 5 months of TIDAL for just $5". Not a bad deal...:)

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #4,377 of 5,203
Are you talking about the Android app? I just started the windows desktop app, did not see any update.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #4,378 of 5,203
There is specific 360 content, same as with MQA. It should be obvious when you're hearing it -- they have a sample playlist here:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/0250fea8-5123-4d14-aa71-58c81605a015

I gave it a listen and found that most of it sounded awful, like just someone had just messed around with mid/side sliders at best. But some of the older jazz tracks are good -- I'm guessing that those tracks are being derived from existing decent surround sound masters. When it works, it's an interesting effect, but I don't know even in those cases whether I prefer it to a well-mastered normal version of the same track.

I think it would probably be more interesting if tracks were produced from the start with its possibilities in mind? So maybe it if catches on.

I wander if 360 sound will also work if listening through portable DAC connected via lightening cable to an iPhone and then to the cans?

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #4,379 of 5,203
There is specific 360 content, same as with MQA. It should be obvious when you're hearing it -- they have a sample playlist here:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/0250fea8-5123-4d14-aa71-58c81605a015

I gave it a listen and found that most of it sounded awful, like just someone had just messed around with mid/side sliders at best. But some of the older jazz tracks are good -- I'm guessing that those tracks are being derived from existing decent surround sound masters. When it works, it's an interesting effect, but I don't know even in those cases whether I prefer it to a well-mastered normal version of the same track.

I think it would probably be more interesting if tracks were produced from the start with its possibilities in mind? So maybe it if catches on.

Agreed, most of it sounds awful. Overprocessed lo-fi. It only works in the mobile apps, and can be further enhanced by a Sony processing app for their Bluetooth headphones. This is not multichannel audio as audiophiles normally think of it. It's an abomination. But I'm sure between this and Atmos, a lot of new gimmicky hardware and apps will be sold.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #4,380 of 5,203
Sony WH-1000XM3 optimized (specifically for 360 Reality Audio), sound much better and natural. In another level for my ears.

BTW today I noticed Dolby Atmos optimized files too (my smartphone supports it). Have to give it a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back