Tidal Lossless Streaming
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #4,351 of 5,203
I see it is only for new users, hence i am not eligible as i have a subscription. Thank you for the link. These details are not described in the uk link.

I see the info in fine print at the bottom of the UK link. It says the offer is for new users and expires 12/2. You can use another email address to sign up, but you would have to transfer your playlists or start from scratch. In my experience Tidal doesn’t check credit cards against existing accounts so you could probably use the same payment method (or PayPal). The offer was also emailed to those who cancelled paid accounts, so if you have a free account still in existence you can use it.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,352 of 5,203
I see the info in fine print at the bottom of the UK link. It says the offer is for new users and expires 12/2. You can use another email address to sign up, but you would have to transfer your playlists or start from scratch. In my experience Tidal doesn’t check credit cards against existing accounts so you could probably use the same payment method (or PayPal). The offer was also emailed to those who cancelled paid accounts, so if you have a free account still in existence you can use it.
Thank you very much. I set up a new account and got the offer. Great.

Nov 27, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #4,354 of 5,203
I see it is only for new users, hence i am not eligible as i have a subscription. Thank you for the link. These details are not described in the uk link.
You could ask your friend or a family member to help you grab this offer.
Of course a new account will work too :D

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #4,356 of 5,203
Anyone tried the SMSL 500 new MQA desktop headphone DAC/AMP? I currently use Chord Mojo, but it is not MQA so wondering if the SMSL is an audio upgrade for TIDAL MQA tracks.

oh man. This is nice find. This could bump my SU-8.

Anyone tried the SMSL 500 new MQA desktop headphone DAC/AMP? I currently use Chord Mojo, but it is not MQA so wondering if the SMSL is an audio upgrade for TIDAL MQA tracks.

audio science review recommends it though many users report glitches that are being fixed by firmware. Overall positive.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #4,357 of 5,203
I was looking for an MQA DAC in this price range but I didn't like the SMSL's weird form-factor. I wish companies would put out a good, affordable MQA DAC in a standard case that would stack with other desktop components. The Project Pre Box S2 is another choice in that price range but it is always on. No power switch.

It's a shame that Chord is so negative regarding MQA. I bet they could do an amazing job with Mojo 2 and on their high-end DAQs.

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #4,358 of 5,203

Not even close to the Chord. Just stick with that as the SMSL will just become a paperweight. Look in to purchasing the iFI xDSD, it's a little spendy however it really does Tidal MQA justice the right way!

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #4,361 of 5,203
AMAZON MUSIC HD - audio quality comparison to TIDAL HIFI

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Source Hardware Device:
iPadPro 12.9inch 2019.
Supports 24bit/192Khz via USB-C output.
Latest iOS version as of 28 Nov, 2019.
Audio Music - Apps/Software:
Amazon Music HD [iOS APP - version 9.3.2]
TIDAL HIFI [iOS APP - version 2.8.4].
Both Apps are the Latest iOS version as of 28 Nov, 2019.
External DAC: Audioquest Cobalt [24bit/96Khz, MQA renders].
Headphones: Focal Clear
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................
+ALL ALBUMS WERE DOWNLOADED TO IPAD PRO IN ULTRA HD.
+LOUDNESS NORMALISATION, GAPLESS PLAYBACK AND OPTIMISED PLAYBACK ALL WERE SWITCHED OFF.
+IPAD PRO SWITCHED TO AIRP PLANE MODE WITH WIFI/BLUETOOTH OFF - TO MINIMISE ANY INTERFERENCE.
+BOTH AMAZON MUSIC HD AND TIDAL HIFI APPS WERE SET IN OFFLINE MODE WHEN PLAYING BACK.
+Fortunately I could listen in a very quiet room without any audible background sounds.

Notes: The comparison Albums included are all 24bit.
On Amazon Music HD iOS APP there is upsampling happening. So for anything less then 96Khz it upsamples to 96Khz. If however Album is 96Khz it will play correctly as DAC is 96Khz - so in this case no upsampling happens. See below for Album details and I state if it is being upsampled.
Tidal plays at correct bit rate upto 96Khz in this set up - using Cobalt DAC.
For TIDAL HIFI - I have selected Master version of the Albums, because this according to TIDAL is the best quality available [according to TIDAL]. Tidal iOS APP decodes Master MQA on iPadPro and Cobalt will render it upto 96Khz. Some Albums might be 44.1, 48, 88 Khz - unable to see what Khz they are via iPadPro App/Cobalt.

ALBUM 1: “Paul Weller - True Meanings”
Amazon Music HD - iOS APP [Album format = 24bit/44.1Khz]. UPSAMPLED TO 96Khz.
TIDAL - iOS APP [Album format = 24bit/Master].
Audio Comparison:
+ TIDAL ADVANTAGE. Tidal wins for me as it is less brittle.
+ TIDAL ADVANTAGE. Tidal is slightly smoother, but without losing any resolution.
+ TIDAL ADVANTAGE. Amazon is bit more mid forward, which seems to be a flatter sound and less depth compared to Tidal.

ALBUM 2: “Spectre - James Bond Movie Soundtrack”
Amazon Music HD - iOS APP [Album format = 24bit/44.1Khz]. UPSAMPLED TO 96Khz.
Audio Comparison:
+ TIDAL ADVANTAGE. Tidal is slightly smoother, but without losing any resolution.

ALBUM 3: “TALKING HEADS: 77”
Amazon Music HD - iOS APP [Album format = 24bit/96Khz]. CORRECT BIT RATE PLAYED
Audio Comparison:
They sound slightly different, with Amazon a bit more forward in mids yet not in a negative way. No advantage in my opinion and both are equal.

ALBUM 4: “PETER GABRIEL - SO (SPECIAL EDITION)”
Audio Comparison:
Sound similar. No one has an advantage.

ALBUM 5: “ICONOLOGY - MISSY ELLIOT”
Audio Comparison:
+TIDAL ADVANTAGE. Slightly more low end sub base picked up on Focal Clear.

CONCLUSION
There seems to be a more distinctive advantage to Tidal on the Albums where Amazon is applying upsampling - based on the above 5 Albums tested. For other Albums there is very little difference.

I hope Amazon decides to play bit perfect and I don’t see why it can’t, since it is able to show us correct information on both track resolution aswell as connected DAC capability. Yet the actual playing resolution it shows is incorrect when using an external DAC. I got same results with my Chord Mojo where everything was upsampled to 192Khz, yet the yellow label incorrectly stated a lower track playing resolution.

For Amazon Music, If using External DAC I would not risk using anything higher than 96Khz, such as a 192khz DAC as the upsampling would be too much - taking 44.1 tracks all the way to 192khz. And there are plenty of 44.1 tracks on Amazon.

A horribly inconvenient solution which is a massive compromise is to only listen to 24bit/96khz tracks when using a 24bit/96khz DAC - such as Audioquest Cobalt would then all be played correctly.

b0941a2b-9b9d-4043-bf22-9853eeb22f33-png.1225746
5074202a-8f93-4182-8dd8-4ca3aa158465-png.1225747

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #4,362 of 5,203
I was listening to the MQA of Van Morrison's The Prophet Speaks. This is a wonderful recording and man oh man is his band tight. As great as he is sometimes his band is even better.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #4,364 of 5,203
Thanks, no I have not. So much music and so little time! :frowning2:

I will try to have a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back