Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 1, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #4,172 of 5,210
Ok, I have been listening to Led Zeppelin II (Remastered) on Tidal. The album is supposedly MQA but it sounds incredibly muddy. Like there is some crazy jitter in the lower treble or something. Cymbals just sound like someone is crumpling up a piece of stiff paper. Someone else listen to it and tell me my ears aren't broken.

I'm assuming the Remaster was just garbage? I have yet to hear something this bad come out of Tidal.

I just listened to the Deluxe edition (MQA) and it's pretty close to the same. Maybe a little better, but still enough that I can kind of tell.

Is there a particular song and section where this observation is more noticeable? Is the remastered version the one with 9 tracks, 24bit 96kHz after MQA decoding? Also, the song "Ramble On" does include a backing rhythm that doesn't sound like any obviously identifiable percussion instrument. It is cool, but it could be confused with a muddy cymbal, I suppose.

I have listened to all of the Tidal and Qobuz versions available to stream and have not noticed a significant difference in anything so far with "Ramble On."

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,173 of 5,210
It's especially noticeable on What Is and What Should Never Be during the louder parts (try starting around 1:15).

I posted my reply before reading this post of yours. I'll give it a listen and see what I hear.

Edit: I couldn't hear anything unusual that sounded any different from how I always remember it sounding like. That particular part of the song has a lot of loud bass being played, and it might exhibit some reverb. While I see no indication of clipping from the file itself, it is possible that the latest mastering was cranked up to eleven and captured some clipping. Jimmy Page is probably half deaf at this point in his life.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #4,174 of 5,210
Ok, there is definitely something going on with the mastering. I just listened to my personal copy that I ripped circa 2005 from CD to flac. Spek says 44.1khz

My 2005 version sounds much cleaner. When Bonham hits the crash, it seems to stand apart from the bass and the guitar. The later masters that are on Tidal makes it feel like the other instruments are getting in the way and not letting the cymbal sing. Just another case of good music being mucked around with when it's fine.

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #4,175 of 5,210
Ok, there is definitely something going on with the mastering. I just listened to my personal copy that I ripped circa 2005 from CD to flac. Spek says 44.1khz

My 2005 version sounds much cleaner. When Bonham hits the crash, it seems to stand apart from the bass and the guitar. The later masters that are on Tidal makes it feel like the other instruments are getting in the way and not letting the cymbal sing. Just another case of good music being mucked around with when it's fine.

Welcome to 2019, where every good album gets the remaster (= LOUDNESS) threatment.
Getting sick of it, and nobody seems to care. At least not the people who master the music these days.

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #4,176 of 5,210
Welcome to 2019, where every good album gets the remaster (= LOUDNESS) threatment.
Getting sick of it, and nobody seems to care. At least not the people who master the music these days.

2019? Things have gotten much better for the most part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war said:

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #4,179 of 5,210
Enthusiasts care and are picky re their music. Which is good. Things ain't that bad.

Yep. I could whine about Tidal's 16/44 not being consistent, and not being the perfect equal of my rips, but when I enjoy the wealth of immediately available music and think of what I went through to find and own great music 20-30 years ago, this is a gift.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #4,181 of 5,210
it just blows my mind that Nugs.net has MQA quality jam band live shows able to be streamed over iOS but Tidal can’t develop their app on iOS to take advantage of MQA.

I know this is a Major first world problem, and that I’ve mentioned it already. However, I just signed up for the Nugs.net 30 day trial and the contrast in SQ is significantly better with Nugs.net MQA.

Mar 8, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #4,183 of 5,210
Tidal has stated a number of times (in writing) that an iOS version of an MQA-capable app is in the works. I have no reason to disbelieve them. EDIT: The iOS MQA-capable Tidal app was released a day or two after I wrote this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back