Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,196 of 5,203
I hope so too, but I think that high res music will be a tougher sell than HD TV was, for two reasons:
1) The difference between HD and standard TV is very obvious, so an easy sell to the consumer
2) There are now a couple generations of people who have spent their lives listening to music in compressed formats.  How many of these young people will be interested in high res audio, and willing to pay extra for it?  It will be interesting to see.

yup agree...But if itcatchesin and peoe seethe value of it, well then...Fingers crossed

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,197 of 5,203
  I can cast Tidal in Hifi to my Chromecast Audio.

Connected by optical, enabling "full dynamic range", if that makes a difference to the Tidal app.

Thank you Tai1or Made,

It looks like it is currently not working for every one. I received two emails back from Tidal stating that they are working on a fix as TIDAL HIFI Streaming is not working for every one. 

Soundizer

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3,198 of 5,203
and since i'm considering upgrading i now have to look at cables.
...wholly crap...a whole 'voodoo aisle' area for sure.
look at morrow cables...ma4...$$$ $300 for 1 metre...their
'midpoint sweetspot' ouch esp if looking at 8ft or such

so that is an area i'm now looking info....you get a erputable company like blue jean cables
and they get dissed as being 'meh-ish' by people buying into more $$$ cables.

and then the companies have 'testimonials'...lol...they mean nothing..anecdotal data.
double blind a/b testing to sift out the BS.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3,199 of 5,203
and since i'm considering upgrading i now have to look at cables.
...wholly crap...a whole 'voodoo aisle' area for sure.
look at morrow cables...ma4...$$$ $300 for 1 metre...their
'midpoint sweetspot' ouch esp if looking at 8ft or such

so that is an area i'm now looking info....you get a erputable company like blue jean cables
and they get dissed as being 'meh-ish' by people buying into more $$$ cables.

and then the companies have 'testimonials'...lol...they mean nothing..anecdotal data.
double blind a/b testing to sift out the BS.

Please do a search in the Sound Science forum. Something like"Do cables makes a difference".
Before going down this particular rabbit hole!

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,200 of 5,203
Please do a search in the Sound Science forum. Something like"Do cables makes a difference".
Before going down this particular rabbit hole!

thanks man..apologize...posted this in wrong thread...sorry guys.

but this BS busting thread from audioholics was helpful
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-and-audio-interconnects

and yet there are differences between cables...so am trying to meander thru it all.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #3,201 of 5,203
Has anyone used Spotify's artist radio or "Daily Mix" playlists? They're so good. I wish Tidal could do this as well as Spotify does. It's frustrating because I pay for both, but wish Tidal would improve its features, or Spotify would offer a higher bit rate option. Ugh. Audiophile problems, I suppose.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3,202 of 5,203
Has anyone used Spotify's artist radio or "Daily Mix" playlists? They're so good. I wish Tidal could do this as well as Spotify does. It's frustrating because I pay for both, but wish Tidal would improve its features, or Spotify would offer a higher bit rate option. Ugh. Audiophile problems, I suppose.

submit the idea to tidal support.

i hear you...also miss spotify's FYI flag if you were to save a song to a list that already had it
some sort of ...''you already have saved this song to this list...do you wish to proceed?'
avoided duplication.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,203 of 5,203

Tidal does have the ability to play artist radio.  Go to the page for the artist, in this case I have selected The Backstreet Boys,
evil_smiley.gif
and the link will be there.  It is circled in blue below.

There is also a "Weekly Brew" playlist of what is new, but it skews heavily towards rap.  If you browse by genre, some of the genres have monthly what's new playlists (metal and electronic are a couple I've found.)  Unfortunately it is true that Tidal does not do as good of a job at helping to find new music as Spotify does, but I hate Spotify because of Spotify Connect!

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #3,205 of 5,203
  Can someone briefly explain this MQA feature on head-fi? Is it always on?

The MQA feature is enabled if Tidal shows "Master" instead of "Hifi".  Of course your hardware and software  settings would have to be configured properly for 24/96 too.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,206 of 5,203
I updated Tidal this morning 1/20/2017 the light on my Meridian Explorer2 dac no longer changes from white to blue when streaming Masters as it did before the update. I reverted back to the previous Tidal that was still on a zip file did not update when running the first time and all 3 lights including the blue are working again.
Wondering if this has happened to anyone besides me.
I've sent an email to Tidal support
Might want to hold off on updating till Tidal gets things straight. I updated 2 pcs before realizing
Timothy

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,207 of 5,203
Tidal does have the ability to play artist radio.  Go to the page for the artist, in this case I have selected The Backstreet Boys, :evil: and the link will be there.  It is circled in blue below.

There is also a "Weekly Brew" playlist of what is new, but it skews heavily towards rap.  If you browse by genre, some of the genres have monthly what's new playlists (metal and electronic are a couple I've found.)  Unfortunately it is true that Tidal does not do as good of a job at helping to find new music as Spotify does, but I hate Spotify because of Spotify Connect!

Sorry, just seeing this. Spotify Connect works great with my PS4 and Denon avr. I wish Tidal had that.

Yes, as one of the 150 ppl in the world who use Tidal, I should put in a help request regarding this issue.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,208 of 5,203
I updated Tidal this morning 1/20/2017 the light on my Meridian Explorer2 dac no longer changes from white to blue when streaming Masters as it did before the update. I reverted back to the previous Tidal that was still on a zip file did not update when running the first time and all 3 lights including the blue are working again.
Wondering if this has happened to anyone besides me.
I've sent an email to Tidal support
Might want to hold off on updating till Tidal gets things straight. I updated 2 pcs before realizing
Timothy

Try selecting another output device then go back to the Meridian.  That did it for me.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,209 of 5,203
2 items:

1/ is anyone getting 'stuttering' happening when they're streaming Tidal?
i often have to go into settings and turn off, then on again, the mqa settings.

anyone else on this?

2/ just in....ugh let's hope not true....fingers crossed it all works out for us.

Smashed by Spotify, can TIDAL find a future which doesn't end badly?

Music Business Worldwide - ‎4 hours ago‎

MBW review-1 The MBW Review gives our take on some of the music biz's biggest recent goings-on. This time, we look at TIDAL's disappointing subscriber numbers – and what the future holds. The MBW Review is supported by FUGA.

Tidal found to be exaggerating its subscriber numbers

SlashGear - ‎9 hours ago‎

While we've been hearing rumors for months about Tidal potentially being bought out by larger streaming music rivals like Apple or Spotify, it appears the Jay Z-owned company may be in a more dire situation. A new report out of Norway says that Tidal's ...

ServicePaid users (millions)
Spotify43m
Apple Music20.9m
Deezer6.9m
Rhapsody/Napster4.5m
Google Play Music2.7m
Tidal1m
Others21.4m
Source: Midia Research

https://www.ft.com/content/cd99b95e-d8ba-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3,210 of 5,203
  2 items:

1/ is anyone getting 'stuttering' happening when they're streaming Tidal?
i often have to go into settings and turn off, then on again, the mqa settings.

anyone else on this?

2/ just in....ugh let's hope not true....fingers crossed it all works out for us.

Smashed by Spotify, can TIDAL find a future which doesn't end badly?

Music Business Worldwide - ‎4 hours ago‎

MBW review-1 The MBW Review gives our take on some of the music biz's biggest recent goings-on. This time, we look at TIDAL's disappointing subscriber numbers – and what the future holds. The MBW Review is supported by FUGA.

Tidal found to be exaggerating its subscriber numbers

SlashGear - ‎9 hours ago‎

While we've been hearing rumors for months about Tidal potentially being bought out by larger streaming music rivals like Apple or Spotify, it appears the Jay Z-owned company may be in a more dire situation. A new report out of Norway says that Tidal's ...

ServicePaid users (millions)
Spotify43m
Apple Music20.9m
Deezer6.9m
Rhapsody/Napster4.5m
Google Play Music2.7m
Tidal1m
Others21.4m
Source: Midia Research

https://www.ft.com/content/cd99b95e-d8ba-11e6-944b-e7eb37a6aa8e

TIDAL has more potential to come, especially if they enter south east Asians country more aggressive :wink:
I live in Indonesia, my neighbours are Malaysia and Singapore ... the latter has tidal network while in Indonesia, I have to "cheat" to be able to subscribe tidal hifi :wink:
TIDAL already available in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand but still unavailable for my country Indonesia ..

Spotify on the other hand, quickly takes the share in Indonesia. They ruled other streaming services like Joox, Apple Music, Deezer because of their plenty library.
As asian people, sure I like free stuffs :wink:
But for true music listener, I would prefer TIDAL HIFI because of their great Sound Quality :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back