Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 27, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,371 of 5,203
1. Yes, if you choose their "hifi" level of service.
2. 1411 for hifi. I think 320 for "high", and maybe 128 for "normal".
3. No.
4. Good, imo.
3. Several other competitors. What country?

I'm in the US. 
Do any of the services let you download file and play offline or are they strictly online?

And could you name other worthy competitors?

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #2,372 of 5,203
I'm in the US. 
Do any of the services let you download file and play offline or are they strictly online?
And could you name other worthy competitors?

There is an offline mode on Tidal so you can playback without an Internet connection.
Your choice of albums or tracks stays on your device for as long as you pay your subscription.
The only other service I have tried is Spotify which is very good. Not lossless. 320kbps.
I don't like Spotify's business model though.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #2,373 of 5,203
Spotify is good and if I can't find something on Tidal I usually can on Spotify. I understand that Tidal gives a somewhat better deal to the musicians, tho, which helps sway me.
I think Quboz & Deezer are lossless services but haven't tried them. Apple Music, Google Play, and Amazon are all fine but are not lossless. The Amazon service is "free" if you have Prime.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,374 of 5,203
^ Tidal is actually being sued by artists which were not paid what they were promised, so I wouldn't feel too warm and fuzzy about their efforts to support musicians. 

Agree, Spotify is better, but if it doesn't offer loss-less, then its not comparable. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #2,375 of 5,203
Tidal is actually being sued by artists which were not paid what they were promised, so I wouldn't feel too warm and fuzzy about their efforts to support musicians. 

@Robm321

Could you provide links to this news?

Thanks

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,376 of 5,203
http://mashable.com/2016/02/29/tidal-royalty-jay-z-lawsuit/#O8e8wRZl0aqB

A Tidal executive later clarified that with Tidal, 62.5% of royalties goes to labels, while 12.5% goes to artists. She said that this still puts Tidal above industry royalty standards, which break down to 60% and 10%.

It looks as if Tidal pays 75% to the industry standard 70%, provided they aren't cheating.  The biggest issue people should have is with the record labels doing what they've always been doing; taking the lion's share from most artists.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,380 of 5,203
Got the update on my Mac as well.
Anyone know what is contained in latest update? I haven't noticed any change...other than version number. :unamused:

I haven't noticed a difference either.

Unless it was implemented in prior update, when you click on album pic you get a fancy display. Click on the album art in lower left corner for current song playing.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,381 of 5,203
I thought the spinning art work was from the last release. I could be wrong.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #2,382 of 5,203
Most recent update, at least on Win 7, make the interface much faster.  Much less waiting.  Actually good.  

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,383 of 5,203
There have been reports in the Norwegian and Swedish press that Aspiro misrepresented TIDAL and WiMP subscriber numbers prior to Jay-Z's purchase. Whilst this would be inexcusable if deliberate, I'm nevertheless surprised that this didn't become apparent during the due diligence process given Jay-Z's personal business experience and expertise alongside the lawyer braintrust of Roc Nation (and presumably with access to Live Nation's resources if necessary).

http://www.dn.no/etterBors/2016/03/30/2144/Musikk/jay-z-forbereder-gigantsksml-mot-nordmenn

http://www.dn.no/etterBors/2016/04/01/1404/Tidal/exclusive-here-is-the-letter-from-jay-z

http://www.breakit.se/artikel/3208/jay-z-stammer-de-gamla-tidal-agarna-schibsted-och-verdane

Dan Rys of Billboard has received official confirmation that, as of the end of March 2016, TIDAL's subscribers totalled "3m (~1.35m HiFi)". I consider that to be an impressive start for a niche service:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7317891/tidal-one-year-anniversary-by-the-numbers

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,385 of 5,203
Question for all the Squeezebox owners out there:

I initially installed the Tidal app available on mysqueezebox.com and found the interface to be pretty good. However when I checked the streaming rate, using my Squeeze Commander app on my phone, it said it was 256kps. I talked to Tidal support about this and they said you must use Ickstream and left it at that.

So I got Ickstream up and running and it appears to be streaming FLAC files (as I have paid for ). However the interface is absolutely terrible.

Has anyone had any success using the Tidal app directly on mysqueezebox??

Alternatively, I've been able to use BubbleUPnP and stream Tidal that way, and it's only slightly better. Overall, the app itself on a Desktop or Online is much more streamline and polished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back