Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 31, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #631 of 5,203

I hardly think they're after your average free Spotify users or casual listeners, and the whole business with the celebrities is probably to attract more money from investors.
FWIW I tried streaming Tidal to my iPad and Nexus 5, and both sounded very bland. On my headphone rig at PC however it sounds kickass, and the difference compared to Spotify, Youtube, etc. is clear. The desktop app is awful though, and I wish they worked on that.

Apparently they are as I just subscribed yesterday and I cannot find the desktop app on their website at all. I found an FAQ that says they pulled the app and they are working on fixing it. Unless I am missing something the only thing available to new subscribers it the web interface using Google Chrome. I actually like the layout of the iPhone app though I already noticed some issues with trying to stream Swedish house mafia, it said the record label doesn't allow streaming of this album. Never saw that in my time with spotify.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #632 of 5,203
No problem with the service. Just the people involved. I'll take my money elsewhere.

I'd understand if this was the video game industry where not buying a product from a certain company is mostly because "they're scumbags, mis-advertised, ect ect," but JayZ hasn't really done anything to deserve this kind of hate and Tidal is an excellent service quality wise. People, sadly, pay more attention to self-important public figures, which is probably why their marketing team is taking advantage of this. If you set aside what rap is mostly nowadays, JayZ is actually a pretty good artist. Then again, I'm a minority in that view. My playlist is a clusterduck of genres.

I hardly think they're after your average free Spotify users or casual listeners, and the whole business with the celebrities is probably to attract more money from investors.
FWIW I tried streaming Tidal to my iPad and Nexus 5, and both sounded very bland. On my headphone rig at PC however it sounds kickass, and the difference compared to Spotify, Youtube, etc. is clear. The desktop app is awful though, and I wish they worked on that.

Did you make sure both the settings for streaming quality were set to HiFi? I think there were two, but I can't remember. I know it was very hard, even in LTE, to get the HiFi streaming working unless I was on WiFi, which is why I just did offline downloads. I'm going to set up a Google drive page for getting the Tidal client, as I've noticed quite a few people can't get it now.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #633 of 5,203
I'm using the desktop app but I hope they release the new version soon. I hate Chrome browser, use Firefox.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #634 of 5,203
Just signed up for Tidal trial. I was looking for the desktop app, but it looks like they took it down and thanks for clarifying that. I'm stuck using Chrome for now, but I've also been searching for ways to bypass Windows audio though no luck. I'm enjoying the audio quality, but I know I can get more if I can get my Explorer2 to do the processing instead of Windows.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #635 of 5,203
I think the current hate for Jay-Z is directly correlated with the current polarization of politics & culture in America. You should see what they are saying about him on the Yahoo News forums.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #636 of 5,203
  I think the current hate for Jay-Z is directly correlated with the current polarization of politics & culture in America. You should see what they are saying about him on the Yahoo News forums.

Yes, the polarization here is pretty bad and still getting worse. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #637 of 5,203

Did you make sure both the settings for streaming quality were set to HiFi? I think there were two, but I can't remember. I know it was very hard, even in LTE, to get the HiFi streaming working unless I was on WiFi, which is why I just did offline downloads. I'm going to set up a Google drive page for getting the Tidal client, as I've noticed quite a few people can't get it now.

I did. My point was to point out that mobile devices are crappy sources for high fidelity, and services like Tidal aren't meant to cater that audience.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #638 of 5,203

I did. My point was to point out that mobile devices are crappy sources for high fidelity, and services like Tidal aren't meant to cater that audience.

Ah, fair enough. With an amp, the iPhone 6 is actually a good source, but I did usually use a HP-P1 and another amp as a portable rig for a couple months. Sounded great through that.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #639 of 5,203

This is a hugely relevant post considering much of the younger generation (who happen to be Tidal's target demographic now) listen solely on their smartphones.

But... Silver lining for Tidal, I think hi resolution smartphones are right around the corner anyways.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #640 of 5,203
Tidal just bought finnish radio station Radio Helsinki and puts it under Tidal's "ecosystem". It seems Project Panther owned by Jay-Z has given small shares to A-list artists of the company. I can already see live-concerts exclusive in Tidal. In couple of years Tidal can be force to be reckoned with in music business. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #641 of 5,203
This is a hugely relevant post considering much of the younger generation (who happen to be Tidal's target demographic now) listen solely on their smartphones.

But... Silver lining for Tidal, I think hi resolution smartphones are right around the corner anyways.

Tidal Hi-Fi+iPhone 6+Shure SE 846= True Bliss

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #644 of 5,203

Mac or PC?

I'm looking for the PC version if anyone has it 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back