Tidal Lossless Streaming
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #31 of 5,203
I compared a number of songs last night, Tidal to Spotify Extreme on iphone 6 & RE400. In every case, I liked the sound of Spotify better. The file quality differences were more than offset by the tuning of the app. Spotify sounds less digital, more like real instruments and voices to me. With warmer headphones, the result might be different though. I also found a lot of albums I searched for missing from Tidal.

I will continue to play with it for my 30 days, but leaning toward no so far.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #32 of 5,203
Is anyone else having a problem with the PC client at the moment? It was fine earlier, but in the past hour I've been completely unable to play any tracks...all I get is an error in the client "Track not valid".  Cheers.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #33 of 5,203
Tidal is unbelievably awesome. I stream in to my HTC One on Verizon with no issues. I also use my phone to wifi tether to my Nexus 7 tablet that I have installed in my car playing through a Behringer UCA202. I have my DAC feeding optical toslink into an Alpine PXA-H800 which, in turn, feeds analog signal into my 1800 watt JL Audio system.

I have been using Poweramp to play back hi-res audio files that are stored locally on a mounted USB drive, but now I finally have CD quality streaming audio in my car. I am more than happy to fork over the $20 a month fee for this.

The only issue I have had thus far is the occasional audio hitch while I am streaming during driving. I am sure they will iron this out in the future.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #34 of 5,203
You are correct it does require google chrome, however he did state that chrome is what he was using.

I am getting the same issue with my version of chrome. I updated to the latest beta version and still no luck. My thoughts was that it needed to access chrome via an extension or plugin which since im on a company machine, all extensions and plugins are blocked and need to be white listed.

Are you having this issues at home or a corporate owned machine? If a home user then that rules out group policy as a culprit.

I opened up a ticket with Tidal, we shall see how it goes.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 5,203
  Is anyone else having a problem with the PC client at the moment? It was fine earlier, but in the past hour I've been completely unable to play any tracks...all I get is an error in the client "Track not valid".  Cheers.

Yes.. I too have been having problems with the desktop client since this morning.  The Chrome Web Player, otoh, has been excellent.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 5,203

Thanks for pointing out that I said I AM using the Chrome browser and still not able to receive the lossless streaming feature on my desktop.

This is my home computer, not at work. Also I suppose I should mention that it's a Mac Mini (Late 2012 2.5ghz model)

I hope the fact that I'm using a Mac has nothing to do with this problem. 
confused.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #38 of 5,203
Thanks for pointing out that I said I AM using the Chrome browser and still not able to receive the lossless streaming feature on my desktop.

This is my home computer, not at work. Also I suppose I should mention that it's a Mac Mini (Late 2012 2.5ghz model)

I hope the fact that I'm using a Mac has nothing to do with this problem. 
confused.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #39 of 5,203
sorry for double post

Was trying to respond to sweetcriminal's response to my issue and forgot to quote him for his reply to my issue...

as the governer of Texas would say...."OOPS" 

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #40 of 5,203
Really impressed so far listening through the pc client, far better than Spotify's "extreme" 320kbps. The only issue I have now is that there is not exactly gapless playback due to I believe how they buffer the tracks on a track by track basis rather than pre-loading. Hopefully they add a fix for that but definitely worth the $20 with that one caveat. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 5,203
Compared the SAME song (With HUGO as DAC for booth, local play and Streaming)

- Local play of downloadad ALAC 
- Qobuz HIFI
- Tidal Hifi

and I find in term of SQ:   Local play >>Qobuz > Tidal,  with a substantial margin between the local play and the streaming.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #42 of 5,203

Happened to me awhile ago. Checked hours later and all fixed.

I'm currently impressed by the SQ of the tracks.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #43 of 5,203
Need some help, not sure whats going on. I downloaded the Desktop Version on my 2007 Macbook with OSX 10.6.  For some reason when I go to settings, the HiFI is not working for me. I can select Hight and everything plays fine but when I select HIFI it saids no device available and no sound.  I have a BEL CANTO usb/spdif converter which I disconnected to use the internal computer sound car and same thing no way of selecting hi fi.  I connected my DAC via optical output and same thing.  
The answer from TIDAL was that maybe the program does not like my sound card.  Thats does not make sense. I even changed the midi audio set up and no luck.  
With the Web version no issues I can select HIFI.  But still want to find out whats going on.
Any ideas?

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #44 of 5,203
I have the opposite problem. I was not able to get the HiFi setting to work on my MacMini (2012 model) while using the web version, (Chrome browser). But then I downloaded the desktop version and I get the HiFi setting to play, no problem. On top of that, I went to my old 2007 iMac and tried the the web version there with Chrome and the Hifi setting works fine. 

I can't figure out what's going on between the 2 different computers. If anything, I would have thought the older Mac would have issues playing the Hifi setting on it and not the newer Mac Mini. Go figure. 
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #45 of 5,203

Happened to me awhile ago. Checked hours later and all fixed.

I'm currently impressed by the SQ of the tracks.

I logged a case with Tidal support yesterday and they confirmed that there was an outage at their end. It started working fine again for me early evening yesterday (UK time). I suppose it's inevitable that they'll experience some teething problems considering there must be a huge upsurge of users on the system at the moment.  If nothing else, it's a good stress test of their infrastructure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back