Tidal Lossless Streaming
Nov 2, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #61 of 5,203
There is a way to transfer money paulists : https://tidalsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201724441-How-do-I-import-playlists-from-Spotify-in-the-Web-Player-

It is not full proof though, from 254 songs in one of my playlists it transferr d 221 and some are different versions of the apology song but at least the bulk of the work is done.

Thanks, I'll give it a go! I'm finding some artists selections like Sara K are almost non-existent in Tidal:frowning2: Hopefully the library will improve.
I just discovered Tidal and I'm using the web player, is there a standalone player like Spotify?
NVM... just found it.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #62 of 5,203
I've been trying in through the weekend. I'm impressed my the sound quality and library content. I've only used the iPad version. Been either using Dragonfly//HD600s, Bottlehead Crack/HD600s or streaming to Appletv to the speaker rig. Very, pleased with all set ups. Just the $20/month.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #63 of 5,203
Tidal is awesome . It has most of what i want for my listening preferences. I am really enjoying what this offers and the sound well it is incredible and very easy to use. I think this will be a major success(well at least in our community).

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #67 of 5,203
I moved from Spotify to Qobuz about a year ago and now listen almost exclusively to Qobuz through Sonos into my HiFi.  The sound quality is hard to distinguish from CDs and I've been really pleased with Qobuz.  

I've taken up the one month free trial with Tidal as an 'early adopter'.  I was a little disappointed that Tidal isn't yet integrated into Sonos as What HiFi magazine had reported that it would be integrated from launch.  However, I understand that this will be coming soon.  My first impressions of Tidal are very good.  The Android app is a definite step up from the lousy Qobuz app and the the desktop application and web player are both very good - clean and intuitive.  Sound quality seems to be on a par with Qobuz but I'll reserve final judgement until I've had a chance to do more listening through my HiFi when Tidal gets integrated into Sonos.

Track availability seems to be a little better than Qobuz, though the big omissions are still there - AC/DC, Led Zep, Beatles, etc.  According to the quoted figures, Tidal should have around ten million more tracks than Qobuz but I wonder if the gap is really that big?  Does anyone independent actually check the claimed track numbers?  Also, I recall Spotify having numerous 'best of' compilations for older artists - a definite case of more is less.  And I wonder if each time 'What a Wonderful World', or whatever, appears is counted multiple times?  Just how reliable or meaningful are the quoted track numbers for the various streaming apps? 

The videos are a nice bonus on Tidal - they don't player on the desktop app though - only the web player and mobile apps.  It would be nice to see this integrated into my TV (Virgin Media).

I'm advised by Tidal that when Android Lollipop is released in a week or so, supporting USB Audio, it will be possible to use an external USB DAC/amp with Tidal.  I have an HRT Microstreamer so I'm looking forward to trying this.

I've been using Qobuz in my bedroom through an old Iphone 3GS but Tidal will not work with this as it requires a more recent version of IOS than the 3GS will update to, which is disappointing.

Overall, once Tidal have the Sonos integration sorted I think I'll be switching to them from Qobuz.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #70 of 5,203
Tidal will output to attached USB DAC already, same as any other audio app, using stock Android KitKat version 4.4.4.

Sounds very lush. Greater depth and detail than Spotify Extreme. Catologue is broader than Qobuz's, but shallower than Spotify's.

Upgrading to a 4G data plan aswell as the added cost of the Tidal sub means it's not going to be a goer for me. Nice while it lasts though, this free month long trial.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #71 of 5,203
Does anyone else have their Tidal PC client using a sound output device other than the Windows default device?  In my case, the Tidal client is configured to use JRiver MC WDM.  If so, I'd appreciate you trying this test to see if you get the same issue as me:

1. Play "Syro" album by Aphex Twin  (mine plays through correct device - JRiver)
2. Play "I'm the Supervisor" album by Infected Mushroom (mine plays through the default Windows sound device, no matter what I change that to).

The obvious difference between the albums is that Syro is in "hifi" and I'm The Supervisor is not.  I'm thinking there could be a bug where playback of non-hifi tracks ignore the selected output device in Tidal settings.  Would be good to see if others are getting the same issue.  I'm struggling to find any other non-hifi tracks, but testing some others would be useful. Cheers!

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #72 of 5,203
Sitting in a coffee shop streaming HIFI to my D10/SE846 and completely impressed at the quality I'm hearing... Finally have some justification to go up to a balanced portable setup. Only thing I'm having a hard time with is the lack of playlists, notably user-made playlists. Am I missing something or is this really not a feature?

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #73 of 5,203
I keep trying to decide if this actually does better than Google or Spotify at their highest levels, and thus far I'm not convinced I can hear a difference, whether it's through my VDAC/Lyr/LCD-2 combo or my phone into my SE846. I'm sure it's there, but I am not really able to hear it. 

I'll probably stick with it because I do like the curated playlists and the service itself seems EXCEPTIONALLY well made, but the whole "hifi streaming" thing feels more like a marketing gimmick than anything useful. 

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #74 of 5,203
  Tidal will output to attached USB DAC already, same as any other audio app, using stock Android KitKat version 4.4.4.

Sounds very lush. Greater depth and detail than Spotify Extreme. Catologue is broader than Qobuz's, but shallower than Spotify's.

Upgrading to a 4G data plan aswell as the added cost of the Tidal sub means it's not going to be a goer for me. Nice while it lasts though, this free month long trial.

When I try to output from my HTC One (M7) to HRT Microstreamer using Tidal the volume is either nil or full.  How can I get volume to work?

Unless I'm missing something, Qobuz won't output from Android on HTC one (M7) to Microstreamer either?

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #75 of 5,203
That's the beauty of Android for you - not all phones work alike due to differences in hardware and/or firmware/software. Similarly not all USB DACs work alike. There's a thread for that :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

In my own case, first generation Moto G running stock 4.4.4 outputs all audio emitting apps (including Qobuz) to attached USB DAC (Stoner Acoustics UD110), and I can control volume using hardware and software volume controls on the phone.

Previous versions of Android OS on Moto G would not enable the ease of use that the current OS version does - for a while I would have to boot the phone with the DAC attached to be able to control the volume of any audio emitting apps (UAPP being the exception as it has it's own framework/driver and bypasses the Android audio framework), however there was a downside in that I would need to restart the phone again (with DAC unattached) to re-instate the default audio framework, i.e. to have audio emerge from earpiece, speaker, headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back