Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 27, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #586 of 5,210
  I haven't gone through this whole thread so maybe this is a stupid question. I just signed up for the 7 day Tidal trial. I've heard people mention a standalone desktop app but when I go to the Downloads page all I see is a button to Play Now in the Web Player and options to download for iOS and Android. Am I missing something?

Edit: And what's with the countdown timer on the main page?

I'm not sure but I belive they're going to announce high-res streaming which won't take more bandwidth than CD quality by using Meridian's MQA technology. You need a Meridian DAC or system though as currently only Meridian products can decode MQA. Other DACs and systems will downsample to CD quality because they can't decode it. If Meridian sell the license to companies like Linn, Chord etc. howeever, I believe FPGA dacs can be programmed to decode MQA. Right now the cheapest way to decode MQA is Meridian's Explorer 2.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #587 of 5,210

I'm retired so I'm listening to Tidal for hours at a time. This morning it's over an hour without a dropout and maybe six hours yesterday (bought some new hardware so I've got headphones on much of the day). I'm on the same 50 meg high-speed cable modem with Cogeco and it's been fine. There was one day when Tidal wouldn't load properly and I can't say why but the issue disappeared an hour later. Like I said any dropouts appear local with my wife working at home she's on the Internet full time. Thinking of installing a music server (maybe a Mac Mini) right off the modem and grabbing bandwidth early and avoiding issues with my MacBook Pro running out of bandwidth when I'm editing photos or videos.

It's encouraging to hear that your experience was more positive than mine. My Tidal trial was during the initial rollout, so things might have improved since then. Once the complaints settle down I'll give it another try. I split my time between Canada and Brasil--more Brasil than Canada--so it needs to work in both countries. While Tidal is not officially available in Brasil, there is was problem accessing my account in Brasil. No VPN or DNS unblocker was needed.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #589 of 5,210
I just failed the Tidal streaming equipment test!!!
Listening through an iMac Schiit modi, lyr, and LCD 2's I got 2 out of 5 right.
What does this this say about my ears, equipment, or hi res streaming?
Admittedly I have had a cold recently and my ears may still be a little congested.
Alternatively does this say more about hi res streaming. Being a photographer, the obvious analogy is .tiff files vs .jpegs. The tiff files are lossless but I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between a level 10 compression jpeg and a tiff even looking at a 100% view. The jpeg will do a very good job at compressing and reconstituting the original image. Or I'm I completely wrong with this?

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #590 of 5,210
Hi Boombasic: I'm a retired pro photographer (newspapers and national magazines). I agree there's no practical difference between .tiffs and .jpegs right up to the moment your wife asks you to fix the shot she took of her girlfriends who are all in shadow because the shot was taken with a bright window in the background. With a JPG we're screwed. With a TIFF I can bring people back from the dead :) I setup my wife's Olympus Pen to shoot raw files and I edit them in Lightroom when she gets back home. As for Tidal, I'm streaming it everyday and even with my Fiio E10K into my home office Tivoli Audio mini-stereo with a sub-woofer (Ugh I know) the audio is exceptionally detailed, deeper and much easier to listen to for hours and hours at a time. Through my Fostex HP-A8C into my Audeze LCD-X (I went nuts in the audio shop here in Toronto.) Tidal sounds exquisite but after a couple of hours my ears are tired :) I can hear the difference and even if I can't I still think I can and for my money (and there was a lot of it) that's all that counts :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #591 of 5,210
Yea. Netstat has tidal.exe in israel. I ran a tracert on the ip and it never arrived. Would time-out after multiple hops around the world. Will be cancelling soon.

Living near Dallas, I'm discouraged to see that you're located in Houston, not enjoying good service, yet receiving Tidal's music stream from their apparently new servers in Israel instead of Copenhagen.

I say that because I've  been enjoying dropout-free listening lately, at all times of day (crossing my fingers for more of the same), but on reading your post, I ran the netstat -b and tracert commands again today, for the first time since mid-February, and discovered that I, too, am now receiving the Tidal music stream (tidal.exe) from Israel instead of Copenhagen, and my command traffic (tidalmedia.exe) is being handled by a server in Boston instead of Copenhagen.

I'll take it as a good sign that I'm now being served from Israel (via Paris and Wichita, Kansas) instead of from Copenhagen, via Bern Switzerland and Wichita, Kansas.)

Currently, things are improved for me, but time will tell.

Mike

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #592 of 5,210
I've been on Tidal since November, 2014. I use Tidal every day for several hours. I am on a Verizon Wireless 4G LTE account in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. I have never had a dropout. Just saying.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #593 of 5,210
I've been on Tidal since November, 2014. I use Tidal every day for several hours. I am on a Verizon Wireless 4G LTE account in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. I have never had a dropout. Just saying.

That's great to hear. It's inexplicable from my perspective, but I'm happy for you and those who are experiencing similar reliability.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #594 of 5,210
I'm glad mine has been almost perfect. I can say I have not had a single error or warning pop up. I use both Chrome browser and app on my phone.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #596 of 5,210
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #597 of 5,210
Quoting a ComputerAudiophile post from the "Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread":

...  If you run BubbleUPnP Server v0.9-update7 you must update to v0.9-update8 that I published today that fixes TIDAL streaming not working since about a day or two, due to TIDAL changing its streaming infrastructure to Amazon (which I suppose will improve reliability).

Wow!  The guy making this statement is the developer of the software BubbleUPnP Server, but I can't find any corroborating evidence online...

I just posted this:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/official-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread-22260/index14.html#post412870

Mike

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #598 of 5,210
Just launched in Australia!

My initial thoughts is that tidal is amazing!!

Listening through note 4 -> chord Hugo > fitear mh335dw

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #599 of 5,210
Signed up for a trial, like what I hear so far, but $20 is harder the swallow than something like $15 for some reason 
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #600 of 5,210
  Quoting a ComputerAudiophile post from the "Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread":

Wow!  The guy making this statement is the developer of the software BubbleUPnP Server, but I can't find any corroborating evidence online...

I just posted this:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/official-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread-22260/index14.html#post412870

Mike

Yeah,  I read about Amazon servers last week.

It seems they are putting a lot of effort into getting this service to get it right.

And it seems that the desktop application is not downloadable now (they claim they are working on improving it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back