Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 8, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #3,376 of 5,203
  Hi Guys, Just want to know what are your thoughts on the Tidal MQA masters?  I am having second thoughts on upgrading to HiFi after seeing this video.

https://youtu.be/JPempOn1QgY (the part about Tidal with MQA starts around 6:20)

Thanks!

That's odd because you posted 13 minutes before this post that you had already cancelled your subscription: http://www.head-fi.org/t/832435/how-best-to-serve-tidal-master-roon  Are you just trying to promote your video or have some agenda or what?

I've just canceled my Tidal subscription after seeing this video. (the MQA part starts at 6:20)

https://youtu.be/JPempOn1QgY

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #3,377 of 5,203
I was going to just cancel but Tidal said I can still have the subscription to the end of the month. That's why I'm asking for a second opinion
before the end of the month.  Any ideas?
Thanks!

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,378 of 5,203
Mar 9, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #3,380 of 5,203
  Hi Guys, Just want to know what are your thoughts on the Tidal MQA masters?  I am having second thoughts on upgrading to HiFi after seeing this video.

https://youtu.be/JPempOn1QgY (the part about Tidal with MQA starts around 6:20)

Thanks!

I've tried all the available online streaming services and to my ears Tidal HiFi sounds the best.  I am sure that there is some validity to what he is saying but when it comes down to it Tidal HiFi is currently the best all you can eat service available that I have found.

As far as the MQA goes vs the Flac streaming again to my ears I hear a discernible difference.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3,381 of 5,203
  If Spotify starts offering lossless, I'd say Tidal is pretty well sunk.

I hope Spotify would offer something that too.
I used to use Spotify before Tidal, but I found Tidal's library system is not nearly as clear as Spotify.  
From my personal experience, all the Chinese titles in Spotify are in Chinese but, in Tidal the titles are all badly translated to English in which all their meanings were lost in translation.
I would probably go back to Spotify after my Tidal subscription is up. The quality differences aren't that noticeable from the phone anyway.  

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3,382 of 5,203
  I hope Spotify would offer something that too.
I used to use Spotify before Tidal, but I found Tidal's library system is not nearly as clear as Spotify.  
From my personal experience, all the Chinese titles in Spotify are in Chinese but, in Tidal the titles are all badly translated to English in which all their meanings were lost in translation.
I would probably go back to Spotify after my Tidal subscription is up. The quality differences aren't that noticeable from the phone anyway.  

It's coming. Just this week an announcement popped up that Spotify is rolling out a HiFi option, some users even got the upgrade option in the app (although it errored out if they tried to do it). 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,383 of 5,203

It's coming. Just this week an announcement popped up that Spotify is rolling out a HiFi option, some users even got the upgrade option in the app (although it errored out if they tried to do it). 

Great News, that should finalize my decision. Bye, bye Tidal!  Thank you, SomeGuyDude! 

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #3,386 of 5,203
edited update:
my tidal is up for renewal 24th...considering pulling the plug ...we'll see..still not sure.
hopefully moving to spotify if they offer hifi...esp if they go the next step and make arrangements with Roon.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,387 of 5,203
Spotify seems to be researching price-points and user interest. I doubt they are introducing it any time soon.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,388 of 5,203
Spotify seems to be researching price-points and user interest. I doubt they are introducing it any time soon.

Possibly. On the other hand, I don't think it's nearly as hard to roll out as some suggest. They have the masters from the labels already, it's just a matter of uploading. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,390 of 5,203
My guess is end of this year at the earliest. It won't have MQA like Tidal though although that is extremely niche and only really benefits people with the right hardware.

I've put this stuff through high-end gear before and I still can't tell 320 from lossless. Even 192 to lossless with modern codecs requires a lot of squinting and just the right music.

This is mostly placebo effect, but it's nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back