Tidal Lossless Streaming
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,331 of 5,203

Agreed, its all about audio quality, not usability. TIdal is not the best UI but thats why Roon is king of the hill. Beautiful UI and 99% (No Masters(Read:Mqa section) (Create MQA playlist is the workaround)) of full Tidal integration.

but who is to say that Roon and Spotify might not do something, too, if Spotify is  stepping up their game
and offering quality lossless (etc)...
Spotify is already locked in with Sonos with some apps (a huge seller of audio).....

would be a win win for Roon, too, to reach more marketshare.

Lastly Spotify has many more members than does Tidal (despite many on the free membership)...

"Currently Spotify sits at 30 million paying subscribers, Apple Music sits at 13 million. Tidal's last official count in March pegged the service at 1 or so  (850, 000 paying for hifi?). But, that was before Tidal adopted streaming."exclusives as a major strategy.May 16, 2016

competition could be pretty sweet for us ....

wink.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #3,332 of 5,203
but who is to say that Roon and Spotify might not do something, too, if Spotify is  stepping up their game
Spotify is already locked in with Sonos with some apps (a huge seller of audio).....

Lastly Spotify has many more members than does Tidal (despite many on the free membership)...

"Currently Spotify sits at 30 million paying subscribers, Apple Music sits at 13 million. Tidal's last official count in March pegged the service at 3 million (with 1.5 million paying nearly $20-a-month for higher fidelity). But, that was before Tidal adopted streaming."exclusives as a major strategy.May 16, 2016

Tidal and Roon also play nice with Sonos. 

Agreed totally with your last point. Because in general, when the tide rises, we all float higher.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3,333 of 5,203
Suggestion for the folks at Tidal... Ward off the Spotify challenge by cutting a deal with the Roon folks to use a lightweight version of their excellent GUI, metadata, and search functionality to replace the whole Tidal user experience.

I tried Roon for a year and loved it. Cancelled my subscription because I do not need multi room and remote capabilities, and could not justify the cost.

"Roon light" on my iOS devices, at a much reduced price would win me back. Tidal in iOS with a Roon GUI would be my end game.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,335 of 5,203

Spotify have actively declined any integration with Roon.
Roon wanted to do this a long time ago, Spotify won't allow it.

any idea why?
and i also wonder if that might change, now that lossless is tossed into the mix.
I wonder if Roon is thinking:'wow, 30 million paid subscribers!..just think if we had even 1% of that going onto
lossless and wanting to try us on some 'free for 60 day' intro package'.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,336 of 5,203
  any idea why?
and i also wonder if that might change, now that lossless is tossed into the mix.
I wonder if Roon is thinking:'wow, 30 million paid subscribers!..just think if we had even 1% of that going onto
lossless and wanting to try us on some 'free for 60 day' intro package'.

You can read more about it here:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/spotify-support-same-as-tidal/1423/11

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #3,337 of 5,203
I just signed up for Tidal myself, the HiFi $25 a month subscription. Ive been comparing it to Apple music listening through my Macbook Pro, to a Schitt Fulla, then to my AKG 7xx, Audio Technica ATHMSR7s, and Vmoda M100's. Not only does Apple music sound better, it sounds exceptionally better. Its a much cleaner sound, and the bass is tighter. Am i doing something wrong, or is Tidal a ripoff? Have you or anyone else have any ideas? Thanks

Hello Shove,

I was on Apple Music on my iMac and iOS devices and found Tidal to sound better, more dynamic range and greater sound stage. You have to compare the same Albums which can be difficult to to determine as there are many remastered versions. I tried Starwars A Force Awakens of which there is only one digital version.

If Apple improve the quality to lossless then i will switch back to Apple as the user interface now is much better on ios devices. However they have to do something about iTunes which is not very good for audio quality.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,338 of 5,203

Agreed, its all about audio quality, not usability. TIdal is not the best UI but thats why Roon is king of the hill. Beautiful UI and 99% (No Masters(Read:Mqa section) (Create MQA playlist is the workaround)) of full Tidal integration.

"Currently Spotify sits at 30 million paying subscribers, Apple Music sits at 13 million. Tidal's last official count in March pegged the service at 3 million (with 1.5 million paying nearly $20-a-month for higher fidelity). But, that was before Tidal adopted streaming."exclusives as a major strategy.May 16, 2016

The Tidal count was incorrect and they had to issue an apology. Tidal as I understand is really under 1 million for paid subscribers based on reports Jan 2017.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,340 of 5,203
The Tidal count was incorrect and they had to issue an apology. Tidal as I understand is really under 1 million for paid subscribers based on reports Jan 2017.

yes, it was somewhere around a piddly 850,000, if i read correctly...sorry i didn't update that.

and now spotify has just reached the 50 million mark.
https://www.cnet.com/news/spotify-50-million-subscribers-members-apple-music-tidal/

fingers crossed that Apple will offer alac lossless with their iphone 8 in the fall.
the more that the major big league 'mainstream' players can get involved, the better for us all.

things don't look good for Tidal.....

to Chikolad: seems a member of Roon ('Danny' ??) might have posted in the comments section of Darko's discussion on this
(being rebuffed before).
guess Roon is to try again to reach out to them (an no wonder...$$$)
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/03/lossless-cd-quality-streaming-coming-to-spotify/

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,341 of 5,203
Hiiii xD,

Do you know how TAKE the File download on ANdroid phone???

I have Download ALBUM on my Telphone Android, and I can't find where IS my Files FLAC..... xD

Thx a lot.

You can't see the files as they are encrypted. You can play them in the offline section of the app. Downloading an album only allows the files to be played by the Tidal app when your phone does not have Wi-Fi or data access.

There's no way of "accessing" the downloaded album.

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,342 of 5,203
Even Spotify, Apple Music would offer lossless streaming, MQA could be a gamechanger, because MQA sounds really good. Of course record quality what really matters (even red book ones could sound spectacular).

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,343 of 5,203
Hello. This has probably been discussed before on this thread but is it worth paying for tital's hifi package on my iPhone 7 ? I'm just curios if iOS can playback suck high bitrates or should I just go with the 320 subscription ? Thanks. Cheers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back