Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Jul 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #136 of 336
lao, This is what I've been told. That the carrier informed the seller that it was "damaged during inspection at the China Customs office" I sounds strange but the seller has been nothing but open and honest with me so far. I have no reason not to believe him.

The Xonar Essence STX is being discounted everywhere probably due to the ST coming out real soon. I would have preferred the ST but both have nearly the same components. I should be able to roll the LME49720 with it as well. (After rechecking advertising screen it states that the chip I purchased is for the DIP-8) It looks as they may have typoed the product number. I hope I can tell a difference with my current setup. I've been using onboard Realtek audio with bitperfect (wasapi) drivers. My Onkyo 705 is dac is doing the d/a conversion in chassis. Using the STX, the conversion done in pc would be sent 4ft way across near numerous power\signal cords and two ups. I don't know if this will add a bit of noise or hum to the signal. Also unsure if the 705 handles analog as well as it does digital although the only thing I really use for music is the Audyssey MultEQ in stereo or PLIIx\DTS for center channel playback.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #137 of 336
G, man, tell me, what would be the role of the new DAC/AMP? Why are you talking about your receiver? You want to connect the next DAC (zero, stx, compass, whatever) to it and use the loudspeakers/headphones connect to it? I've not read much about your receiver, but it's DAC is probably (very?) good, I don't know if you will have big improvements on buying an additional DAC to feed it. If you want to hear music from your computer to it, you just need to feed it with the S/PDIF output from you basic soundcard and let your receiver do the rest. I would buy a new DAC/AMP only if I really would like to use it and it alone to feed my headphones or pc speakers.

About cabling the stx lineout to you receiver (analog signal) I don't think it would suffer audible interference for 1,5m of cable, it should not be a problem. I think you don't have electromagnetic field strong enough on you installation to induct fat parasites on your signal. But you can always buy the stx and see it by yourself and send it back to your shop if you think the extra money is worthless. You could test the following setups:

1- digital out (s/pdif) from your current soundcard -> digital input receiver -> receiver's headphone output
2- analog out from stx -> analog input receiver -> receiver's headphone output
3- stx's headphone output directly.

(unless you want use your audio pc independently from your receiver, in which case, I repeat, I don't understand why you are mentioning your receiver)

lao

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #138 of 336
Lao, Buying the STX serves two purposes. One, it gives me an audio device other than my pc's built-in audio. I just don't know if I will hear noticeable improvement. The realtek onboard audio sound pretty good to me thru the Onkyo's s/pdif inputs but everyone seems to dismiss built-in audio. I thinking maybe "ignorance is bliss" applies here in my case. Secondly, I am finding greater appreciation of headphone audio particularly since I cannot get the detail and presence I want at the volume I am forced to listen due to family\neighbors, etc. Lastly, I simply love the functionality of the 0404 USB but I find it way to harsh. Oddly, I haven't tried the headphone through the Onkyo. For some reason I guess I've thought a receiver's headphone output were inferior. I'll try it this evening and see how it sounds. If I am very pleased with this STX soundcard than the only thing I would need it a nice portable headamp to use with my laptop and second pc setups. Something portable enough to move around between the three setups. Maybe one of the Little Dot amps. I'm sure all this is sounding very confusing. Every once in a while I just want to spend money. I been working very hard these days and find music becoming more of an outlet. The fact that it's a splurge and I understand this is why I limit myself to $200 right now.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #139 of 336
y, I can understand you
smily_headphones1.gif
That's the magic of the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by G~mann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lao, Buying the STX serves two purposes. One, it gives me an audio device other than my pc's built-in audio. I just don't know if I will hear noticeable improvement. The realtek onboard audio sound pretty good to me thru the Onkyo's s/pdif inputs but everyone seems to dismiss built-in audio. I thinking maybe "ignorance is bliss" applies here in my case.

well, if you use the s/pdif out of the soundcard, you will hear no difference at all, since the s/pdif out of the soundcard just take the decoded digital samples from the audiosteream going to the card and encapsulate it using the s/pdif standard. This is the setup number 1 I suggested you in the last post. So, for this "reason one" you don't need to buy a better soundcard, the "built-in" audio will do not worse not better than any another card in the world.

however, if you use the DAC out (line out) of the current card and that of the stx (eg, setup 2 I said in my last post, where you connect the line out of the card to the analog input of your receiver), or the headphone out of both (ie, setup 3 in my last post, where you will use the DAC and the AMP of the stx) and make a direct comparison, there my friend you will feel the difference right the way. For me this is the whole reason for why I would by (and I did buy) a second (and, ofc, better) DAC+AMP solution. It makes no sense to buy another DAC+AMP if you will only use the s/pdif output.

Quote:

Secondly, I am finding greater appreciation of headphone audio particularly since I cannot get the detail and presence I want at the volume I am forced to listen due to family\neighbors, etc.

but you can always use the headphone out of your receiver, as you said later
smily_headphones1.gif
So, if you enjoy it, the "second reason" is also not necessary
tongue.gif

Quote:

Lastly, I simply love the functionality of the 0404 USB but I find it way to harsh.

how are you using your 0404 at this moment? What's the setup?

Quote:

Oddly, I haven't tried the headphone through the Onkyo. For some reason I guess I've thought a receiver's headphone output were inferior. I'll try it this evening and see how it sounds.

indeed, it's funny how you never tried it even for curiosity
smily_headphones1.gif
Tell me what you think about, and the difference in sound if you compare to what you can hear directly from your pc's built-in audio headphone output (with all audio enhancements, like equalizer, SRS/WOW effects, turned off). However I can't tell you if the headphone out for your receiver is amplified or not, even if I have a feeling it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

If I am very pleased with this STX soundcard than the only thing I would need it a nice portable headamp to use with my laptop and second pc setups. Something portable enough to move around between the three setups. Maybe one of the Little Dot amps.

The problem of the STX (just like any soundcard) is that you will only use it on one pc, you cannot use it with your laptop neither in a second pc, unless you buy a second stx (or if you remove from the pc1 and go to the pc2 and you go back and forth, which is pretty much painful). In this case, if you buy only an AMP and not a DAC you will only benefit of the better AMP, and for the laptop and the second pc you will have to use the DAC from the current soundcard. However, you can port the zero, compass or any other DAC+AMP stand alone solution everywhere (as I said before), always giving you the exactly same quality no matter where you plug it (pc1, laptop, pc2).

By the way, what you mean by a portable amp? Are you referring to those powered by batteries? or by portable you mean not onboard?
smile.gif

Quote:

I'm sure all this is sounding very confusing. Every once in a while I just want to spend money. I been working very hard these days and find music becoming more of an outlet. The fact that it's a splurge and I understand this is why I limit myself to $200 right now.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Nothing more legitimate for a worker to give to itself nice little gifts
biggrin.gif
And if the music can relax you, cool you down, it's a no brainer! If the money can buy you a smile, don't hesitate (ofc, moderately, $200
biggrin.gif
). I don't think it's a splurge in this case, because if you don't buy it you will go to see a doctor to buy anti-stress medicine, so... take it as you medicine/therapy
wink.gif

lao

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #140 of 336
lao,

Primary use would be ...

digital out (s/pdif) from your current soundcard -> digital input receiver (#1)
stx's headphone output directly (#3)

yOU say "the "built-in" audio will do not worse not better than any another card..."

I did not know if jitter control or other signal handling issues would be better with a highend dedicated card compared to onboard audio chip.

I've never used the motherboards analog line outs \ never used the Onkyo headphone out
I just recently started using headphone (since the purchase of 0404 usb) I would have to get extension cable since it is not located in an optimal listening area.

you say "... with all audio enhancements, like equalizer, SRS/WOW effects, turned off"
I never use that stuff. Only Audyssey room acoustics correction.

Considering I like the sound of the STX, buying a great sounding portable (battery powered preferred not required) amp may be all I need (hence don't need 2nd dac - Compass)

I am using the 0404 primary as a portable dac/headamp device. I just need a warm portable headamp to soften it's sound and small enough to take to the other PCs or the office.

Sorry for the formatting, I do not know how to use multi-Quote in messaging.

G~mann

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #141 of 336
Quote:

Primary use would be ...

digital out (s/pdif) from your current soundcard -> digital input receiver (#1)
stx's headphone output directly (#3)

yOU say "the "built-in" audio will do not worse not better than any another card..."

I did not know if jitter control or other signal handling issues would be better with a highend dedicated card compared to onboard audio chip.

Let me quote this: "Jitter is timing variations in the clock that controls when the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) chip turns each digital sample into an analog signal". In other words, when you use the digital out of your card in s/pdif format, the jitter problem may happen in the external DAC (your receiver, in your case) so that whether you use a built-in sound card or the best of all cards there's nothing the card can do apart to format the digital input samples into the s/pdif standard. It is up to the DAC to lock the frequency and the phase properly.

However, if you use the DAC from the soundcard, in this case a better soundcard may control more precisely the time variations of the audio signal. That's one of the differences between the STX and the ST, for example.

Whenever you have a spare time, take a look at the Chap. 4 of this book Principles of Digital Audio - Google Books (Principles of Digital Audio, by Ken C. Pohlmann) If you have not too much spare time, you can take a look from the page 124 on, where it discuss about the jitter problem in a more general way, not only the DAC jitter problem. It's maybe a bit too much scientific reading, but it is a very precise and accurate source of information
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I've never used the motherboards analog line outs \ never used the Onkyo headphone out
I just recently started using headphone (since the purchase of 0404 usb) I would have to get extension cable since it is not located in an optimal listening area.

what's your headphones?

Quote:

you say "... with all audio enhancements, like equalizer, SRS/WOW effects, turned off"
I never use that stuff. Only Audyssey room acoustics correction.

good
smile.gif

Quote:

Sorry for the formatting, I do not know how to use multi-Quote in messaging.

oh, it's easy, you just hit the quote bottom and copy and past the open (eg,
G~mann;5830838 said:
) and close ([/ QUOTE] - there shall not exist "space" between "/" and "Q") tags to each paragraph you whan to quote separately
wink.gif

lao

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #142 of 336
To multi-quote, you click on the multiquote button on each post you want to quote,
multiquote_off.gif
then click on "Post Reply" when you're ready to write your post. It works even if you change pages or view other threads.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #143 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what's your headphones?

Senn 280 Pro. I'm looking for a good pair of opens. Maybe the Grado 125i.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow48_6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the new zero dac.

What do you think of the new zero dac? Which opamp do you have?

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #144 of 336
hi' guys how u'all doing"...and as the zero dac rolls on "GOOD OR BAD" it sure brings out the best of U'ALL THINKING" can i ask a none dac question i was checking out the AKG K701 ?
and i ran into a problem--- akg (white k701) and k701 studio whats with the huge price gap between them....the white <>$500+ the other for $268---299 ? whats up with that.

Wyn

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #145 of 336
Quote:

lao
The Audigy was known for taking whatever samplerate given and resampling it to 48Khz. The Xonar HDAV when initially released downsampled to 24bit\48Khz even at times when the source should not have required a protected path. Then there's cards that waste real estate on cheap DSPs to allow effects such as XFi's Crystalizer or EAX. These may be welcomed if you're into games or using cheap desktop speakers. But not only are these such cards far from being bitperfect, they purposely alter the original source beit hardware, software, or a combination of both. I prefer a soundcard with the same qualities we look for in dac\amps. One that simply outputs what it receives clean, untampered with as much as possible. With the additional ability of playing multichannel LPCM and bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA formats. Basically taking the best of the Xonar Essence STX and xONAR HDAV 1.3 soundcards.

some news for ya. The VLC 1.0 is now released and it has the AES3, Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, Blu-Ray Linear PCM decoders (among others) embedeed
wink.gif

lao

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #146 of 336
lao,

This is good news but I may still stick with MPC-HC \ Core AVC combo. The lastest versions utilize the GPU for DXVA and CUDA acceleration. Still important (in my system) when decode 1080p material. Though, I don't believe MPC-HC can handle any of the things you listed above.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #148 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by wynshad12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi' guys how u'all doing"

Drunk!
smily_headphones1.gif

[/quote...and as the zero dac rolls on "GOOD OR BAD" it sure brings out the best of U'ALL THINKING" can i ask a none dac question i was checking out the AKG K701 ?
and i ran into a problem--- akg (white k701) and k701 studio whats with the huge price gap between them....the white <>$500+ the other for $268---299 ? whats up with that.

Wyn[/QUOTE]

Sound on the earlier ones was good. Very good for the money, and made better with a little tweaking. But many of the units(standard or modded) failed after several weeks or months, making the quality of the sound quite irrelevant.

Good units, let down by penny-pinching. Things may be better now though...

~Phewl.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #149 of 336
Caution! - very long post ahead.
ksc75smile.gif

@ Phewl I have some reservations about the ZERO dac failures. How many of the original ZERO's failure were due to mods? I was real hard on the manufacturer of zero several post back due to recent quality issues. Come to find out one of the apparent problems was due to user's mistake. He coulda "saved face" but came back and openly admitted his mistake. How many others actions (modding) caused the early demise of their ZERO. Back then some mods were done by resellers as well. I went thru 90+ pages of ZERO posts. Although people noticed the poor quality soldering and questionable design methods early on, I didn't find much talk of unit failure until nearly 6 to 9 months after release. I do not know much about electronics but in the computer world on the subject of overclocking or going fanless, it's said that excessive HEAT kills. If not immediately, it can shorten life. The RROD issue with XBox 360 is a prime (over simplified) example of what cheap lead free solder, questionable (thermal) design and extreme heat can do. Many of the mods and part choices made back then for the ZERO are way over my head. Even still, the LT1364 was way too hot for me to have used. The SQ improved surely could not have justified the added heat (LT1057 would have been a more acceptable comprised) Following the threads back, at least 2 people whose ZERO died chose to use the LT1364. There were countless other combinations of opamp, resisters, caps, bypassing, fixing lifted pads or traces, etc not speaking of solder quality\skills. The Zero could have had a string of faulty dacs manufactured. Who knows? But the barrage of mods being done by everyone, clearly muddied the water (oxymoron intended)
wink.gif
How many "saved face" at the expensive of chipping away ZEROs name? I for one now openly admit (a few posts back) to being way to harsh toward the manufacturer before I had all the facts. For that I apologize. I'll end this long post by saying that looking back there was excitement for the original ZERO (much like the Compass is enjoying today). It and modding it was contagious. Nearly everyone rode the wave. Many of the less technically savvy simply went along with the masses. It wasn't until the honeymoon was over that some of these mods choices were looked at a bit more objectively. There are some here today who question aspects of those mods. I for one prefer stability. I would ask, does each modification (not only taken separately but collectively) add or take away from the stability of a product (known to have questionably thermal design and cheap soldering\joints etc). I don't believe many could show that their dac after modifications ran cooler and were more stable. I think SQ improvement is suspect as well. Placebo effect could be happening here. Mods discovered to have changed the sound characteristics is not necessary the same as improving on the sound. Besides how many newly proud mothers feel their offspring is ugly or would actually admit it.
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back