Tianyun Zero DAC - New 2009 Edition
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #166 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by wynshad12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what would this unit SQ be like using headphones with say 250--600 ohm's such as beyerdynamics senn 600,650 and so on
through the headphone out... @G~mann @Lao any thoughts on that idea
Wyn.

well, I can't tell much about it since it is the first headamp I use... I can tell you it is ok, but I was expecting more improvements compared to the build-in audio. I wish I'd have a separate amp to use the RCA out and compare it.

lao

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #167 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by WLC-1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also like to know the difference between the OPA2406 and OPA627, and why both versions of the Zero are offered on eBay for the same price.
smily_headphones1.gif

WLC-1989,

I don't believe the 09 ZERO with identical specs are the same price. But the OPA2406 with USB is the same price as the OPA627 without USB.

G~mann

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #168 of 336
Ah that would explain it. What sort of improvement would the OPA627 offer over the OPA2406?

#EDIT#

I just checked eBay, and it seems both the OPA627 and OPA2406 versions are USB, Zero 09s. Both are the same price. Any ideas why they would be offering the 627 for the same price if it is supposedly better?

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #169 of 336
I'd be careful of those opa627's. Bout 85% of the ones sold on ebay are confirmed to be counterfeit, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the manufacturer/distributor knowingly or unknowingly landed a bunch of them to use as well. For some reason.. I don't think they purchased it off Digikey or directly from TI, considering it's about 1/3 the price of the entire unit.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #170 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same price?

strange....

I've always seen a (little) difference between the 2 versions
ph34r.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #171 of 336
NEW Edifier Hall HA11 Headphone Amplifier @ 5532 Design

(this is another one of snow_48 EBay seller effort) it looks like the creek obh-11 in gold colour and a little twist!....... i was just curious! has anyone seen this ?Wyn

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #172 of 336
Jul 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #174 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by WLC-1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my dilemma. If we put the Compass aside for a moment, and consider these 3 in a more sensible price range:

Zero '09
Pico
Xonar ST/X

Does the Zero, as a dedicated desktop DAC/amp stand out as the best choice in terms of SQ? I am more keen to get an external device, though not at the expense of possible sound quality. Does anyone here have experience of the Xonar ST/X and the Zero?

Any comments are appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

I just received the Xonar Essence STX today. I've only used the headphone amp so far. I simply love the sound. I swapped the 2114Ds with the 49720s opamps in the headphone amp. I've heard that the 49720 require a bit of burn-in but they sound great so far. The sound is very clear, detailed. Bass tight. Although I would not describe the sound as warm. It's more like neutral but this could be because of the phones I'm using. They are the Senn HD 280 Pros. They do not sound harsh like they do with the 0404 usb. Just very defined with great separation. I am very pleased so far. It's late right now, I will have to try the main analog and dd 7.1 outs during decent hours although once I complete my other pc setup I will be using this card primarily as for headphone and 2.1 computer speaker outs. I've only listened to a dozen songs from 3 albums so far. As the souncard continues to burn-in and the newness and excitement of this recent purchase wears off maybe I will have a more objective outlook.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #175 of 336
Never get opa627/637 off ebay even if it is priced close to retail price, way too many counterfeits and ebay protects those sellers. Get it off digikey or newark. I got ten opa637's and tested them as counterfeit then asked ebay if I could send it to the manufacturer for testing and other things to verify they were counterfeit and ebay outright refused to remove the counterfeits sold by a seller no matter what I tried.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #176 of 336
My Zero '09 (with OPA627 + USB) has burned in for about 50 hours (over S/PDIF) now. First listening impressions (Wadia 170i Transport + Senns HD650) are not that favourable.

When I increase the gain to the point where my headphones are adequately driven and the volume level is satisfactory (i.e. normal listening levels; I have normal hearing for a 37-year old and am no SPL or bass head), the noise level is quite noticeable, making the music emerge from a white-ish rather than black background. This is definately a function of gain and kicks in j-u-s-t at the volume point where the HD650's (300 ohm) are coming alive (bummer!), at least to these ears.

But even more seriously, I think the amp is distorting at this level, at least on the dynamic peaks. However, I need to listen a bit more (than the quick listen I had before rushing off to work this morning) before I can say (conclusively) that this is the case.

EDIT: Back home from work and have had another quick listen (30 min). The distorsion is less obvious now. I will need to check everything (connections etc + more various tracks) before I can attribute this to the amp.

I should mention that I run both the Wadia and the Zero through a PS Audio Duet. S/PDIF cable is Stereovox XV2. HD650 not recabled. All gear (except for the Zero) well burnt-in.

I wonder if this is a symptom of the manufacturer using counterfeit OPA627's. I think I have some OPA627's lying around (that I have bought from a reputable dealer) that I could try perhaps. I doubt this is the reason however. If I were to try only one of the discrete OP-amps (Earth, Moon, Sun), which one would be your recommendation (with the HD650)? This will be a second HP system so I will not fool around with a lot of OP-amp rolling or spend any more money on it really...

I will also try with different headphones (Shure 530, Koss Porta Pro, AKG K1000, and soon, HD800) to see how they interact with the amp.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #177 of 336
Thanks for the replies, guys! I look forward to hearing how your STX burns in, G~Mann, and I would appreciate it if you would try the OPA627s you have, NiToNi. If there's a difference, I think we can all rest assured that they are selling fakes.
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #178 of 336
No I don't think that is a fair conclusion at this stage. Someone (like haloxt) need to check that out with proper equipment. I can only make a swap (later) for what I know are genuine OPA627's.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #180 of 336
I've just replace the op amps of my Zero DAC '09....
smily_headphones1.gif

I've put 1 LT1469 in place of the (surely fake) dual OPA627AU in the DAC board and I've put 2x LME49860 in place of the 2x LT1364 of the Headphone board.

I've pushed the power button and...... It's really great !!
k701smile.gif
the sound is better defined and very detailed. very different than the first config !!!!
bass is here but they're not agressive or boomy, it sounds warm and clear at any frequency !!!
a really great improvement for me !!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back