Thunderpants vs HD650 (stock or otherwise)
Mar 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, I am glad that I brought this up.
smily_headphones1.gif

At this point of time, I think I kinda gave up on the HD650 unless I have too much cash to spare, since if all went well, I'll have the HE-500 shipped to me at the end of the day.
However on the Thunderpants, I would consider turning my T50RP into one. One of the reason that I was hesitant is because there is something that bugs me on the stock T50RP, that is it has poor dynamic, it tend to push the loud and the soft at similar volume, but this property also pushes the more subtle sound to be louder and more obvious. The dynamic is so compressed that it isn't subtle, I have not heard this in any headphone and I find it peculiar. Do you find the Thunderpants having such tendency?
So in short, are you saying that the HD650 is more transparent and detailed while the Thunderpants is a warm, punchy and fun sounding?
Thanks again. :)

The Sony MDR-V6's do the same, used to own them. Sometime lower volume tones were exaggerated, and forward tones were recessed, very peculiar.
If you want to mod your T50RP's I could lead you in a direction, but joelpearece is much more experience than me.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #18 of 25
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did hang out in the T50RP mod thread for a while, judging from what I see, it seemed that most people there have little understanding of acoustic treatment in general, and basically just doing random stuffs with plasticine, foam and the like.

And despite shooting in the dark, some claim bombastic improvement with their mod, which frankly, I doubt very much. I believe those stuffs would make it sound different in bass, openness, frequency response, but I doubt if they would be able to make it sound more resolving or better than LCD2 and things like that.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #19 of 25
But the best part is you can mod it the way you like, according to sound quality. It's like a granite block, and you're sculpting a real person, you may not be able shape it exactly the same way as the real person, but you can make it the way you enjoy.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
And despite shooting in the dark, some claim bombastic improvement with their mod, which frankly, I doubt very much. I believe those stuffs would make it sound different in bass, openness, frequency response, but I doubt if they would be able to make it sound more resolving or better than LCD2 and things like that.

Modding the t50s does produce a very noticeable effect.  It can go from being an awful, low-fi can to being fantastic.  I tried a pair of Paradox mod t50s, and they were the most transparent, neutral cans I had ever heard.  Granted my experience is limited, but it was incredibly pure.  I also auditioned another pair of t50s which, to me, represented the bridge between the D7000 and LCD-2 signature/quality.  If they were open, I don't doubt they could approach the LCD-2s in quality.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #21 of 25
I don't doubt that modding can alter the sound significantly, and I believe modding it can remove its most significant shortcoming.

As mentioned, my greatest gripe with it is its lack of dynamic. Would modding the cup help with this? I am not sure. It is also what stops me from turning it into the Thunderpants. I am not sure if it would be worth it. My other concern is, to me it seems that it is not a very textured can, often it sounded like it is smoothed over. Not sure if it is because I am too used to the dynamic driver property, I find HE-500 and LCD-2 exhibit similar property, albeit much less.

I find your comment on the Paradox interesting, however too bad it is so far practically secret.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
As mentioned, my greatest gripe with it is its lack of dynamic. Would modding the cup help with this? I am not sure. It is also what stops me from turning it into the Thunderpants. I am not sure if it would be worth it. My other concern is, to me it seems that it is not a very textured can, often it sounded like it is smoothed over. Not sure if it is because I am too used to the dynamic driver property, I find HE-500 and LCD-2 exhibit similar property, albeit much less.

I would have to ask the owner of the t50s which mod it was, but there's a more recent and very popular mod scheme that gives them amazing dynamics and texture.  Not to the level of a properly amp'd and sourced LCD-2, but very good.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
 I would have to ask the owner of the t50s which mod it was, but there's a more recent and very popular mod scheme that gives them amazing dynamics and texture.  Not to the level of a properly amp'd and sourced LCD-2, but very good.

When you get the owner, please do tell me, unless it's LFF, he's going to carry his paradox's to his grave!

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 25
@ OP, Calling the T50RP punchy and fun but also lacking in dynamics make no sense. . . 

Mine were lacking in punch and dynamics (essentially the same thing) until I opened up the vents. Reading a physics textbook I learned dynamics is all about airflow, which seems counterintuitive.

They still aren't as dynamic as the HD 650's though, nor as detailed, nor anywhere near the same in sound stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back