Thunderpants vs Hd650, Dt880, K701
Dec 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

logscool

Head-Fier
I don't know if a thread like this already exists but I have been unable to find one while searching. I am considering DIYing a thunderpants from one of smeggy's kits. but was wondering how there performance compares to headphones that can be had for around $300 (including used sets in good condition). I know Jude and Tyll both reported that the highs of the thunderpants don't quite compare to top flight $1000+ headphones, but how do they compare to lower end open headphones?

Detail and clarity is one of the most important factors to me but balance and being smooth are also important as well as of course sound-stage and space. Do the thunderpants match or surpass the detail of these headphones? How does their sound compare?

I know that the thunderpants are closed while these others are open but I do not mind as I already have a set of SRH 440 for closed use.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 18
Don't worry i look for the same as you and a bit more and i am no expert at how things should sound pefectly.

The t50rp sounds very detailed regarding its treble it has a mid bass bump and the bass is okay.

Clarity the way i view this is the same as phones like the dt 48 akg 701 but it is a natural phone and the way the sound arrives to your ear is different as it suits laid back recordings/virtual music and i actually like that in this t50rp because of this, the clarity seems more forward along with the lows mids highs everything.

For me i pick the t50rp over those other headphones but it is a tough call and comes down to your tastes, i do somehow believe that this headphone can compete with headphones costing 500 but not all the time does cost determine how good a headphone is although it is logical.

They sound smooth as well.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 18
When you say the t50rp are you referring to a stock t50rp or a modified t50rp made into a thunderpants? Also if ir it is modified did you fully DIY it, make it from a kit, or buy it ready-made from smeggy? Could you maybe elaborate on how their sound signature compares to that of the other headphones I mentioned earlier.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 18
i don't know what they're talking about but the t50rp has some of the best top and air frequencies when properly dampened. they have the speed to give complete realism to hi-hats,cymbals and if your into it,bells. they also have detailed,fast bass and sub-bass but demand a proper seal to reach the sub-bass territory. i never had an experience with the ''thunderpants'' but a properly modded t50rp can give you great clarity,detail,speed and extension. best part i find on mine is the clarity and detail in the midrange and it's top frequency speed. hard getting a headphone to have speed on top.

it's overall hard to say how your thunderpants will sound since they'll be modified to your liking. that's the wonderful thing with the planer drivers in the t50's is it can be tuned the way you want to. the driver itself is very good and transparent. the dampening and seal will give you the biggest effect on the sound you want. if your willing to DIY i say go for the kit cause in overall performance the t50rp is top compared to what you listed,but that's of course matter of preferences.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 18
I don't think the either the stock or modded comes close to the DT880. Personally the T50rp sounded like a $70 headphone, modded with dampening, felt removal etc it still sounded like a $70 headphone. I haven't heard the Thunderpant so it could be much better, however based on the stock/modded sound of the T50rp I'm not interested in hearing one.

If you want detail and clarity pick up a Sony SA5000. If you want a cheap headphone to play Barbie with buy a T50rp.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 18
Well these are stock and they sound good.

Personally i prefer the t50rp and if you want to knock it down join that modding thread about it.

I can't seem to pinpoint what extra details are like but then i still prefer the way the t50rp sounds i have not found anything else that sounds exactly like the t50rp, if i use other headphones i would go on another buying spree but at the moment the t50rp stops me from doing that, i find little differences and some bigger ones in all headphones but varying sq they still sound the same regarding where the sound is comeing from.

Imo these beat my other headphones for gaming your ability to pinpoint sound is better because it has a bigger sound circle then the dt880 prehaps due to the ortho drivers with other headphones it is more smaller to the point it isn't as easy actually i am not a person who analysing music from a headphone i just enjoy them.

Graphic this comment calling it a cheap headphone is somehow harsh although true it offers bang for buck and punchs above it's price tag.

What do you think about spwilds comments on that modding thread the sq is i think on par with the k701 dt 880, actually.

Imo i would go on a massive buying spree without the t50rp, i want a headphone that gets my attention alot more, i can feel when it is loud a straining sound on the eardrum although it does not damage the eardrums that is a sign to me why i use these headphones and my other ones do not do this when at the same sound volume.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 18
Detail and clarity pretty much limits you to the Beyer DT880 and AKG K701, I've never heard the thunderpants but the HD650 won't do detail and clarity to the same degree the AKG and Beyer will.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Detail and clarity pretty much limits you to the Beyer DT880 and AKG K701, I've never heard the thunderpants but the HD650 won't do detail and clarity to the same degree the AKG and Beyer will.

Clarity I'd argue that the hd650 does better but detail the k701 wins out on. But also you need to think of what that means, it can sound fatiquing and sometimes sibilant. I'd say that the dt880 is a nice medium in that it still sounds very neutral but isn't as piercing as the k701 can be.

Here's a quick breakdown of my impressions between the two:

K701:

-massive Soundstage (some argue it's unnatural and I agree to an extent)
-extended treble, analytical detail (can be piercing)
-neutral sounding response
-tight bass and fantastic extension
-power hungry, difficult to drive (you better have a good source)
-some vocals can sound nasally
-better instrument separation
-look damn sexy imo
-Best headphone's I've heard for pure acoustic & live instrumental

DT880:

-more forward soundstage, slightly worse instrument separation
-softest earpads you will ever feel
-slightly less extended treble, still analytical but the k701 wins out here
-vocals & mids hold more weight and sound more natural
-slightly more bass quantity but less extension
-power hungry depending on which model, yet still easier to drive
-Comfier more enjoyable yet still neutral headphones that I can listen to a broader range of music on

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

Clarity I'd argue that the hd650 does better but detail the k701 wins out on. But also you need to think of what that means, it can sound fatiquing and sometimes sibilant. I'd say that the dt880 is a nice medium in that it still sounds very neutral but isn't as piercing as the k701 can be.

Here's a quick breakdown of my impressions between the two:

K701:

-look damn sexy imo

DT880:

-Comfier more enjoyable yet still neutral headphones that I can listen to a broader range of music on

Great summary, I've actually found the DT880 to be more bright than the AKG K702 (I had) but the AKG K702 was never sibilant for me. To OP, you may want to check out Headfonia's review of the three. Great read for someone considering the three.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for all of the info on the differences between k701, dt880, and hd650 I think the dt880 would be my top choice out of those.

My big question is how does the thunderpants compare to headphones in this price range as far as detail as well as other aspects of their sound signature (pros and cons)?

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
K701:

-look damn sexy imo

DT880:

With a difference of opinion it's always hard to discern one headphone from another. I'd consider most of these summaries accurate however I find the DT880/600 to extend better in both treble and bass, the only thing the K701 excels at is the vast soundstage... although it's so large it's like listening to music in a cave at times. I would also consider the DT880/600 much harder to drive than the K701, I'd estimate a good 50% of members here haven't heard them to there full potential.

With that said op, if you're not willing to pair them with a good tube amp, another $300 expense or so I wouldn't bother with these cans. An ATH-AD900 is somewhat similar and much easier to drive, an AD900 will sound better than an under powered DT880.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 18
I have only owned the 250 ohm version, i probably should have mentioned that. I also never listened to either on anything other than my old e7/e9.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 18
I should also mention that my current amp is an objective 2 DIY amp. I am thinking about also building a cavalli CTH, mainly because I have heard it goes well with the thunderpants.

However if I end up going with a dt880 or something else I would certainly look at other amps.

However I do think I would still end up using it with my current O2 for some time, which technically has enough power to drive the HE-6 (haven't heard any reviews of the O2 paired with power hungry phones yet though).

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 18
I don't think the either the stock or modded comes close to the DT880. Personally the T50rp sounded like a $70 headphone, modded with dampening, felt removal etc it still sounded like a $70 headphone. I haven't heard the Thunderpant so it could be much better, however based on the stock/modded sound of the T50rp I'm not interested in hearing one.

If you want detail and clarity pick up a Sony SA5000. If you want a cheap headphone to play Barbie with buy a T50rp.

using wrong materials then? cause the fostex has insane extension at both ends and has speed in the top and air regions and great clarity.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 18
Does anyone know or have any ideas about if the O2 as an amp will keep these headphones from their full potential. Would it work well for the DT880/600? What about the thunderpants?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back