Thumpasorous People's FUNK appreciation thread!
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #61 of 431
Kinda funny that I started this thread and as of this post I havent heard of %95 of the artists mentioned. I think Ya'll are too old!
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #67 of 431
'Soul Pride: The Instrumentals (1960-1969)' by James Brown & The JB's.
'Funkify Your Live: The Meters Anthology' by The Meters.
'James Brown's Funky People' by James Brown & contemporaries, all parts!
African Funk?
Isaac Hayes
Willy Hutch
Barry White?
George Clinton's (co-)works
Kool & The Gang

Just a short list of stuff I have to get.

Br777, I'm 21 years young and I prefer older music for a lot of today's music doesn't get to me.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #68 of 431
don't worry, I'm <35 and ever since I got intested in music(around 11 or so), nothing else mattered to me than that old crumy vinyl funkay sound
biggrin.gif

nowadays music is just completely meaningless...anyone's able to use a sampler and put a sexy b**** whose voice goes through Antares Autotune
evil_smiley.gif

of course you should own the 3 "JB's funky ppl" compilations and listen to them until you know the lyrics by heart
biggrin.gif

there's also a lot of remastered editions from JB's, where they simply took the original master tapes, and sometimes even added false starts/B versions!:
Amazon.com: Cold Sweat (False Start & Studio Dialogue): James Brown
Amazon.com: Make It Funky/The Big Payback: 1971-1975
Amazon.com: Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang: James Brown
Amazon.com: The CD of JB: James Brown: Music
Amazon.com: The CD of JB II: James Brown: Music
Quote:

I own more than 3,000 CD's and LP's, and I consider CD of JB II to be among the top ten best albums of my entire collection.

because many record companies are lazy, and just use N'th generation tapes to master CD's....but thankfully, nowadays we are well aware of this! and yes a properly mastered/ditherered original mastertape always sounds AMAZING.

Stax has a huge serie of this, 24bit dithered/digipack, from the original mastertapes: Amazon.com: Remember Me: Otis Redding
Quote:

The only word for it is orgasmic.

I've got quite a lot of records in that serie...they're all so friggin'good!

funk is even better when it's got a killer remastered sound! to be honest, on that "country got soul vol.1" compilation, I get the feeling that all the singers are standing right in front of me...the mastering engineer did know wth he was doing! not just using a loudness maximizer at 0dB
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #69 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't worry, I'm <35 and ever since I got intested in music(around 11 or so), nothing else mattered to me than that old crumy vinyl funkay sound
biggrin.gif

meticulize over every amp, opamp, headphone, equalizer, crossfeed etc known to man, build the perfect rig, and then find the oldest, dirtiest, worst sounding recordings possible - only an audiophile!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #70 of 431
well, there's a far cry between vinyl on a $30 consumer turntable and top of the line cartridges + top notch remastering...many of the compilations I mentioned use 45rpm 7" sources, and you have yet to hear a single crackle or pop
evil_smiley.gif

and same goes for all those remasters made from the original master tapes...you have yet to hear a single hint of hiss or crackle.

analog sounds good, it just does! why did Portshead become so famous? coz when everyone went for uber-clinical lifeless sound, they showed up w/ a nasty distorted 70's minded sound..that just blows you away.

play your music w/ killer opamps like LT1028ACN8/AD797BR/Burson V2, and become a believer...it's about time you crack open that DAC of yours anyway
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #71 of 431
Mar 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #72 of 431
This is getting a bit hip hop but when Herbie brought out Rockit I the early 80's I saw it and love it or hate it, was a big breakthrough for anyone that saw it at that time. The guy is a legend.

This was a jazz/rap music/video like an explosion going off into your average folks front room TV set before most people knew what the concept of hip hop, scratching, sampling was. (Except for 'cough' dare I say it 'buffalo girls' by Malcom Maclaren.). The vidro was also unique (for the day) in that it didn't actually feature the artist.

BTW. Africa Bambaata had the 'electro' funk
It is electro hip hop, but it still has the funk, again it may not seem like it now, but this was totally unique when it came out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_vLzsG2TCU
bambaataa-afrika-soul-sonic-force-47-l.jpg

A lot of early hip hop had the funk breakbeats.

Take Lafayette Afro Rock Band song 'Darkest night', I posted earlier this was released practically unknown in 75. The sax/trumpet breakbeats were sampled on the following (from wiki)
"Show 'Em Whatcha Got" by Public Enemy (1988)[8]
"Soul Food" by Tuff Crew (1989)[4]
"Justa Lil' Dope" by Masters at Work (1991)
"Back to the Hotel" by N2Deep (1992)
"Rump Shaker by Wreckx-n-Effect (1992)[14]
"You Can't See What I See" by Heavy D & the Boyz (1996)
"Freestyle Noize" by Freestylers (1998)
"Show Me What You Got" by Jay-Z (2006)[15]

The list is endless but this is just an example

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #74 of 431
you mean like we didn't name enough of them already?
ksc75smile.gif

if you want a crash course, try the "Sound of Funk" compilations I mentioned in the first page...everything that's funky on the "GoldMine Soul Supply" kicks ***, and yes they have released tons of compilations! basically they have a huge warehouse full of 7" in UK, and just rip them to CD when they're bored.

there's 3 volumes of this one: Dusty Groove - Various: Funk Project Vol 2 -- How Good Is Good?
Quote:

A motherlode of funky tracks -- featuring many that we've never ever heard before, and that's saying a lot! The selection on the set is one of the most solid we've seen in years

if this site says that they were blown away, you can very much trust'em
wink.gif

I also loooooooove track #1 on this goldmine compilation, it feels like I always knew it...maybe from a past life
biggrin.gif

Amazon.com: Funk Superbowl: Super Heavyweight Funk Classics: Various Artists: Music

and they have many more like:
Rare Funk Liberation
This Funky Thing
Tryin' To Make Ends Meet
Fantastic Funk

and they've also released a lot of killer northern soul...it's soul w/ a tiny bit of funk, there's some amazing tracks too!
agreed.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back