Thumpasorous People's FUNK appreciation thread!
Mar 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #47 of 431
oh c'mon, I didn't even start on japanese funk: osaka monaurail marva whitney - Google Search

this band's goal is to play exactly like the original JB's! they've made many mind blowing JB covers("mind power") and also toured quite a lot w/ Marva Whitney(JB's female alter-ego).

too bad she can't sing anymore....their studio album is fantastic, you would think that it was recorded w/ the JB's in the 70's
eek.gif

but thank you Dr "punch-in", coz she prolly overdubbed it zillion times..their live album is desastrous, she's out of breath in every sentence..it's highly irritating
frown.gif

OTOH, she already had a hard time singing those songs in the 70's, so being quite a bit older now doesn't help
redface.gif

anyway, her "it's my thing" LP(produced by the godfather) is as good as it gets! and she did a "live at the apollo" album(I posted the cover in the previous pages) w/ JB, it's just top notch.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #49 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to make a new list for Funk to buy in the future, this thread will really hurt my wallet...

There ought to be a giant disclaimer on the fromt page of this site that reads:

Warning: all those who enter this site will shortly find themselves spending all of their money on various audiophile related equipment and music, selling everything that isnt nailed down in order to buy more, and shortly thereafter selling all of that to upgrade to something even better, "no i wont, i have self control" "oh yes, you will" Muwah ha ha ha ha!
-Head-FI
wink.gif
wink.gif

P.S. : Can't get enough of that FUNK FUNK FUNK!

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #50 of 431
I could be worse, lately my AKG K240 DF made me realize it replaces almost all of my headphones. I should test it more but it handles Bootsy Collins' bass lines as if it never did otherwise.

First some Joe Tex and Laurent Garnier while resisting many other good albums...

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #51 of 431
Mar 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #54 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh yes, the nigerian JB! w/ his hypnotic beats
biggrin.gif

OTOH, all his songs sound pretty much the same to me, but the recipe is top notch anyway! I love this album from one of his sons, "Master plan" sounds so friggin' good:

That's too bad: For me (and apparently, the folks who've been packing the theater for the new Fela bio-play on Broadway), it's about the music of the originals. For the record, I find Fela's son's music facile but underwhelming.

The mission, for those who choose to accept it:

Fela-best.jpg

The Best Best of Fela Kuti

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #56 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's too bad: For me (and apparently, the folks who've been packing the theater for the new Fela bio-play on Broadway), it's about the music of the originals. For the record, I find Fela's son's music facile but underwhelming.

true, but Femi's music to me is really some of the best easy listening "silly head nodding" afro-beat, "Master Plan" is just perfect...7 mins of massive afro beat! he's got such a great voice, the lyrics are funny, the sax melody is awesome...and the usual Kuti background vocals...to me he's done a very impressive spin off from his father's legacy.

"Truth Don Die" from him is also really cool, one of the guitars sounds holographic around the middle of the song...it's one of my test songs for SS.

and Femi's work is still a far cry from the junk Marley's sons have been doing..

yes, his dad's recipe is more hypnotic...20 mins of the same beat, you need to be high as hell and listen to it very loud I guess ^^

but he was fighting for politic power as I understand it, so it feels a bit like brain washing to me
redface.gif

the guy in my avatar also did a fantastic funk masterpiece: Dusty Groove - Serge Gainsbourg: Histoire De Melody Nelson

gainsb_serg_histoired_101b.jpg

it's been sampled by Massive Attack, Beck and many hip hop ppl....very very convincing!

what's amazing w/ Gainsbourg is that he was such a genius that he could compose any kind of music to perfection...he did two Reggae albums and recorded them in Kingston w/ Sly & Robbie, and he blew them away because he had done all the arrangments already...usually foreigners came to their island w/ a melody and that's pretty much it. IMHO, one of the most gifted french composers from the 20th century. He's up there w/ JB and Lee Scratch Perry
trofub.gif

one of the fundamental rules of chess is that "you can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"...and the 3 aforementioned ppl are exactly that, 3 true trends creators.

w/o JB, funk/hip-hop wouldn't really exist...w/o Lee Perry, maybe Bob Marley wouldn't even be famous and clearly electronic music wouldn't be what it is now(Dub Style!), and Gainsbourg's legacy is audible in many different styles nowadays(especially all those french singers who make lame attempts at copying him
rolleyes.gif
)

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #59 of 431
Leeperry,

could you please give me a list of Funk essentials? I'm not referring to consumer albums but albums for those into deep Funk and its origins. The record fair on the 10th of April in Utrecht might offer me some chances. I'm serious for I will buy the CDs.

This thread is already tempting me enough.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #60 of 431
hehe, well it's not too easy tbh...I've been hoarding 70's heavy funk/roots & dub reggae records for almost 20 years now...good thing noone created a reggae thread ^^

reggae when not made in Kingston hardly ever works, but funk does..wherever it's been made! there's many compilations around, that are all equally as good IMHO...as the premium media for funk is a 45rpm record pressed to 100 copies, that some fellas would be kind enough to locate and put on CD for you.
if you listen to all the records discussed in this thread already, you'll feel gooood!
images

revenge_of_mr._mopoji.jpeg

Amazon.com: Revenge of Mister Mopoji: Original Soundtrack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back