Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Mar 22, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #151 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN,

The runtime is for 8610 isn't it? I own Govibe v3 that I use with 8066AR. The battery drain was significant with 8066 compared to 8620 on that amp.

I got mine on wednesday, other than the fact that the lettering on the front face 'Pow' the w is missing already which was kind of disappointing.

Haven't had much time to listen with a tooth infection, fever and a root canal done over the past week. But the little time I spent, I agree that this amp is really good. I am going to keep the stock opamp for some time as it sounds pretty good to me. I hope to spend more time later next week.

Mine is a v3 with push buttons. I kind of like the old switch type though
biggrin.gif
( old school)

Aaah. Congrats on your new toy buddy. And get well soon. In the mean while cook that MB-E+ of yours to perfection and she will blew your brains away once the magical 400 hours have passed.

Yes the AD8066AR and AD8065AR are power hungry. My modded STAX SRM-001 MK2 runs on them and the battery drain was like TWO hours max for a pair of 3.6V Ultrafire Li-ions. I have to use a 30'000 mAH 5V Li-ions to sate them hungry STAX LOL!

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #153 of 384
Good to hear the MiniBox-E+ is getting all this love! IMO it is a wonderful sounding amp that sells for a very reasonable price. I have loaned my old style unit to a friend w/ 4 other amps and he loves it. As far as battery life I swear I get over 20 hours of use w/ the AD8610, will verify upon the amp's return.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #154 of 384
Well, here's a update on the battery life. I got 16 hours with the bass and Ptos off, volume at 4 with PFEs. This is with the AD8065 though, so maybe this opamp really drains the battery compared to stock. I'll pop in the stock OP8610 and see if it lasts much longer, then its the AD797's turn. For 5 hours of charging, 16 hours play doesn't seem like a whole lot. If there's a really large difference in battery life with the OP8610 vs AD8065, I may just stick with stock
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #155 of 384
Ricey20,

It is the quality not the quantity of enjoyment
biggrin.gif
. 16 hours seems pretty reasonable. It will last a whole week for me. Family and work take most of the time for now.

the amp has been running since 2.30 PM today. I'll let you know how long it lasts with the stock opamp.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #156 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ricey20,

It is the quality not the quantity of enjoyment
biggrin.gif
. 16 hours seems pretty reasonable. It will last a whole week for me. Family and work take most of the time for now.

the amp has been running since 2.30 PM today. I'll let you know how long it lasts with the stock opamp.

lol maybe. I'm just curious how big the difference is between the stock and 8065. We'll see
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #157 of 384
Quick update...

25 hours and still going strong.... using stock opamps bass on / ptos off volume is set at 2 plenty loud for Westone 3's

Mar 23, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #158 of 384
I believe my replacement MBE+ is shipping today or tomorrow. Really anxious to get this new one. Hope the battery issue is fixed once and for all. My guess is I will get the pushbutton version. Not much we can do about that. Looking forward to trying it our with the Westone 3s again and the IE8s as well.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #159 of 384
It lasted 27 hours for stock opamp with bass on. This works well for me. I only hope the charging does not become an issue.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #163 of 384
dfkt,

Does your minibox run longer than the posted hours? I just got mine so I guess it should a few cycles for the Li-ion to work as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back