Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Feb 1, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #91 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN,
I think I am ready to move on from my beloved supermini. Of late, it is picking up distortions ( external sources) easily. I thought it was the iPoop that was causing the problem but other amps seem to be alright. I may send it back to Dr.xin later.

Yeah I agree with you. Even my SuperMini-IV 2008 is very sensitive to RF signals that I have to place my mobile phones away into the back pocket when the SuperMini-IV was in the front ones. Please do tell us when your MiniBox-E+ arrives. I'd like to know which model the maker settled for (the lever type or the push knobs)

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #92 of 384
Based on your experience w/ the push button model and the AD797 I will say the lever type is best!
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #93 of 384
Interesting issue I just recalled.

I read an old post long ago that the SR-71 is basically a Mint (with AD8610 + BUF634) without the jung multiloop. mrarroyo thinks there's a difference to the MiniBoxE+? Cool.

The only thing slightly better about the SR71 is the separate supply (pseudo dual mono, not really dual mono as the ground is still shared), but mrarroyo thinks the Minibox is better.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #94 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting issue I just recalled.

I read an old post long ago that the SR-71 is basically a Mint (with AD8610 + BUF634) without the jung multiloop. mrarroyo thinks there's a difference to the MiniBoxE+? Cool.

The only thing slightly better about the SR71 is the separate supply (pseudo dual mono, not really dual mono as the ground is still shared), but mrarroyo thinks the Minibox is better.

We all hear differently, what I like may sound like junk to another and viceversa. But yes I love the sound out of the MiniBox-E+ just a bit more than the SR71. But I keep my SR71 which is built like a tank and Ray provides one of the best services in the industry.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #95 of 384
mrarroyo, since the AD797 didn't work out for my MiniBox-E+, I returned them and got myself a pair of AD8065 AR.

* I think I may have hit the jackpot combo with this pair of opamps - impossible as it may sound, those opamps actually brought the MiniBox-E+ to another level......

More info on this once I have further listening trials.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #96 of 384
Started his hearted any civilly. So me by marianne admitted speaking. Men bred fine call ask. Cease one miles truth day above seven. Suspicion sportsmen provision suffering mrs saw engrossed something. Snug soon he on plan in be dine some.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #97 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN, have you tried full-sized cans on the MiniBoxE+? I plugged in the AD2000s I gave to my dad, and it made everything sound extremely echo-ey, like I'm listening to a bad eq setting. I adjusted all the settings, PtoS on/off, Bass on/off... but it just sounds really bad. Makes me wonder if the amp is only good for ER4s. Everything else may be a hit or miss.

Yes I have tried my MiniBox-E+ with Senn HD415, KSC-75 and a few others. No echoey effects. I will only turn on bass boost for ER-4S. I noticed that you have RS-1 and another ATH, how do they sound? and I know mrarroyo have used the MiniBox-E+ with lots of full sized cans with superb results.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #98 of 384
View fine me gone this name an rank. Compact greater and demands mrs the parlors. Park be fine easy am size away. Him and fine bred knew. At of hardly sister favour. As society explain country raising weather of. Sentiments nor everything off out uncommonly partiality bed.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #99 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I know mrarroyo have used the MiniBox-E+ with lots of full sized cans with superb results.

You are correct! The MiniBox-E+ can drive the Ultrasone PROline 2500, HFI-780, RS-1, and ESW9 w/ no problem.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #100 of 384
You guys are killing me. I want to hear this amp.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #102 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source is my zero dac, and I A/B compared it to the head-amp of the zero:

After burn in of about 80 hours with this minibox e+, I can say for sure that these are no good with the ATH-AD2000. It makes everything sound so stifled and artificial in addition to somewhat echoey, with all the various combinations of possible settings (on/off). I wonder why this is?

With the ATH-ESW10JPN that are un-burned in yet, the minibox e+ also sounds not as good as the headamp from the zero dac. with bass boost off, and PtoS off, for Mr. Brightside the crash cymbals sound like it came from a toy drumset. Very artificial and unrealistic; Turned on bass boost: bass is overwhelming and bloated. very loose, and difficult to listen to.

With my RS-1s, very similar to above.

When I switch back to the Zero DAC headamp, I feel a sigh of relief that my headphones aren't broken. I know that EFN recommended 500 hours burn in, but they can't sound THAT bad out of the box can they? Really feels like an immense downgrade. I do'nt think it is my source either. I mean, I am using Monster RCA --> 3.5mm connectors that I found lying around, could this be the problem? I hope not. Otherwise, I might want to return or sell these.

Sounds like a konked unit to me. If you can wait for a few days, I will write another comprehensive review involving MiniBox-E+ and Lisa III. There's no way a MiniBox-E+ would sound like what you have described - I recommend that you contact Fang (Nankai) and ask him for a swap.

Good luck

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #103 of 384
EFN,

Wondering where you got the AD8065 AR. Was it mounted on a browndog or did you have to solder it yourself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo, since the AD797 didn't work out for my MiniBox-E+, I returned them and got myself a pair of AD8065 AR.

* I think I may have hit the jackpot combo with this pair of opamps - impossible as it may sound, those opamps actually brought the MiniBox-E+ to another level......

More info on this once I have further listening trials.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #104 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN,

Wondering where you got the AD8065 AR. Was it mounted on a browndog or did you have to solder it yourself?

Unfortunately yes. AD8065AR is a SMD type opamp and it need to be soldered to the 8 Dip adapter to work with the MiniBox-E+.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #105 of 384
How is the soundstage on this compared to other amps. I'm asking this because I want to know how it compares to other portable amps and EFN was using IEMs and I am using Sennheiser HD 555s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back