Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #136 of 1,485
Some photos:

20180830_123634-01.jpeg 20180830_124332-01.jpeg

20180830_124347-01.jpeg

^^ Nice selection of tips

20180830_125123-01.jpeg

^^ IER-M7 on the left, IER-M9 on the right. I like the finish on the IER-M9 better - matte black with a textured, sand-stone like finish. The carbon fiber face plate is also a nice touch.

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #137 of 1,485
I really hope that these are more comfortable than the z5. I love the z5 sound after I got a cable made for it, but it's a bit uncomfortable for me so I may sell it and get a ciem. I'm really torn right now. The cable and triple comforts tips makes my z5 sound incredible, but it's just not comfortable enough for me

I’ve found that with tripple comfort tips and running the cable over ear and then under chin it works fine for me and I can wear then for hours but naturally my ciem’s are more comfortable. Don’t know if there is a ciem that’ll give you the same sound as the Z5

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #139 of 1,485
Ooo how much I envy you. How is built quality? Will it sustain small drops on a hard floor?

Some photos:

^^ Nice selection of tips

^^ IER-M7 on the left, IER-M9 on the right. I like the finish on the IER-M9 better - matte black with a textured, sand-stone like finish. The carbon fiber face plate is also a nice touch.

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #140 of 1,485
I’ve found that with tripple comfort tips and running the cable over ear and then under chin it works fine for me and I can wear then for hours but naturally my ciem’s are more comfortable. Don’t know if there is a ciem that’ll give you the same sound as the Z5

Yep, that's the perfect setup for using the Z5 although I bounce between triple comfort and spiral dot depending on music and how lazy I am, the triple comfort tends to soak up ear oil and take a bit more effort to clean from time to time while you can clean the spiral dot easily.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #141 of 1,485
Ooo how much I envy you. How is built quality? Will it sustain small drops on a hard floor?

I am most definitely not the owner, but what I can tell about the M7 and M9 is that both feels very solid and can definitely sustain drops on a hard floor. Having tried the thing yesterday, it does feel like it was made to last really long

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #142 of 1,485
@nanaholic reported that they drive fine on low gain from his Wm1Z, he told me via Pm. To give an idea, currently I drive my XBA-Z5 on low gain volume 50-60/120. But maybe these IER-Z1R may need a bit more volume as they have two DD also it depends on sensitivity of the phone

Out from the WM1Z at low gain, I needed to turn it up to 90-100 for the Z1R in normal listening situations. I am sure I might need to go higher in a noisy environment.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #143 of 1,485
Some updates:

1. The ier z1r are being launched in IFA 2018.

2. The following video was posted in YouTube:

3. Pricing in the UK is £2,000: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/ier-z1r

Wondering why such a big gap in pricing between Hong Kong and the UK :triportsad:

Not sure why the additional luxury tax on the Z1R. I paid HKD13,990 for the Z1R which roughly translates to £1375.14, that's a huge 45% mark up. Madness.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #144 of 1,485
Not sure why the additional luxury tax on the Z1R. I paid HKD13,990 for the Z1R which roughly translates to £1375.14, that's a huge 45% mark up. Madness.

The Z1R iem is not out yet so how did you buy it ?

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #145 of 1,485
I got some short impressions on the M9:

What I heard yesterday was something that sounds tonally correct and flat. But unlike the dullness that is PP8, this one has quite a visceral impact on the lower ends paired with an impressive coherency from bottom to the top. It really feels like the whole setup is just 1 single DD instead of 5BA. Coupled with the impact of the bass it really delivers that impression very nicely.

Mids tonality is excellent and potrays all instrument as it is, without any flaws as far as I was allowed to audition it yesterday. Plays everything I throw in it really well. The decay is also on point and gives you an excellent airiness on the stage but quick and resolving enough that it doesn't turn muddy.

Treble was well extended and helps a lot in rendering almost all the microdetails. Hell, I even noticed new details with these pair when trying out with my songs. Sparkle is definitely there and it has an excellent amount of it.

Imaging was probably one of the best for a closed back, universal IEM. I would say the imaging king is still the EX1000 but this comes rather close to giving that feeling whilst giving you the isolation. Stage is decently wide and the M9 used it so god damn well. It doesn't have the height like what I experienced with my UE18+ 2nd gen but it has the width and doesn't sound unnaturally wide a-la Andromedas.

I would say that as a monitoring tool, these are an excellent IEM to have and at 1600SGD these are actually a steal. I would definitely have copped if I am financially more capable. Knowing Sony though, these will most likely still be in production few more years down the line and I hope by then I'm more capable of buying these.

Still, even if not, there's still the second hand M9s to consider down the line. For those more budget conscious, I think it is going to be a stellar purchase.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #146 of 1,485
The Z1R iem is not out yet so how did you buy it ?

I pre-ordered at the HK audio show, when it was first introduced to the public.

I've even joked with one of the Sony staff, that business must be pretty bad considering I was the 5th person to make a purchase at their booth after 2 full days since the show was opened to the public.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #147 of 1,485
Thought I'd chime in a bit as well since I managed to try the IER M7 today...
Its quite similar to the xba z5 tbh. Main differences are M7 has lesser sub bass than Z5 but M7 mid bass still punches bass hard if not as hard as the Z5. Then we have the vocals, can't really remember the key differences but I think M7 mids are just slightly more forward than Z5 partly because overall bass presentation on the M7 is lighter than the Z5 altough I think M7 upper mids are slightly more present but very very smooth. Treble sparkle wise I think Z5 is more sparkly and airy. Soundstage I believe goes to the Z5.

In short if you still want your bass go for the Z5, for a better all rounder but slightly more flat with bass boost signature, M7 is the way.

PS: Do take my impressions with a grain of salt as i'm writing this impressions hours after listening to them

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #149 of 1,485
Out from the WM1Z at low gain, I needed to turn it up to 90-100 for the Z1R in normal listening situations. I am sure I might need to go higher in a noisy environment.
No isse still i bet. maybe some high gain at 60-70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back