Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
May 10, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #1,231 of 1,485
Well, here we go. But like I asked, I don’t need extra equipment, right? The DAP and headphones are enough? Hope this is good.

You'll be fine, there's no reason for there to be a problem with Z1Rs and just a DAP. It's not as if DAPs have ridiculous output impedance and I doubt the M6 is built like those shoddy $10 MP3 players you see on Amazon.

May 10, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,232 of 1,485
I think I took a very odd approach. I sampled the IER-Z1R to my MDR-1AM2 for 45 minutes at 2 stores and was able to virtually match the sound signature of the Z1R to my 1AM2 using the EQ on my FiiO M6. The Z1R truly is phenomenal, but from what my ears could detect, there was hardly any difference in quality until AFTER I adjusted the FiiO EQ to match the sound signature to my liking.

I will still aim for these, but will have a side envelope to deposit money to build up the cash needed to buy these. The 219,000 yen asking price is a choker when I feel my 20,000 yen1AM2 headphones had me enjoying my music just as much. The Z1R does have amazing sound isolation, like it has Noise Cancelling kicked into full gear. So people can easily listen to it in loud in environments. Time to build the savings slowly but surely. But my 1AM2 will hold me tidy for the time being, a good while I think. Really glad I’m starting to understand this audiophile hobby bit by bit. Just wish I could get them for under $1,000 USD

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,233 of 1,485
Been listening to the M7 and they are quite a impressive IEM even compared to their older brothers.

Ok moving past the above thought id start a convo about a controversial topic being fitment which can relate to all three headphones. Just wanted to check and see how others fit theirs for the best sound and feel. I have tried a few different ways, seated closer to the outside with bigger tips, pushed right in with smaller tips but atm I seem to have settled on a mix and specific technique to help with fitment and sq. I have seen many different thought on how to fit them in the thread as well, people commenting pushing them as far in as possible but I find that does affect the bass for me and the sq sometimes which could be due to the seal.

So for me, I get them just seated in my ear, then pushing the connector into the proper gap against the side of my head and them manoeuvring the tip deeper to their natural position. Pushing them too far seems to work but can be a little uncomfortable, the seal is more finicky and sound quality can go down a little as I assume a few issues like the directional force of the sound and like any speaker it needs space to work better. I find the bass a bit better when they are arn't either too far out or in, but clearly you results may vary.

I was just interested to see if other people have different ways to seat them which I know is controversial as there isn't really any set way or directions to do it.
I've spent many many hours, days, weeks and months trying to figure out the fitment of my M9. I used the LL Sony Hybrids for months and the experience was finicky to say the least. Very inconsistent. Sometimes it sounded incredible and sometimes it sounded dull, narrow and lifeless. I eventually figured out they were too big. When I tried to figure out the smallest tip I could use to get a seal as deep as possible is when things started clicking for me. I eventually settled on MS and M. The thing is, with Sony Hybrids, I have to alternate between two different sizes like every other day to maintain a proper deep seal.

I also sorta came across a technique to consistently insert them. I pop them in like normal, then I take one hand and grab the tip top of my upper ear, (like where one would have a cartilage piercing) I pull up and towards the back of my head on this area, while doing this I take my free hand and push the M9 in almost as deep as it will go. Now if you're using a tip that's too big, you won't have a good experience with this method. Either you'll get the suction effect, where the tip has formed an airtight ear plug like seal, which sounds like ass, or the tip bore will push up against the inner walls of your ear canal, which will muffle the sound, and once again sound like ass. But if you use the smallest possible tip, coupled with this technique, you WILL have a wonderful experience.

I have also switched to a size M JVC SpiralDot++ tip and that has been wonderful for me. The stubbier, wider bore design of the JVC tip is perfect for deep insertion. This particular JVC tip has been a game changer for me and I'll never go back to Sony Hybrids. These tips are fantastic for me but I also paid nearly $40 for them...

May 11, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,234 of 1,485
Does anyone think it's possible to find the IER-Z1R for $1,000 USD in at least good condition?

May 11, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,235 of 1,485
Does anyone think it's possible to find the IER-Z1R for $1,000 USD in at least good condition?

possible, but extremely unlikely, given their prestige and popularity they will prbly hold their value relatively well, at most maybe 20-30% off

best of luck to you i hope u find good deal

May 11, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,236 of 1,485

Hmmm what do you mean by good condition, unfortunately I have been very careful with mine but the metal get so easily marked. Either micro scratches but just putting them down on stuff marked mine slightly which affected the shine (probably very minor but depends on your opinion, could probably polish it up but not worth the time and chance of possible damage caused). They used to come up for about $1600aud (so basically $1000usd) in the land of OZ regularly second hand (even were new that price at one point). So if you looking for a immaculate pair then probably not as from most other posts and my experience the shine just doesn't seem to last well enough (others may have a different experience) as I have definitely not abused mine and they have some marks. Also I cannot say how the second hand price has been affected in Australia as yet as no one seems to be selling theirs yet in the current climate. I know eBay is a bit more second hand then in Australia local as well though.

TLDR: If you willing to accept the micro scratching and normal wear and tear then probably only place would be local Australia second hand market.

May 11, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #1,237 of 1,485
Hmmm what do you mean by good condition, unfortunately I have been very careful with mine but the metal get so easily marked. Either micro scratches but just putting them down on stuff marked mine slightly which affected the shine (probably very minor but depends on your opinion, could probably polish it up but not worth the time and chance of possible damage caused). They used to come up for about $1600aud (so basically $1000usd) in the land of OZ regularly second hand (even were new that price at one point). So if you looking for a immaculate pair then probably not as from most other posts and my experience the shine just doesn't seem to last well enough (others may have a different experience) as I have definitely not abused mine and they have some marks. Also I cannot say how the second hand price has been affected in Australia as yet as no one seems to be selling theirs yet in the current climate. I know eBay is a bit more second hand then in Australia local as well though.

TLDR: If you willing to accept the micro scratching and normal wear and tear then probably only place would be local Australia second hand market.
Some scratches and signs of use. Just as long as they work and nothing is severely chipped off. Don’t expect mint condition. Not sure what OZ retailer would mail to Japan

May 11, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,238 of 1,485
One last post, still wondering what setup I would need to fully enjoy these. Just listening to the FiiO M6 brought me joy. Here’s hoping I don’t need Sony’s cheapest headphone amp while using the headphones to get sound that makes me happy

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,239 of 1,485
IER-Z1R sound pretty lifelike and big soundstage,but sometimes we muarsacrifoce a bit of SQ for better isolation as is the case of the M7. Which block train noise even when not deeply inserted
15942069315931665848774360280598.jpg

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,242 of 1,485
Finally got my ier z1r. I am thanking myself that I did manage to keep the m7 for daily commuting. I know z1r tends to be uncomfortable to some extend. I wish it had the comfort like m7/m9. i tried it before. I liked the sound so much that I ended up buying one for me. it felt like, the comfort it totally eartip depended, at least to me. so I piled up a lot of tips like final e series, m7's black hybrid (which seems to have a better fit than the white hybrid), cp360 (fit is good but i am not convinced with the sound, cp145 (this gets good seal, sounds convincing and fits good too), cp100 (yet to give it a try).

Do you guys recommend to try something else?

View attachment DSC00215.jpg

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,243 of 1,485
Finally got my ier z1r. I am thanking myself that I did manage to keep the m7 for daily commuting. I know z1r tends to be uncomfortable to some extend. I wish it had the comfort like m7/m9. i tried it before. I liked the sound so much that I ended up buying one for me. it felt like, the comfort it totally eartip depended, at least to me. so I piled up a lot of tips like final e series, m7's black hybrid (which seems to have a better fit than the white hybrid), cp360 (fit is good but i am not convinced with the sound, cp145 (this gets good seal, sounds convincing and fits good too), cp100 (yet to give it a try).

Do you guys recommend to try something else?

I've tried all of those tips, but I prefer BY FAR JVC SpiralDot tips in terms of sonics, seal, and comfort. Azna soft (white) tips are a close second - they are very similar to the SpiralDots and even make me wonder if they are produced in the same factory.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,244 of 1,485
I've tried all of those tips, but I prefer BY FAR JVC SpiralDot tips in terms of sonics, seal, and comfort. Azna soft (white) tips are a close second - they are very similar to the SpiralDots and even make me wonder if they produced in the same factory.
Thanks a lot. i have jvc laying around in my apartment somewhere. and planning to get epro horn.

Aug 10, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,245 of 1,485
The M9 is pretty easy to swap out these acoustic resistors.

Disclosures: by modifying your M9, you are likely voiding your warranty, unless you can fit in the stock filters before you send it off for warranty purposes, like nothing have happened....better be saving those foams. Also, by modifying your units, you are risking permanently damaging your iems by dropping glues or debris toward your BA drivers or whatever accidents....only proceed when you are prepared. Otherwise, leave it alone. I can not be held responsible for your units outcome and decisions. Pictures are for illustration purposes only with clear plastic caps for nozzles

1/ you need to find foam that is according to your taste. The less density is the more clarity

2/ then the thickness of the foams. The thinner the foams, the more you can bring about your mid spectrums to surface

*the M9 has a very thick foam filter with great density*. Therefore, I do find that the M9 has a bit of mid spectrum attenuated, bass is boosted, and trebles from upper mid to low trebles are a muddy mess. The materials I chose is 2mm thickness. The density is pretty minimal

This foam can be found in some of those boxes that you bought items before, probably Chinese made iems, or cheap ears bud or whatever. I found these foams and stuff it in a closest before I toss out the boxes.....so I can not tell you exactly where to buy these

So the items you need would be: tweezers, foams of choices, the 3.5mm plastic cover caps on the plug from the M9 stock cables, a razor or utility knife blade, gel form super glues. If you are OCD, you will want a cotton Q-tip and some strong acetones

1/ remove the stock foams by using tweezers, pull it out, the foams is sticking to the nozzles by one line of glues. Use the tweezers with good hand control to slightly scrape against the nozzles to separate the glues between foam and the nozzles *cautions: you need to turn the nozzles up side down, so that any lose debris will fall down with gravity instead of falling inward toward the drivers and the body housing*

Use Q-tips and dip in the acetones enough so it is slightly damped, clean the nozzles at the glues to remove old glues.

2/ preparing the new foams.

- use the foam sheets of choices. Mine was with minimal dense that you can see through easily and at 2mm thickness.

- use the plastic caps plugs from 3.5mm stock cables.

- wrap the foams around the cap tightly so you can trim it out with your utility knife blade or razor.

- carefully rotate the cut to cut out a cylindrical shapes. It is easier to cut it in circles without using forces. You need practices, but it is very straight forward.

3/ inserting the foams

- try fit the foams with tweezers, make sure that your foams will fit in without compressing it. The easier it fit, the better. The point is to gain as much clarity as possible, and the foams is used as a protection mechanism only

- when satisfied with the fitting, use a wood stick, or a tooth pick, dip into the gel-glues, and dap it onto the nozzles. You don’t have to totally wet the nozzle, just a thin line, just a very thin film is good enough. Be careful, if you picked up too much glues, you don’t want to drop it into the drivers or the iems body. Remember, you only need a very thin film of glues so that the foams is held into place

- then fit in the foam with the tweezers, do it swiftly as the dragging factors of the foam against the nozzles and frictions on the glues-film will cure it almost in second....depends on the glues used.

-let dry for about couple minutes. Then try pulling with tweezers on the foam to make sure that it is not fixed securely

Voila, you have upgraded your M9 signatures

So I started going through this thread to try and get my Z1Rs to sound closer to the tuning on my EX1000s and came across this mod.

It WORKS!!!

I experimented with different foams and lengths and ended up with section of real low density which helped curbed the bass from the Z1Rs while also allowing the mids come through better. This mod is good stuff for those who might want less of a V shaped sound out of the Z1Rs.

foamfilter.jpg

Now to experiment with cables for this new configuration!

filter.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back