Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,246 of 1,487
So I started going through this thread to try and get my Z1Rs to sound closer to the tuning on my EX1000s and came across this mod.

It WORKS!!!

I experimented with different foams and lengths and ended up with section of real low density which helped curbed the bass from the Z1Rs while also allowing the mids come through better. This mod is good stuff for those who might want less of a V shaped sound out of the Z1Rs.

Now to experiment with cables for this new configuration!

Interesting filter choice. Almost same length as the original but lighter density?

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,247 of 1,487
Interesting filter choice. Almost same length as the original but lighter density?

That's correct. This gets the frequency response close to how I prefer with less bass and an overall slightly brighter tone (without getting into harsh treble range - which I experienced with both no foam filters as well as short foam filters of this density). With the current setup cymbals and string instruments come across more clearly and vocals on acoustic tracks seem to be a more forward as well.

As a bonus, this works great with the stock balanced cable so am back to stock rather than having to cable roll. Wish I had know about this earlier!

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,248 of 1,487
That's correct. This gets the frequency response close to how I prefer with less bass and an overall slightly brighter tone (without getting into harsh treble range - which I experienced with both no foam filters as well as short foam filters of this density). With the current setup cymbals and string instruments come across more clearly and vocals on acoustic tracks seem to be a more forward as well.

As a bonus, this works great with the stock balanced cable so am back to stock rather than having to cable roll. Wish I had know about this earlier!

Interesting as for me, I go for medium density foam thin type to push the high as much as possible without diminish the 10k air region. Though being short/thin filter it sort of thin out the lower mids for male vocal but the resolution overall is impressive.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,249 of 1,487
Interesting as for me, I go for medium density foam thin type to push the high as much as possible without diminish the 10k air region. Though being short/thin filter it sort of thin out the lower mids for male vocal but the resolution overall is impressive.

It's really interesting and amazing to me that this sort of "tuning" is even possible. :thumbsup:

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,252 of 1,487
And are the filters made tiny or you had to cut them to shape and length of origonal

You have to find a 3.5mm cap and your type of foam to try it out.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,253 of 1,487
I am wondering how the sound without any foam in the sound port? I know that opens the potential for debris damage (earwax etc)

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,254 of 1,487
I am wondering how the sound without any foam in the sound port? I know that opens the potential for debris damage (earwax etc)

@crinacle filterless measurement is really accurate representation of total filterless.

Mine is not far off from it. But mine has slight dense filter to give the warmth

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #1,255 of 1,487
I could do a comply foam with WaxGuard but I hate them, a) if you dony insert them right and your ear bend bends the comply opening you get muffled sound and b) after a fre months of use they disintegrate

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,256 of 1,487

The overall sound was not pleasing without any foam - had a very harsh high range and the bass is weakened significantly.

Here's a closeup of the foam density I used. It's really easy to experiment by cutting to different lengths and/or diameters (to increase density when compressed inside the nozzle).

filtermaterial.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,257 of 1,487
I could do a comply foam with WaxGuard but I hate them, a) if you dony insert them right and your ear bend bends the comply opening you get muffled sound and b) after a fre months of use they disintegrate

In which thats why I dont like to use foam tips for that reason. Changing the main filter density is much better solution.

To my ears with the filter change, it has far less bloated tuning. With the high elevated and the mids open, I do find the overall timbre much more accurate and the cymbal clash more open, sparky and better decay (in which original tuning sounded muted). Though I am not sure to a fair few listener find that original tuning treble is harsh and sibilant.

In my opinion, I think the overall mod is needed to fix the overall muted (grand like) sound. But coming from a previous mainly BA iem, and the openess of the TH900, I felt that is a good change of sound.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,258 of 1,487
Stock hybrid tips do this on my M9 (bend/muffle). I had to get the JVC SpiralDot++ with the wide bore and haven't used a Sony tip since.

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,259 of 1,487
Are the AZLA tips stem diameter for the sony IEMs? Bought a trio pack at ebay , only saw selection for pack (MS/M/ML is what I chose). I ask this because comply foams have different bore diameters for different brands of IEM

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,260 of 1,487
Are the AZLA tips stem diameter for the sony IEMs? Bought a trio pack at ebay , only saw selection for pack (MS/M/ML is what I chose). I ask this because comply foams have different bore diameters for different brands of IEM
They are perfect fit. Also note that the diameter and tpe nature of the tips size down is recommended.

For me who use MS for final E type and M for SonyTC, I am currently using S for Alza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back