Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Jul 7, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #871 of 1,485
Hello, Giullian!
I've read your review there your compared 4 iems, it was very inspiring and informative.
Thank you very much for opportunity to hear your opinion.
Just wanted to ask you why you still have "IER-Z1r" in your signature "Current best combination"?
Hello mate,

As I said there, the Z1r was the best relaxing IEM and I liked it a lot for that and most of my time I listen to music like that. Currently I only have the A12t, but Z1r and M9 will be on my top list for now. :)

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #874 of 1,485
Since I just recently got mine yesterday (IER-M9), how do you guys use the cable holder included in the case?

IMG_0338.JPEG

IMG_0339.JPEG

IMG_0340.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #875 of 1,485
What are some options for external USB DAC/amps that have the Sony balanced 4.4mm output? Apart from Sony's own ZH1? Fiio Q5s?

I was thinking about getting a set of M9, but I would also like to try the balanced out via my PC. So far I don't see too many DAC/amp that incorporate the Sony 4.4mm connection.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #876 of 1,485
What are some options for external USB DAC/amps that have the Sony balanced 4.4mm output? Apart from Sony's own ZH1? Fiio Q5s?

I was thinking about getting a set of M9, but I would also like to try the balanced out via my PC. So far I don't see too many DAC/amp that incorporate the Sony 4.4mm connection.

Sony PHA-2A, iFi pro iDSD I think. Also some DAPs with 4.4 can be run as usb dac/amp. Can always get adapters as well.
FWIW IMO the m9 have sounded fine from just about every source I've tried, SE or BAL.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #878 of 1,485
iFi pro iDSD doesn't have balanced output unfortunately, but it is a very powerful and good DAC/Amp. I can recommend FiiO M11 DAP. It is beautiful pairing with IER-M9 using the 4.4 output.

According to the website it has a 4.4mm connection... I guess you are saying it is just SE output through the balanced connections for user convenience, so adapters aren't needed?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #881 of 1,485
My goodness, the IER-M9 bass is crazy! So the Z1R even has more ?

I would say more viceral and texture due to dynamic....

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #882 of 1,485
So, I found out that M9 has the “ZZzzz and SSsss” on vocal, some electric guitars may suffer too! That is because the stock cables, silver plated usually have this characteristics, and sure enough I replaced it to Ibasso CB12S which is Silver-copper alloy and copper OCC hybrid, it tamed this area while improves soundstages, vocal together.

I would say more viceral and texture due to dynamic....
I am glad to hear that. ATM, I don’t think I would want to trade off the comfortability from M9 for the more chunky Z1R. Anyone has problem using Z1R in bed laying on your side ?

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #883 of 1,485

Just get a 2.5 male to 4.4 female trrs adapter. 2.5 mm balanced outputs are more common.
AFAIK the only external dac/amps with the 4.4mm standard are the Woo WA11, and the Fiio Q5 with an optional add-on amp module.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #884 of 1,485
So, I found out that M9 has the “ZZzzz and SSsss” on vocal, some electric guitars may suffer too! That is because the stock cables, silver plated usually have this characteristics, and sure enough I replaced it to Ibasso CB12S which is Silver-copper alloy and copper OCC hybrid, it tamed this area while improves soundstages, vocal together.

I am glad to hear that. ATM, I don’t think I would want to trade off the comfortability from M9 for the more chunky Z1R. Anyone has problem using Z1R in bed laying on your side ?
I don't hear these sounds with my M9.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #885 of 1,485

Humm.... to me that dynamic feeling just hard to miss.

As for the size yes if u plan to laying on the side you going to feeel the pressure. As for me i just sleep upright, so no issue for me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back