Thousands of dollars of headphone gear + college campus = ?
Jul 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 52

Quote:

The problem with my gear is that it looks just as expensive as it is. 
frown.gif

Is there any problem that can't be solved with copious quantities of duct tape?

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 52
i certainly wouldnt want to suggest you live without your precious hifi for too long :p 

i say test the waters:  if, after a month of college, no one's laptop has been stolen, feel free to bring your head-fi gear.  laptops are a LOT easier to fence, so surely if everyone's computer is safe, your gear should be safe

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #19 of 52

Quote:
I was just wondering if any college-fiers or people with experience could give me some advice here. I'm going to college in the fall in a standard double dorm, and I'm debating bringing my nearly $2000 worth of headphone gear to campus or just bringing something like MS1s or maybe D2000s. Have any college-going head-fiers ever had anything stolen or damaged from their dorm room? I would still have my Etymotics as headphones to just carry around, so my HF2s/D2000s/whatever other headphones I decide to bring would stay in my room when I was out. Should my gear stay home while I'm on campus?

Funny with past posts i thought you're a middle age guy.. lolz

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 52
It depends on your roommate. I've lived in a triple with two highschool friends for two years and I never felt uncomfortable leaving all of my gear in the dorm. We never drank anything but water, diet coke and diet pepsi so alcohol wasn't an issue.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 52
It's not a good idea. When you've spent some time around drunks, you'll understand. Even if you and your roommates are reasonably good drunks, there's every chance they'll bring over some jerkoff friend or pick up a psycho drunk chick or maybe an impromptu party will break out and your place will fill up with passing strangers.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 52
I'd agree with all the above advice, especially the poster who suggested that you wait and see what your roommate is like when he's drunk. Another thing to consider is that he might want to have people over at your dorm that you don't know - this is probably something you'll discuss in your roommate contract.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #26 of 52

Quote:
Funny with past posts i thought you're a middle age guy.. lolz

Hehehe, I could take that one of two ways. I'm either more mature than most people my age, or I just seem old.  
beerchug.gif

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice, its great hearing all the different opinions. I will be sure to check up on all my roommate's (and roommate's friends) eccentricities before I haul up all my better gear.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 52
Thanks, I'll try my best. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of my downtime posting here still 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #29 of 52
The thing to definitely watch out is what kind of drunks your roommates are. I've been lucky there as well where there's been very little damage done to the place when my roommates have been drunk. If they do drink a lot I would be hesitant to bring anything of high value where they may get damaged either physically or have beer or them or anything like that. Unless of course you develop the habit of putting your headphones, dac, amp away after use if you can't trust them to keep it safe while drunk.

Also the first choice of college thieves are laptops. I doubt they would want to go after the headphones first since typically laptops and such have higher value but thieves may not know how much your HF2 costs :)

I personally would bring a cheap dac/amp and the MS1 or if you have a closed phone since dorms do get loud especially when people are drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back