Thousands of dollars of headphone gear + college campus = ?
Jul 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #46 of 52
I would take it. Music is a great way to relax, and relieve some stress (at least for me). I just got through with living in a HUGE dorm, and now I'm moving into an apartment for my sophomore year. I never had any problems with people stealing things, heard a couple of cases of laptops being stolen, but it was always in libraries or dining halls. Just make friends with everyone, especially whoever goes in your room, like your roommate's buddies. Keep the parties out of your room, because like someone else said, beer and electronics don't mix, and dorm parties are lame anyway. Just put the headphones in a drawer when you are done.

I brought a Marantz CD player, a PS Audio headphone amp, and my Senn HD580's. Hardly anyone noticed them.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #47 of 52

Quote:
I was just wondering if any college-fiers or people with experience could give me some advice here. I'm going to college in the fall in a standard double dorm, and I'm debating bringing my nearly $2000 worth of headphone gear to campus or just bringing something like MS1s or maybe D2000s. Have any college-going head-fiers ever had anything stolen or damaged from their dorm room? I would still have my Etymotics as headphones to just carry around, so my HF2s/D2000s/whatever other headphones I decide to bring would stay in my room when I was out. Should my gear stay home while I'm on campus?

Meh I brought all of mine.
Right now I have an s:flow // iBasso PB1 // K702 with BlueDragon cable for the room and library
and the same with some ER4Ss when I don't feel like carrying a box with me around campus :wink:

It's all locked up in my dorm room most of the time and I only bring it out when I'm planning on spending a lot of time in the library.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #48 of 52
I wasn't into audio in college, but my advice would be to bring the IEM's with ya and leave the other stuff at home till you can figure out a way to possibly secure them if your roommate is trustworthy or simply leave them for home use.

Have a great year!

-Nylan

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #51 of 52
You can build something your self with a lock and a hard casing. Also if your audio set up looks cheap it can be safe too, cheap as in boring black or whatever. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 52
i had $700 worth of head-fi gear last year in as a freshmen in college. Nothing was stolen. But it depends a lot of what college you go to and where you're dorming.

I had a single room, and was inside a suite. So for people outside the suite, they had to open the suite door, walk inside the suite, and then open my door to get to my stuff (2 different locks and my suitemates all look out for each other).
My brother on the other hand, went to a different college and had his ipod stolen during the first month. He was rooming in a double room, hotel style, so there was only one door and lock between the public area and his room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back