Thoughts on the Sony MDR-XB90EX?
Oct 1, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #33 of 48
I was going to say that these buds do have punch but they are more boomy than anything. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Make sure you get that japanese version not the indian.

Could you explain why to not get Indian version? And how do I differentiate Japanese version from Indian? Thanks

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #34 of 48
  Could you explain why to not get Indian version? And how do I differentiate Japanese version from Indian? Thanks

Order it off of amazon. they have a few specific japan import shops. The Japanese version have been reviewed as being of higher quality manufacturing. It could just be rumor but i wasn't willing to chance it

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #35 of 48
@yacobx

Well, my first phones which I ordered from an Indian store on ebay was written all in Japanese on the box and it was great before it was stolen from me at a train station. However, I have ordered another one but this time from a Japanese ebay store and it's on its way from Japan. Once arrived I will try to find the differences.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #41 of 48
Hi hi,

I also got into the MDR XB90ES these days, and I need to say, it is pretty close to the expensive flagship MDR 1000 I used and loved before.

The XB90 is close in terms of resolution, soundstaging, clear and colorful voices, lack of dumm phase problems. The XB90 is a pretty dynamic inear, not as lightning fast as the 1000k, but pretty close. On the other hand the XB90 lacks of the little treble peak around 13 kHz that I had with my 1000k.

With some devices, bass can get easy too much. (the XB90 is boomy with my Nokia 930 and needs strong EQing (-6 dB unter 150 Hz), but with my Zune HD it works out of the box in good manner.) This is the only problem I found, and it's easy to fix. So no problem at all, even a simple EQ will do it right if necessary.

All around: For me next to the no more produced 1000k, the XB90ES is the best overall inear you can buy. It prevents most common acoustical fails from other (far more expensive) systems (phase, multiway problems) has plenty of diaphragm area and resolution.

This is the V8 under the Inears :) 
Old school construction at it's best, no mainstream hype product mulit ba forget about these ...

I use the XP90 in gym and for monitoring digital recordings over the PCM D100. An no, I'm not a Sony fanboy, but I love good constructions  :wink: 

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 48
Hello everyone! After researching both wired & Bluetooth IEMs for a while, I got an open-box set of these xb90's off ebay. They indeed have quality construction and no lack of bass handling. After only a few hours, my ath-m50x set are laying cold on a shelf... I'm not saying that these IEMs put out more sound (I've put my m50x on my desk at work & played them as weak desktop speakers) but these little Sonys are lighter and much cooler than donning my full size phones all the time. And while I do agree with an old post in this thread that the JVCs have a lot of bass, the quality of this set is completely in another league compared to the $15 JVCs.

Thank you all very much for this great article and your insights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back