Thoughts on Sennheiser HD439?
Mar 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 73
Being an owner of HD-439 (and HD-449) I can say this: Anyone who hasn't tried the bass mode but with ALL THREE HOLES OPEN, really miss a lot from this headhpone! It becomes a new set altogether. The bass may be much more, but the mids and highs are better than when you keep other holes closed. The complete removal of the tape releases the HD-439 full potential, I would suggest to everyone to go ahead and try it! I know everyone says it is too much, but after trying it I prefer it over any other hole-combination. I also tried a thinner fabric to cover all 3 holes, much better than the default tape, but something was still missing. After I released it, the sound is just perfect!

Of course, I would STRONGLY recommend it for this topic as a BASS headphone! After the bass mode, of course, otherwise it is just a warm, mid oreiented headphone with a sense of "hidden" bass. Indeed...

Now, if one needs better quality, you can try the HD-449 with the 3-hole open bass mode. This set, is better than HD-439, but lacks some bass, or overemphasises the other frequencies. That is without the mod, of course :wink:

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 73
So u like 449 better than 439? I am always curious why ppl commented the 449 is better but recommend the 439. Is it because of price?

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #33 of 73
Saw the HD 439 at best buy for 35 bucks NEW on clearance.  I was like whaaaaa so i got them and am pretty impressed(doesn't touch my dt880 or akgq701 though).  I also own the HD 428.  Upon first listen of the 439 I noticed the slightly more open sound stage and more extended upper end(slightly).  I felt the mids were more refined but actually seemed a bit recessed.  The bass seemed stronger on the hd 428 but didnt have the same kind of layering as the 439.  I did the bass mod to both units and still like the 439's more.  But when I opened both, the drivers looked the same and even had the same number but the HD 439 only had 2 holes in the back???.  I might post a new thread about this.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 73
I think they did the same thing with the HD5x8 (518, 558, 598) line, the drivers on those are identical too, but I think they tune the drivers differently and obviously use different setups and materials in construction, which are what really account for the sound differences.

That is a STEAL though, I got mine refurbed for $45 and was very satisfied.
Saw the HD 439 at best buy for 35 bucks NEW on clearance.  I was like whaaaaa so i got them and am pretty impressed(doesn't touch my dt880 or akgq701 though).  I also own the HD 428.  Upon first listen of the 439 I noticed the slightly more open sound stage and more extended upper end(slightly).  I felt the mids were more refined but actually seemed a bit recessed.  The bass seemed stronger on the hd 428 but didnt have the same kind of layering as the 439.  I did the bass mod to both units and still like the 439's more.  But when I opened both, the drivers looked the same and even had the same number but the HD 439 only had 2 holes in the back???.  I might post a new thread about this.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 73
Didn'tget to try the HD449 but I wish I could! I saw those names under midrange centric headphone thread and I am very interested! Back to the HD439, slight recessed are there at upper mids and roll off highs! Similar though to the Sennheiser RS220! 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:
I think they did the same thing with the HD5x8 (518, 558, 598) line, the drivers on those are identical too, but I think they tune the drivers differently and obviously use different setups and materials in construction, which are what really account for the sound differences.

That is a STEAL though, I got mine refurbed for $45 and was very satisfied.

It really was a steal.  I walked out of there feeling awesome haha.  So I guess I am not the only one to notice that then.  There must be some good tuning cause there are indeed notable differences in sound.  Im sure there is a thread on it somewhere.  Still I am satisfied for that price.  The velour pads and thicker cable are also much appreciated over the 428. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:
Didn'tget to try the HD449 but I wish I could! I saw those names under midrange centric headphone thread and I am very interested! Back to the HD439, slight recessed are there at upper mids and roll off highs! Similar though to the Sennheiser RS220! 

Totally agree about the mids and the rolled off highs.  Im used to a much brighter sound signature too coming off of dt880 and akg q701.  Im not really to bothered by the rolled of highs though.  It makes it a more casual headphone that I can turn up more comfortably.  However when I produce music I need the detail the beyer and akg provide.  Someday maybe I will pick up some 558's or 598's.  My bro has some HD 650's which were wonderful.  Most notably the soundstage. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 73
Totally agree about the mids and the rolled off highs.  Im used to a much brighter sound signature too coming off of dt880 and akg q701.  Im not really to bothered by the rolled of highs though.  It makes it a more casual headphone that I can turn up more comfortably.  However when I produce music I need the detail the beyer and akg provide.  Someday maybe I will pick up some 558's or 598's.  My bro has some HD 650's which were wonderful.  Most notably the soundstage. 
I find the hd600 I got to be similar enough to the hd439 and 558 in that they sound like a sennheiser, but they improve upon every area and provide the flattest response for the price for mixing/recording. Highly recommend both for their prices though. Hd600 are incredible headphones.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:
Well, you can call me a Sennheiser and AKG sound signature addict xD Quite like the Sony sound signature but not the XBass line! 

I'm with you there.  AKG makes some awesome phones.  The 550 is really sweet for the price.  Very revealing.  I think the sennheisers are all very good sound for your dollar.  And as for Sony, I'm not always with them in terms of value, but they definitely make some of the best cheap headphones you can get.  My wife has the "rockin' buds" that I got her for $10.  While they are not as good as something like the ety er-4s or other similar phones, I'm constantly shocked at how good they sounds for $10 measly dollars.  Fairly revealing, good bass, not too bloated.  It's nice to know if you were out and about and you needed to buy a temporary headphone that they would do excellent for the price.  Or as a spare, or just a portable even.  Unbelievable value.

I'll stick with my er-4s though :) hehe.  HD600 is second.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

I'm with you there.  AKG makes some awesome phones.  The 550 is really sweet for the price.  Very revealing.  I think the sennheisers are all very good sound for your dollar.  And as for Sony, I'm not always with them in terms of value, but they definitely make some of the best cheap headphones you can get.  My wife has the "rockin' buds" that I got her for $10.  While they are not as good as something like the ety er-4s or other similar phones, I'm constantly shocked at how good they sounds for $10 measly dollars.  Fairly revealing, good bass, not too bloated.  It's nice to know if you were out and about and you needed to buy a temporary headphone that they would do excellent for the price.  Or as a spare, or just a portable even.  Unbelievable value.

I'll stick with my er-4s though :) hehe.  HD600 is second.

Excatly my thought! While Sony does not make good value to perfomance ratio, I still like it don't know why! The MDR-7506 are great for the price thought. 

While I always wanted a new headphone specially from those 3 brands, it's not easy to get. Specially when you are in Brunei. XD

OMG! I really like the HD600 sound signature if others were right about the RS220 similarity with the HD600 with HD600 much refined! Definately gonna buy them if I can find them cheap around my neighbor country xD

thanks for sharing! 

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #42 of 73
I read this thread yesterday and had to pick something up at Best Buy today.  While I wasn't in there for headphones I was curious if they carried these.  I wander over to the headphone section and sure enough they had them on clearance for $39.99!  I already have HD 600's for home, but couldn't resist and picked them up for use at work.  Will burn them in over night and give them a listen.  I have an old Headroom Little amp that I will bring in to the office and use with it.  I think I may also order a Schiit Modi to round it out (rationalizing the purchase with the money I saved on the headphones, of course).

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:
I read this thread yesterday and had to pick something up at Best Buy today.  While I wasn't in there for headphones I was curious if they carried these.  I wander over to the headphone section and sure enough they had them on clearance for $39.99!  I already have HD 600's for home, but couldn't resist and picked them up for use at work.  Will burn them in over night and give them a listen.  I have an old Headroom Little amp that I will bring in to the office and use with it.  I think I may also order a Schiit Modi to round it out (rationalizing the purchase with the money I saved on the headphones, of course).

What did you pick up for $39?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back