Thoughts on Sennheiser HD439?
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

-xX-Mew-Xx-

100+ Head-Fier
I might buy them. Just wanted to know if they are worth it. And if using an equalizer on a bass heavy setting, will the bass be good enough for a bass head?
Pictures would be great :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 73
Well i tried these out at best buy a couple of times. I was thinking of buying them as well when the sale was on. 

Despite Sennheiser saying they are "bass enhanced" or something, its not bass heavy. Doesn't have a ton of bass but it is pretty warm headphone (rolled off treble). I quite liked the sound. The bass on these though wouldn't satisfy a basshead though. Even if you try to eq it, it'll probably start distorting before reaching basshead levels of bass.

Also theres no need for an amp. They ran fine out of my iphone & clip+.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 73
Sorry I don't have much experience with bass heavy headphones in this price besides the m50, image ones, and maybe the m80s though not bass head bass heavy.

The image ones are definitely the most bass heavy of the three I just mentioned. The new version is even more bassy. I thought the first version sounded better and still has a ton of bass.

Sorry These are the only I have experience with. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more recommendations.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 73
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101XVH2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d9_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=06GFQP0VA015GNAN7TG2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

I heard these briefly once, and I have to say, they are quite nice at bass. Controlled, and relatively easy to drive. What source would you be using?

Also the HD439's are very nice sounding headphones, but not as bassy as it seems you'd like.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 73
Im driving it from my Sony Walkman . It is great at driving all my phones. Even 64ohm Beyers. But at home, i have a little RCA sound system that gives em for uhmph

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 73
okay, yeah, you'll have no problem diving the HFI-780's, BUTTTTT even low impedance headphones can benefit from amping :wink: a lower end FiiO might be nice, depending on what you want to lug around. My Brick-Phone (FiiO E7 strapped to an otterboxed iPhone 3gs) gets some strange looks in the hallway.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 73
M50, Image One and M80 not basshead enough? Wow! I find them very bassy not to mention the HD439 with quality bass. Enhanced bass does not mean "extreme bass" I find the bass quite big enough for basshead and it is well controlled. Very warm and also dark sounding. Pairing with an amp will help improve the lows and mids. It gives in better control and more alive. 

Hope this help!
Billson :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 73
Any time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back