Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jun 10, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #5,746 of 6,500
  Let's say it sounds like a PWD1 tonally (upper-mid emphasis) and somehow got flatter and less involving on the microdynamic level. The only plus is smoother. And sub-low bass is missing. PSA seems to have taken one step forward and three steps backward.

I actually preferred the Hugo to the PSA DSD. The Hugo is OK. But I still want to destroy one and film it on youtube because of how much it costs.

Hugo TT for my need is way better for the price it has the best dac around 5k$ and one of the purerst and cleanset amp you will ever heard, so l will rank it above Yggy .
I still think that yggy get A+ you need a tube amp to make it sound better it's very good dac but and that's the break point for me : it didn't has the touch of magic like high end dac .

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #5,747 of 6,500
Hugo TT for my need is way better for the price it has the best dac around 5k$ and one of the purerst and cleanset amp you will ever heard, so l will rank it above Yggy .
I still think that yggy get A+ you need a tube amp to make it sound better it's very good dac but and that's the break point for me : it didn't has the touch of magic like high end dac .

More expensive = better. Got it.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #5,748 of 6,500

If the Hugo TT sounds anything like the regular Hugo, then the Hugo TT will be anything BUT good for the price!

Please take however much Chord paid you and go somewhere else to troll / shill, thanks!

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #5,751 of 6,500
Jun 10, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #5,752 of 6,500

If the Hugo TT sounds anything like the regular Hugo, then the Hugo TT will be anything BUT good for the price!

Hugo TT is warmer more syrupy than Hugo. Unfortunately, TT is just as flat, dull and dead in terms of microdynamics as Hugo. Possibly even more dead. However TT does have a touch of euphony. Let's call it a euphonic deadness. Also TT still sounds digital in the treble - an unnatural sharpness and stridency. The warmth of TT tries to hide its digital sound, but I am not so easily fooled. Hugo TT reminds of of Invicta DAC, maybe a little bit better. Resolution of TT is good, on par with TT, but nothing special.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #5,754 of 6,500

Hugo TT is warmer more syrupy than Hugo. Unfortunately, TT is just as flat, dull and dead in terms of microdynamics as Hugo. Possibly even more dead. However TT does have a touch of euphony. Let's call it a euphonic deadness. Also TT still sounds digital in the treble - an unnatural sharpness and stridency. The warmth of TT tries to hide its digital sound, but I am not so easily fooled. Hugo TT reminds of of Invicta DAC, maybe a little bit better. Resolution of TT is good, on par with TT, but nothing special.

If using the USB input directly from a computer I feel there is a tiny bit of this, but with the Wyrd all of that seems to have been removed. To me it doesn't sound digital in the treble at all. If it does, then something like the Geek Out is horrible in comparison.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #5,755 of 6,500
Well, it's not my problem Ethan or Jude didn't hook up a Wyrd into the TT / Liquid Gold combo at the Bay Area meet or Chord didn't attach a Schiit Wyrd to their TT at CanJam! :)

If you are going to help Chord showcase their stuff at best potential, be sure to show it off correctly with the best tweaks available. This includes the Chord reps.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #5,756 of 6,500

If using the USB input directly from a computer I feel there is a tiny bit of this, but with the Wyrd all of that seems to have been removed. To me it doesn't sound digital in the treble at all. If it does, then something like the Geek Out is horrible in comparison.

USB has never been Chord's strong suit. Having owned the Peach, QB76, and QuteHD AND demoed the Hugo extensively (was strongly considering purchase until I found the Geek Out SE > Triad L3 Lion combo), I can say pretty definitively that USB implementation is not their strong suit across all generations of their DACs. Good transports via the other connections far outpace the USB inputs.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #5,757 of 6,500

USB has never been Chord's strong suit. Having owned the Peach, QB76, and QuteHD AND demoed the Hugo extensively (was strongly considering purchase until I found the Geek Out SE > Triad L3 Lion combo), I can say pretty definitively that USB implementation is not their strong suit across all generations of their DACs. Good transports via the other connections far outpace the USB inputs.

Maybe Chord should hire Jason and Moffat to do their USB for their DACs? I'm sure Wyrd and Schiit USB Gen 3 tech might actually make Chord DACs kinda, sorta, maybe a decent value?

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #5,758 of 6,500
I wish Schiit would make a USB gen 3 convertor. I'd buy one for my transdac

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5,759 of 6,500
I'll take a Uptone Audio USB Regen over a Wyrd any day.
and twice on Tuesday.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #5,760 of 6,500
Word has it that you should throw your TransDAC into the garbage and get a multi-bit Bifrost + Wyrd or Upscale Audio Regen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back