Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Sep 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,397 of 6,500
I'm not sure they stuffed enough capacitors into the Hex. Surely they could have fit a few dozen more?

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,398 of 6,500
The original Octave had just some resistors in the "output stage". No caps, no transformers. They actually said it has no output stage and that's why it is so "direct" sounding.

The DAC chips they use are designed to drive 75 ohm loads with no output stage. They just added some resistors to the output of the 4 DAC (per channel) to make a 82.5ohm output impedance.

The Octave mkII uses the OEM board designed for the HEX (which makes use of 2 of them). It's a modular board that can be slave to another one to create a balanced DAC (HEX, again) or be used standalone (Octave).

Metrum actually sells this OEM board.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,399 of 6,500
Clemmaster, is the Mk2 setup the same way as the Mk1, in that it just has some resistors in the output stage? I rarely know what I'm looking for when it comes to stuff like this.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,400 of 6,500
Easier said than done. Some "objectivists" seem hell bent on [COLOR=222222]proselytizing[/COLOR] others on the dangers of placebo purgatory. It's like they can't keep such awesome gnosis to themselves, but need to save all others, including those who don't want to be saved. It's like that time where that Jehovah's Witness knocked on my pothead neighbor's door when I lived in Satan Cruz.

That basically explains half the participants in the Sound Science Forum!

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,401 of 6,500

Easier said than done. Some "objectivists" seem hell bent on proselytizing others on the dangers of placebo purgatory. It's like they can't keep such awesome gnosis to themselves, but need to save all others, including those who don't want to be saved. It's like that time where that Jehovah's Witness knocked on my pothead neighbor's door when I lived in Satan Cruz.

LOL!  Love this analogy!  Great post.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #1,403 of 6,500
purrin,

you've mentioned good ol' Parasound D/AC 1600 somewhere, saying it's great DAC, but how it compares to modern contenders (NAD M51, Octave etc.)?

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,406 of 6,500
I have a funny thought experimen:
Here I would considered D/A chip, but this can be easily extended into DACs and amps
Lets take into consideration units size * manufacture gain,
I would (very roughly) guess that this numbers are like:
Realtec HD =: 100mln * 10cents = 10mln $
PCM 179x = 100k * 10$ = 1mln $
Some ESS 32bit chip = 3k * 30$ = 100k $
Some exotic FGPP  (whatever) chip = 30 * 300$ = 10k (I'm really guessing this one)

And think that this gain could turn into R&D investment....
You might not agree with the numbers (as I said this is just a guess), but it is something which is worth thinking about.
PS: I know (at least from some forums which I read) that the best equipment is basically DIY sold at 1k~2k$, made by a guys that basically started working with electronics like few months ago, using some few dollar parts [preferably using 50$ fully implemneted board from china] + super special [not produced from 1990, if you wanted to check them] military resitors and NASA grade capacitors, which basically distroys everything upto 5k$....

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,408 of 6,500
M51 has more microdetail and nuance but with some grain (non-annoying). Gungnir hits harder in bass and has more edge - is smoother.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,409 of 6,500
Have anybody heard the bmc puredac?  How is that dac compare to all of the previously mentioned dac.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,410 of 6,500
  purrin,

you've mentioned good ol' Parasound D/AC 1600 somewhere, saying it's great DAC, but how it compares to modern contenders (NAD M51, Octave etc.)?

If you really want an excellent bargain ($300-400) and don't care about being limited to essentially CD quality the Parasound and similar era PCM63K-based DACs are excellent. But at Purrin said, you'll probably not quite get the micro detail of a newer, more expensive DACs. They are for the kind of people who have large classical CD collections IMO, as the presentation of the usual difficult instruments such as piano and violin is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back