Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4,231 of 6,500
Quote:prepoman
 Tell that to the Bricasti M1...
wink_face.gif

The Bricasti just will not listen.........  
blink.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4,232 of 6,500
  I have a BasicIII model coming in ,next week

One bit of info Conquerator2 pointed out to me,was that the basicIII uses a different chip..PCM1702.,a slight downgrade..??
Some of the other models uses the PCM63P-K,which is supposed to one of the finest chips made...not sure if the PCM,translates into lower quality sound,I'd doubt it???

Maybe Lucas can chime in here.??

From my understanding, only the TOTL Gen III and Gen V used the PCM63. The lineup went from Gen, Basic, and later Prime / Progeny, Cobalt. (Sort of like Yggy, Gungnir, Bifrost, Modi). It's slightly complicated by II, III, V, etc as they improved things within the span of a few years.

EDIT: What stillhart said above.

PCM1702 is second best. :) to the PCM63.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,233 of 6,500
On the vintage Theta DACs:

I've said this before. I do not recommend them unless you can get them for dirt cheap. All the outbidding on eBay is insane. These DACs are ancient and likely to die at any moment, especially the bigger hotter running ones. The ones with opamps might live a bit longer, but be prepared to swap in new caps.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #4,234 of 6,500
  On the vintage Theta DACs:

I've said this before. I do not recommend them unless you can get them for dirt cheap. All the outbidding on eBay is insane. These DACs are ancient and likely to die at any moment, especially the bigger hotter running ones. The ones with opamps might live a bit longer, but be prepared to swap in new caps.

Totally agree Purrin. Audiogon and Canuck Audio Mart might be a better place for people to search because the hype is getting to be too much, that or there is just more general curiosity and nostalgia. 

I got lucky, my Progeny looks like it's barely ever been used before and also got upgraded to version A. Although cosmetics don't always tell the whole picture, my Progeny doesn't have a single nick on the metal front part or any of the vinyl case work.

A lot of these eBay ones look like they've been poorly maintained/nicked and I would be very careful.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,235 of 6,500
Interestingly, my adcom 600 uses pcm63 and opamps, it was dirt cheap and I plan on upgrading the caps. I give myself two thumbs up.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4,236 of 6,500
Now that I just bought from a friend his  collection of 2500 CD-ROMs of Classical Music
biggrin.gif
 , mostly rare CDs, I need a good CD-Player 

What do you think about this Aesthetix Romulus CD player / Tube DAC ?  It's got very good reviews...and a new "signature" version is now available

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,237 of 6,500
Apr 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,240 of 6,500
  Now that I just bought from a friend his  collection of 2500 CD-ROMs of Classical Music
biggrin.gif

Your money might be better spent on a NAS and an intern to rip all those to flac for you.  CD-ROM's don't hold up forever in my experience. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4,242 of 6,500

Why Flac?  Now a days WAV or AIFF should be even better. If there is a such thing..  Also if disk space is of abundance..

I thought lossless was... lossless.  Why use WAV when you can use FLAC and use less space?  Just to speed the rips?

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4,244 of 6,500
You may be opening Pandora's box, there are those that believe wavs sound better than flacs.

Still for archiving, lossless is lossless, and there's no reason not to use some form of compression.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,245 of 6,500
biggrin.gif

What do you think about this Aesthetix Romulus CD player / Tube DAC ?  It's got very good reviews...and a new "signature" version is now available

I have just bought a used Aesthetix Pandora DAC/PRE so I’m still in the honeymoon stage, but so far a very musical sounding DAC that do most thing good. Maybe a tad to forgiving for some people. The descriptions on the pros and cons I have read in versus forums and reviews on the Romulus/Pandora appears accurate, only want to add that it has Cojones. Truly fat and articular bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back