Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #4,218 of 6,500
Actually it went to 300 immediately after I posted the link ... but no worries, got enough popcorn
biggrin.gif

Add in a U12 and shipping and you're like 1/4 of the way to Yggy.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #4,219 of 6,500
Just want to say a belated thanks to Purrin for taking the time to share his Yggy and Theta at CanJam.  Could really hear the bloodline in them. Had a couple of questions I wanted to ask but you were busy with speaking with someone else and I left discreetly.  Anywho, got my own Theta couple of weeks back. Probably the best upgrade I've ever made out for my personal system. Thanks for the insight Marv!  

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #4,220 of 6,500
What if link provider is seller lol

hahaha that would be smart idea. The bidding war is going to get pretty heated if this item is at $300 ish and has 3 days left still. What kind of moron decided to bid super early is beyond me?? no one has any bidding senses in this bid

Below is how you bid on an item 
regular_smile .gif
 SNIPED

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #4,221 of 6,500
hahaha that would be smart idea. The bidding war is going to get pretty heated if this item is at $300 ish and has 3 days left still. What kind of moron decided to bid super early is beyond me?? no one has any bidding senses in this bid

Below is how you bid on an item 
regular_smile%20.gif
 SNIPED

Guess that would be an obvious idea for anyone who knows this thread and has such an ancient 'wonder' in the attic. I dont.

As for ebay, bidding for an item is like slapping yourself. Just configure a notification search and use a last-second sniper.

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #4,222 of 6,500
Just want to say a belated thanks to Purrin for taking the time to share his Yggy and Theta at CanJam.  Could really hear the bloodline in them. Had a couple of questions I wanted to ask but you were busy with speaking with someone else and I left discreetly.  Anywho, got my own Theta couple of weeks back. Probably the best upgrade I've ever made out for my personal system. Thanks for the insight Marv!  

Congrats on the acquisition bro! Which theta did you win and how would you compare it to Marv's. I'm especially curious to hear how it does against Yggdrasil.

I see many thetas are being sold for $400ish, offering the best performance to price ratio for a DAC.

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,223 of 6,500
Guess that would be an obvious idea for anyone who knows this thread and has such an ancient 'wonder' in the attic. I dont.

As for ebay, bidding for an item is like slapping yourself. Just configure a notification search and use a last-second sniper.

Absolutely, never bid, just snipe. I manually snipe and I have only once been beaten on e-bay. When you bid, you simply drive the price up, and many of these sellers make extra money on shipping and handling costs so why nail yourself on asking price.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #4,224 of 6,500
And I still want an answer to my Q ... is that one of the top theta models or just an average?

If you really wanted an answer to that, you could have done some research. There have been links posted in this thread to the Theta Digital site: http://www.thetadigital.com/legacy_products.shtml. From that link, it appears the Prime II is one of the top models. But if you were really just wondering if the model was a good one, you could have simply asked if the "Prime II" was one of the top Theta models...

And yes, I was looking to snipe it. When I checked the price this morning and saw it had jumped from $50 to $300, I figured someone in this thread had mention it or posted a link. Appreciate your thoughtfulness in looking out for all us interested in vintage Theta. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #4,225 of 6,500
My understanding of the theta models: Generation > Basic > Prime > Progeny. The roman numerals make it a bit tougher but using the link provided above should help a bit.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,226 of 6,500
My understanding of the theta models: Generation > Basic > Prime > Progeny. The roman numerals make it a bit tougher but using the link provided above should help a bit.

I have a BasicIII model coming in ,next week

One bit of info Conquerator2 pointed out to me,was that the basicIII uses a different chip..PCM1702.,a slight downgrade..??
Some of the other models uses the PCM63P-K,which is supposed to one of the finest chips made...not sure if the PCM,translates into lower quality sound,I'd doubt it???

Maybe Lucas can chime in here.??

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4,227 of 6,500
I have a BasicIII model coming in ,next week

One bit of info Conquerator2 pointed out to me,was that the basicIII uses a different chip..PCM1702.,a slight downgrade..??
Some of the other models uses the PCM63P-K,which is supposed to one of the finest chips made...not sure if the PCM,translates into lower quality sound,I'd doubt it???

Maybe Lucas can chime in here.??

Opinions vary. The 1702 is still R2R so it should still be a level above the modern D-S chips. As others have pointed out, the filter chip makes a big difference too: it's still a Theta.

I'm eager to hear what you think.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #4,229 of 6,500

Welcome and gratz. Cute avatar.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #4,230 of 6,500
Opinions vary. The 1702 is still R2R so it should still be a level above the modern D-S chips. As others have pointed out, the filter chip makes a big difference too: it's still a Theta.

I'm eager to hear what you think.

Believe me Dan,you'll be the first to know,and I'll probably have a few hundred tech questions for you-LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back