Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 4, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,661 of 6,500
  Guys,

What I posted previously was Theta policy when I was running it in the 80's.

As I said, I had no previous precedent to follow.  Theta was the first audio company to upgrade.

This is not Schiit's policy.  But here are the possibilities:

1.  Generate the most $ for the company, offer no upgrades, and sell new models as technology changes.  Screw all users and view them as maxx cash cows.

2.  Generate an upgrade program as a benefit for prior customers.  This involves a reduction in revenue for the manufacturer; the carrot is that hopefully it sells more units as it makes the offered products safer to buy.  This policy subsidizes all prior customers. 

3.  At Theta, I chose to reward the original customers slightly more than the used customers.  It was entirely workable for Theta back then with a brand new program no one else was offering.  It is not about what Schiit will or will not do.  We will work that out later.

It was an effort at that time for spreading the economic burden.  It was not perfect.  It worked.

As I have repeatedly said, God could appear to me and tell me how to build the perfect DAC, and there would be users out there who would hate the way it sounds.

It is also apparent that when one offers upgrades as a subsidy for technology upgrades - there will also be complainers. 

If so, buy somebody else's stuff.  We are not perfect - but we are very grateful for all of our current users - and yes that includes the used buyers.

Why are we even discussing this..

The Yiggy is not even listed for sale--yet?
The warm up time issue has not even  been completely addressed/solved..??
The windows driver problem-if it really exists,hasn't been solved,or has it?

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,662 of 6,500
Yes he posted on another thread, that the window driver problem was fixed.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,663 of 6,500
  Why are we even discussing this..

The Yiggy is not even listed for sale--yet?
The warm up time issue has not even  been completely addressed/solved..??
The windows driver problem-if it really exists,hasn't been solved,or has it?

Go back a few pages and all will become clear.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,664 of 6,500
As I have repeatedly said, God could appear to me and tell me how to build the perfect DAC, and there would be users out there who would hate the way it sounds.

Um wait what?
Yggy isn't' the God inspired DAC?

Unsub.
:)

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,665 of 6,500
Um wait what?
Yggy isn't' the God inspired DAC?

Unsub.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL,maybe..??,probably!!!!

Lets just get the GD item ,on the market first...

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #3,666 of 6,500
  I have been dealing with subjective impressions of cold vs. warmed up D to A converters I have designed for over 30 years.  Where there are many opinions, here are some laws of the engineering physical universe:

In the case of brand new passive components, reliability increases an order of magnitude in each successive 24 hours of burn-in.  In the 1980’s, with through-hole parts, approximately .5% of such parts failed randomly in the first 24 hours.  Today, with surface mount parts, the first 24 hours result in a much lower .01 to .05%.  This is precisely why I burned Theta Gear in for 100 hours back in the 80’s and will burn the Yggys in for 24-48 hours today.

As they burn-in and reach operating temperature, resistors mechanically deform from new and their ohmic value changes.  Typically parts per 100,000.

All resistors have voltage coefficients – this means they change their ohmic value as the voltage across them changes.  In the highest-grade thin film resistors, it is typically 0.005%.  That is 5 parts per 100,000.

All signal capacitors have some percentage of the signal passing through them randomly being absorbed.  This varies from parts per 100 (electrolytic caps) to parts per 100,000 (Teflon).  You guessed it – this varies with temperature.

The DAC in the Yggy is 20 bit -1 part per million considering a 1 lsb linearity error and the fact that there are 2 per channel. 

Now based upon some half assed experiments I have run on myself, I figure my hearing is good to somewhere in the 1 part per 10,000 to 1 part in 100,000, according to the parameter. 

But I am positive that if I can only estimate the quantitative accuracy of my own hearing that I have a very poor idea of what anyone else can hear. 

It seems there are a couple of swingin’ dix on this thread who have decided what others can hear.  You may well have more meaning and friends in life if you just keep your arrogance to yourself.

Stuff warms up – what is trivial sonically to some matters to others.  Nothing is broken because it performance varies within the above parameters over time.

Sorry if this has been covered, but from this explanation, there are a bunch of electronic components that behave slightly differently after a certain period of time.  

So then wouldn't that mean that all electronic devices would be equally as effected?  Why is the Yggy particularly sensitive to such minute differences compared to other pieces of equipment?  Or is it effected equally as much as other pieces of equipment, but for some reason everyone is blowing up about this DAC in particular?

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,667 of 6,500

Why is the Yggy particularly sensitive to such minute differences compared to other pieces of equipment?  Or is it effected equally as much as other pieces of equipment, but for some reason everyone is blowing up about this DAC in particular?

It's like coke.  Nobody discovered Cola before the french revolution, and now we have Cola, everybody asks about the difference in taste between different sugars used in different origins. 

Like you said, equally affecting all equipment. There is no other logical explanation. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #3,668 of 6,500
"but for some reason everyone is blowing up about this DAC in particular?"

Honetly,I don't know,but many of us,have been waiting for this product to emerge,at least I have,in fact,I sold my current dac,jus to help finance,the Yiggy.

I'll continue to wait,& thank you  ,Mike & Jason for all the hard work,you've put into this project

Mr.Rick,Redog ...thanks for the corrections,& updates.

Mike

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,669 of 6,500
  "but for some reason everyone is blowing up about this DAC in particular?"

Honetly,I don't know,but many of us,have been waiting for this product to emerge,at least I have,in fact,I sold my current dac,jus to help finance,the Yiggy.

I'll continue to wait,& thank you  ,Mike & Jason for all the hard work,you've put into this project

Mr.Rick,Redog ...thanks for the corrections,& updates.

Mike

I agree, despite some slight concern over warmup time the Yggy sounds like it will be an amazing piece of gear. I personally would consider the Yggy if it makes sense for me, but time will tell.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #3,670 of 6,500
I'm surprised the "leave it on all the time" thing is such a problem for people. DAC's generally don't run that hot. It's not that much different from leaving, say, a DVD player, a computer or TV on all the time.  It's not like it's a Class A tube amp. Leave it on and forget about it.

And I dunno, Mike's doing fine with PR in this thread so far.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #3,671 of 6,500
What happened to chocolate ice cream?

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #3,672 of 6,500
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3,673 of 6,500
If you leave t

If you leave it on all the time it melts.

So, is that the reason Purrin hated chocolate ice cream? He cannot leave it all the time? :smile:

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,674 of 6,500
  I'm surprised the "leave it on all the time" thing is such a problem for people. DAC's generally don't run that hot. It's not that much different from leaving, say, a DVD player, a computer or TV on all the time.  It's not like it's a Class A tube amp. Leave it on and forget about it.

And I dunno, Mike's doing fine with PR in this thread so far.

Agree completely, but the dissenting voices will always be the loudest on any forum. If Ayre, Linn or Naim suggested that a source should be left on 24/7 for optimum performance, no one who pays that sort of money would argue, but Schiit Audio has appealed to the 'Absolutely no BS' crowd from day one and clearly some of them see this as very much an Ayre / Linn / Naim thing. High-end audio with all the mythology that goes along with it - yada yada yada

The thing is that Mike isnt asking anyone to buy a thousand dollar power cord or a separate PSU for 75% of the cost of the Yggy (Naim..) and he's not going from forum to forum telling potential customers where to go and what to do when they get there (sorry, Charlie, but thats how you project yourself). Read any interview with Linn's Ivor Tiefenbrun and you'll quickly discover a prickly individual who has his own ideas on what makes for good sound and what you need to spend to get to that level - he's pretty much at the 'take it or leave it' stage. 

I dont see any easy answers here - either accept the relatively small overhead in terms of your power bill or wait till the R2R goodness trickles down to Gungnir. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back