Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,526 of 6,500
I just want to go on record as stating that I'm perfectly fine with any and all vendors contributing to my (ongoing) retirement fund and/or sending me gear free. Hell, I'm prepared to be more annoying than purrin, Mercer and Michael Fremer all rolled into a guy who acts like Jim Carrey in public and Bill Clinton in private, If I've learnt one thing in Thailand, its that corruption and graft aren't for people who want to go in halfway - here it's 'go big or go home'. Thanks in advance for your support. 

Lol I respect your honesty and I agree if you are going to go for it, go all the bloody way.:D

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #3,527 of 6,500
Lol I respect your honesty and I agree if you are going to go for it, go all the bloody way.
biggrin.gif

I have owned most of the Schiit amp/dacs over the years,and Jason has never let me down,both in price,quality,& tech support..
after they get over a few wrinkles,and finally release it,we all will be happy.

Mike

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3,528 of 6,500
Sorry - most would have recognised it as sarcasm and not having a dig at anyone here : simply trying to lighten the mood when there was a lot of finger-pointing going on between various parties. Feel free to ignore / block me - no problem - I just came back to a thread that had exploded after a pretty ordinary morning dashing around in the heat and things may have gotten a little out of control. 

I thought it was a joke, but sarcasm can be hard to convey, on the screen. Wish there was a icon a person could use to denote sarcasm. I hope my own sarcastic attitude, has not offended anyone.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3,529 of 6,500
I have owned most of the Schiit amp/dacs over the years,and Jason has never let me down,both in price,quality,& tech support..
after they get over a few wrinkles,and finally release it,we all will be happy.

Mike

+1 Schiit Audio rocks, I have 3 of their amps and swear by them.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #3,530 of 6,500
  Look what arrived today
biggrin.gif
   The NEW  AMR DP-777 SE.

The importer was nice enough to provide it for testing...  with my Eddie Curent 445 ( + LCD-X or TH-900)

Will it put my HUGO on retirement ?  (or I should say, on the road again)

looks amazing that setup! Is that preps AMR??

Let me know how it sounds i comparison to the hugo

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #3,531 of 6,500
Sorry - most would have recognised it as sarcasm and not having a dig at anyone here : simply trying to lighten the mood when there was a lot of finger-pointing going on between various parties. Feel free to ignore / block me - no problem - I just came back to a thread that had exploded after a pretty ordinary morning dashing around in the heat and things may have gotten a little out of control. 

No, haha. I responded unclearly myself. I actually got the sarcasm. I just did not understand the last part as in it went over my head. I did not find anything offensive about your post at all. Best,

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,532 of 6,500
There is some Theta gear on eBay bidding up relatively high.. it just shows how collectible this stuff really is and those poor saps that sold their Thetas around the turn of the century (as I noticed on audio forums) and decided to go for the "32-bit" D-S chips must feel like idiots if they really took the time to compare this stuff. Or, they just like shrill detail and digital glare..

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #3,533 of 6,500
The Yggys at the show had been left on since Friday evening, so they should have been warm enough. 

If I can attend another Canjam, I might see if I can't do a Hugo TT vs. Rygg comparison. A regular Hugo with a Schiit Wyrd is magical as a source IMO, if it doesn't seem to be as trippy-detailed as the Yggy. I don't think Purrin wants to hear about the Hugo any more though. He'll end up having nightmares about weirdly-carved aluminium rectangles at this rate. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #3,534 of 6,500

Mr. purrin,

Tyll has a nice video with you.  

I initially contacted you about the Yggy after J.Stoddard dropped one off to you lads for prototype evaluation. I seem to remember you being quite taken with the design.   You seemed quite focused, determined and authoritative at the time, now I see you are a pleasant fellow, much like your little kitten.  
[size=x-small]  In the 1980s I was active in the Consumer Audio Business as Exporter from England, Importer to the USA, Retailer in Michigan and Manufacturer.  [/size]
[size=x-small]I would caution you that achieving high levels of Audio Reproduction to Room Filling is a very expensive proposition. [/size]
[size=x-small]The finest Systems are to be found in Mastering Studios, built by Mastering Engineers [/size]with budgets far beyond any Home Enthusiast.  
These Systems go from 0 to 40Khz flat, achieve a stressless 132db of dynamic range and are constantly improved with interfaces by Bruce Brisson and Karen Sumner to the tune of many thousands of dollars.
 You are gonna need Deeeeeeep Pockets to venture here if you hope to approach Stax 009 performance in Mid-field or ( room filling ) monitoring capability.  Piano and Cymbals [size=x-small] push these Systems to their very limits .  [/size]

[size=x-small]I've turned to headphones because of the intense cost of creating proper near-field monitor system. [/size]

[size=x-small]An Engineer I know built a large egg shaped listening chamber ( one person ) equipped with a pair of Pro-Ac tablets as the Transducers resulting in a wonderful listening experience.[/size]

[size=x-small]I guess that I'm writing you today to say that I became exhausted from chasing superb Music Reproduction for a Decade ( 1975 - 1985 ).  I had to take a good long break to recover. [/size]

[size=x-small]Recorded music is far better now than it's ever been, so I'm back, collecting the World's music, enjoying the playback, happy with modest equipments. [/size]

[size=x-small]My best regards,[/size]

[size=x-small]Tony in Michigan [/size]

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3,535 of 6,500
I think I finally have my head wrapped around the long warm up times necessary for the Yggy.  For at least a week of thinking about it, the answer escaped me.  Then, it finally dawned on me.  It's the R2R ladder DAC.  Resisters do change with subtle temperature changes.  While this might be common knowledge the ninjas in this thread, the concept eluded me for some time. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Carry on.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #3,537 of 6,500
I think I finally have my head wrapped around the long warm up times necessary for the Yggy.  For at least a week of thinking about it, the answer escaped me.  Then, it finally dawned on me.  It's the R2R ladder DAC.  Resisters do change with subtle temperature changes.  While this might be common knowledge the ninjas in this thread, the concept eluded me for some time. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Carry on.

So it took you some time to warm up the idea of Yggy warm up time? :D

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3,538 of 6,500
So this is purrin?

And here, I thought this was the dude....

Or, this

Sorry, Marv, my bad.......................   
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #3,539 of 6,500

Lol love the happy face with the bullet between the eyes lol.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #3,540 of 6,500
Purrin seems really cool to me. I trusted his opinion enough to buy the Gungnir over other DACs in the price range and I do not regret it at all. Tyll's write up on Purrin was wonderful and the video transparently displayed, I think, that Purrin "know his ****" while being frank about his proclivities and tastes. Lovely entry on Tyll's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back