Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Feb 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #3,677 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to recent emails from Dr. Xin, version B will now become the standard default version, replacing both the original and version A.

version C will sound similar, but with a slight increase in power.

version D will have the most power, but will use a different chip-set that sounds less "tube-like" than the other versions.

of course, given Xin's capricious nature, season all information with salt.

hope this helps anyone still trying to untangle this web.

be nice if there was somewhere he posted the fact that D was less tubey, if that is indeed the case, instead of solely broadcasting that upon request in a private email, if he has stated that publicly i havent seen it.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #3,678 of 3,962
Thanks mrarroyo, its good to know his new standard version of the reference amp will be up and running shortly, i think most people waiting for orig version will be heartened with the news of even better sound, once again thank you for your patience and time evaluating all those amps, so maybe if i leave my original order in place i my still receive someday a good sounding unit,ed

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #3,679 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to recent emails from Dr. Xin, version B will now become the standard default version, replacing both the original and version A.

version C will sound similar, but with a slight increase in power.

version D will have the most power, but will use a different chip-set that sounds less "tube-like" than the other versions.

of course, given Xin's capricious nature, season all information with salt.

hope this helps anyone still trying to untangle this web.

I'm assuming that the B and C versions are the B3 and C3 versions that Miguel is currently evaluating?

Any word on the Home Edition?

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #3,682 of 3,962
I exchanged emails a couple of days ago w/ Dr. Xin. He was a bit cryptic, and it sounded like the tweaking was about to end for the Reference. However do not quote me, it was a very succinct email.

On a different end the C3 is sounding mighty nice! Next Saturday I may be able to meet w/ vorlon1 and go over a few portable amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #3,683 of 3,962
heres a nice little selfish post pertaining to my own circumstances....

i am in the uk and placed order in august 07 for contextual purposes.

at the time ordered the reference its price equated to £137/$279.99 approx

now it equates to £197 approx

differential of £60/$85 approx

at the time i ordered a supermicro at $169.99 it equated to £83 approx

now it equates to £120 approx

difference of £37/$52 approx

as i ordered two supermicros and one reference i am now paying £134/$190 approx more on my purchases

so to look at in one way i get charged £134/$190 for the pleasure of waiting circa 2 years for items
mad.gif

in other words you dont end up paying what you checkout with at that time.

those prices arent even including deivery and case options etc

no point in anyone chiming in saying you can always cancel, or xin could have increased his price also to meet the financial tide, i am aware of that and i accept what i describe above, i just wanted to air that side of things, rather than the amp technology itself.

thanks.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3,684 of 3,962
Exactly the same position as you, I am waiting for a reference, a macro and a supermicro.

Seriously thinking of sending the email to cancel.

Especially considering I am happy with my portable amps and would rather buy another pico, voyager and iqube v2 when that arrives.

The new prices means the xin amps can't compete imo.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #3,685 of 3,962
I feel your pain. I ordered my reference when the CAD dollar was at par with the USD. Now its less than 80 cents.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #3,686 of 3,962
This is one situation where the much debated payPal payment would have been preferable provided the amps ever ship

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #3,687 of 3,962
When I ordered mine the US$ was around AUS$0.97 so I ordered via paypal.
I have cursed myself a number of times since then. Now I'm back to wondering if maybe I did the right thing.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #3,688 of 3,962
Maybe the credit crunch will be over by the time the amps ship....

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #3,689 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't agree with this. The price of the Reference is roughly the same as a Tomahawk and cheaper than a Headamp AE-2. When I heard a Reference I thought it was outstanding, and on a par with some home amps, and according to Mrarroyo there has been further improvement in SQ. Many believe that Dr Xin has a good ear when it comes to sound quality. We can reasonably hope that the Reference will be one of the best-sounding portable amps, having a good battery life and the possibility fo 1/4" jack sockets, which is unique in portables.

I'm in the UK and for me the price has gone from £150 to £210. This is still not a bad price for what I expect the Reference to be, if I ever see one. I'm keeping my order in and crossing my fingers.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #3,690 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly as DennyL says, Xin's price in dollars hasn't changed so is still in the same place compared to other US manufacturers so the only valid comparison would be to compare with something from your own country in your local currency like Graham Slee amps. Your problem in UK is that the pound has plumeted even more than the dollar. In Euros the Xin amp (and all dollar amps) are actually slightly cheaper than they were 18 months ago and in Denmark the exchange rate (I think) is back at about what it was 18 months ago (but has been a lot lower so if shipped about 3-6 months ago would have been a lot cheaper than 18 months ago) so no price change at all. This is what always happens when you deal in currencies. It still sucks that it has taken so long though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back