Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Jan 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3,571 of 3,962
My reference too with him. I kept quiet till R&D is over. I didn't want to send it back later. I should drop him a line and see.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3,572 of 3,962
I have the Ref. A type I believe. I too just sent it back to Dr Xin. for change to the D type. Anyone knows the technical specifications difference between all the different types of baords? Dr Xin did say that the D type has more power... buffers, more buffers or higher current buffers added or .... ??? Perhaps Marroyo could be kind enough to enlighten us.

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #3,573 of 3,962
I have the boards, but Dr. Xin has removed the identification of most of the chips. He is doing so during the development phase. I can tell you that they are quite different based on the items I see soldered unto the boards.

However, I do not feel it is correct to take pictures of the boards and post them until the good Doctor finalizes the design.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #3,574 of 3,962
I haven't sent back my Reference back (yet). Have others just decided that the "D" is the way to go for them? I'd really like to read a little more about the perceived differences between each version before committing to a possibly lengthy wait for the upgrade.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #3,575 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by zackhugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't sent back my Reference back (yet). Have others just decided that the "D" is the way to go for them? ...

In his original post on a Support thread in the "Cool Talk" Forum on fixup.net, Dr. Xin advised folks for whom super-long battery life is not a requirement to "go straight to D", since it gives the largest potential compatibility and sound quality with the widest variety of phones in terms of delivering the power they need. I know from a fair bit of experience that the SQ of an amp rests on the foundation of its power supply and power circuitry. To me, the 50 hours (or so) of battery life of the D version IS super-long, so I chose to take Dr. Xin's advice.

So far, the reports on the versions have described the differences as being on the small side and the listening results of the versions being close. I'm as interested as anyone in the upcoming impressions of vorlon1 on all of the Reference versions in the possession of mrarroyo. I assess Dr. Xin's ear and sense of what features contribute to long-term user satisfaction to be sufficiently good for me to select a Reference version based on his advice. If it turns out that another version of the Reference is the majority preference of folks on Head-Fi, including those whose posts indicate that they hear things like me, then I will likely send it back for that other version later. If I were in a situation where I were already in possession of a Reference and had time to get more impressions before making a decision to change its version, I would.

Also, Dr. Xin, so far, has prioritized upgrades to returned amps ahead of new order fulfilment. So, with the good Doctor as engaged in his amp enterprise as he is, the wait for an upgrade may not be as long as it has been during the periods where Dr. Xin's attention was turned to his other areas of endeavor.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #3,576 of 3,962
If an amp is "powerful" (ie. depending on how you will define it) it is quite normal to get about 20 hours with 8AAA. The configuration I am talking about is an op amp with say 3 buffers (eg. BUF634 or the likes). To get 50hours and if can drive "challenging" loads (eg. HD6xx or K701) "properly" (ie. with ease) is to me a very commendable achievement. I suppose I should get my D type soon and will know of its drive abilities and refinement after I get it to fully burn in.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #3,577 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the boards, but Dr. Xin has removed the identification of most of the chips. He is doing so during the development phase. I can tell you that they are quite different based on the items I see soldered unto the boards.

However, I do not feel it is correct to take pictures of the boards and post them until the good Doctor finalizes the design.

The D version has additional buffers or different op-amps?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3,578 of 3,962
As we all wait on the lads impressions and their feedback to dr xin on the new boards, i reckon he is busy making all 4 prototypes at this moment with the view that all versions will be ready to ship asap, just a thought, worthwhile thought, ed.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #3,579 of 3,962
This is the thing, which version, to go for, all those waiting including myself are in a little bit of a dilemma, which to go for even though our orders are in, over a year, i think ill wait and see, a little bit longer before changing order from original (a) that was my reference first order? before all audio reports are in, then we will have a better idea! what do you think, ed,

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #3,581 of 3,962
I haven't sent back my Reference back (yet). Have others just decided that the "D" is the way to go for them? I'd really like to read a little more about the perceived differences between each version before committing to a possibly lengthy wait for the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

That is my exact point you took the words right of my mouth (not a song) you know what i mean, at this stage all is good i think dr xin knows his backlog, and then when, he decides on the different versions on order, through the lads, we can change our preference, at this stage to be honest,we wait and see, your version is probably up there with the rest, and the best ,there might be minor differences, but at this juncture anybody knows, btw i never even received one of his masterpices, maybe im getting old, not to worry ed.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #3,582 of 3,962
And finally, i know im repeating myself at this time,i just came in from a bitter storm winds lashing rain from nw in dublin Ireland more heavy wind forecast, tried to repair my sheds, could not, swirling wind and rain torrents blown backwood and me getting blowing backword btw,thank you before you say how nice it is in certain places like honolulu, people said the hornet which i can attest to, is all right, or p51 will carry you really through,good reports on which i have not tried maybe i will order one, not withstanding all we might be woundering forever,its a never ending story,ed

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #3,583 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by ed lynch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... btw,thank you before you say how nice it is in certain places like honolulu, people said the hornet which i can attest to, is all right, or p51 will carry you really through,good reports on which i have not tried maybe i will order one, not withstanding all we might be woundering forever,its a never ending story,ed

Uh, yeah, actually it was in the upper 70's and quite nice outside today, I'm sorry to report. Also, I do actually have a Reference in my possession, not to rub it in!
o2smile.gif

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with my amp, I lost track of how many hours I have burned in on it now. It's just that if I send it in for an upgrade, even if it's a short time before Xin gets it back to me, I still hate to be without it for any amount of time.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3,585 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by ed lynch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't sent back my Reference back (yet). Have others just decided that the "D" is the way to go for them? I'd really like to read a little more about the perceived differences between each version before committing to a possibly lengthy wait for the upgrade.

But Type B was commended by mrarroyo and perhaps better than D?
It has more battery life too. I am just waiting till more opinions come. Perhaps mrarroyo/Vorlon meet will settle things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back