Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Sep 2, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #316 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
djbnh: June 14th
Slappy: June 15th (CC charged on 15th July)
Comfycan: June 17th
Skev13: June 22nd (got the shipping notice on 27th July)
GreatDane: June 29 (shipping notice on Aug. 23)
robster: June 30 (Got an email for shipping within this week)
Kaushama:July 5th
Kugino:july 5th

883dave: July 7th
Nick Christy: July 11th
aluren: July 13
dslknight: July 20
Vorlon1: July 22
airbender :smIV for upgrade: july 25 (shipping notice: august 28)
stevenkelby:July 29
mrarroyo: August 6.

Next in the list at least inthis............ Yeah Kugino and Myself!
k1000smile.gif

well, kaushama...let's hope that no one else ordered amps in the first few days of july...way back when i estimated a mid-september date...my prognostications may indeed be right
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #317 of 3,962
Great Dane,
Thanks for the initial impressions. It sounds like the soundstage/detail characteristics are indeed the "signature" of the IV series: Micro, Mini, and Macro.

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #318 of 3,962
If so the channel IV topology works!! Idea being to reduce the distortion and crosstalk to maximum. If the clarity, separation and soundstage is improved significantly we have a winner. Other sonic changes are mainly subjected to opamp characteristics. So with Dr.XIN's last minute efforts, if the amp is very stable, we can play around with it to change the sonic signature with various OPAMP combinations.
Well done Dr.XIN!

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #319 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Great Dane,
Thanks for the initial impressions...

You're welcome.

I've been listening to my "portable" rig for a few hours. I just plugged in my HD650 and what I've discovered re the xfeed problem that I mentioned earlier is that with the SM volume at around 95% max. the seperation returns. As I mentioned, the xfeed seems to be almost mono but with the volume near max., which I needed w/ the 650(amp gain @ low) to get proper volume, the xfeed sounds good to me.

Now I'm thinking that my amp is defective. I guess I need to contact Xin (yeah, good luck w/that)

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #320 of 3,962
GreatDane,

Great review, thanks. I would suggest letting the amp settle a bit. Possibly turn the Crossfeed off for a while. I would suggest experimenting with Bassboost, it really pumps up ER4.

Thanks

Anand

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #321 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath
GreatDane,

Great review, thanks. I would suggest letting the amp settle a bit. Possibly turn the Crossfeed off for a while. I would suggest experimenting with Bassboost, it really pumps up ER4.

Thanks

Anand

I did wonder if letting the amp break in for a while would change things a bit. I might put in a fresh pair of NiMH and let it "burn-in" for a day.

I was just really disapointed when I heard the xfeed because being able to have xfeed with my IEMs in an ultra-portable rig was my main reason for buying the SM.

I really do like the bass boost with my ER4P , I haven't listened to my E4 yet.

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #322 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
I did wonder if letting the amp break in for a while would change things a bit. I might put in a fresh pair of NiMH and let it "burn-in" for a day.

I was just really disapointed when I heard the xfeed because being able to have xfeed with my IEMs in an ultra-portable rig was my main reason for buying the SM.

I really do like the bass boost with my ER4P , I haven't listened to my E4 yet.

crossfeed isn't always a big audible difference, especially with newer recordings. if you listen to a lot of stuff from the 70s or earlier, crossfeed might be useful, but IMO it's not that big of a deal with newer stuff. but then again, it's my experience with the headfive's crossfeed implementation, which didn't really do it for me. what stuff are you listening to?

Sep 2, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #323 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
crossfeed isn't always a big audible difference, especially with newer recordings. if you listen to a lot of stuff from the 70s or earlier, crossfeed might be useful, but IMO it's not that big of a deal with newer stuff. but then again, it's my experience with the headfive's crossfeed implementation, which didn't really do it for me. what stuff are you listening to?

I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately, new & old. Listening to female jazz singers is my weak spot. I like many different genres, new and old music(from early 70's and newer).

With my "home" rig I use the Corda Cross-1 about 95% of the time. After getting used to how xfeed sounds,I prefer it with most everything.

I've not heard the H5 but I imagine that Jan used a very similar design as compared to the CC-1. With the CC-1 I use the least amount of xfeed and vary the bass & treble gains.

Even with newer recordings that other listeners may not have a problem with, if there's any "ping-ponging" of instruments or voice , my ears get fatigued and it really bothers me.

I've done a lot of experimenting with my CC-1 and the xfeed on my Micro, turning it on and off several times with the same track, with hundreds of different tracks.

Even if I decide that I don't want to use xfeed with a particular track because it doesn't benefit from it, I can still usualy hear the subtle difference. I will agree that xfeed can "kill" detail at times, for instance with classical music with no "ping-pongy" effects but having well suited reverberation.

Sep 2, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #324 of 3,962
Quote:

k1000smile.gif

You can add me at the end of list at AUGUST 13
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #326 of 3,962
nfusion770: July 28th
is2us: AUGUST 13

OK welcome to the suffering!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
orphsmile.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #330 of 3,962
Quote:

OK welcome to the suffering!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
LOL!!! yeah, welcome to the suffering!

You don't realize how much suffering. My Melos broke and I'm now completely ampless !!!!!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back